Seeking somebody in my area with indepth owership knowldge and people to ride with, Northern Va

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Seeking somebody in my area with indepth owership knowldge and people to ride with, Northern Va

Post by NOVAwing » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:31 am

He everyone,

I want to talk with another healthy GL1500 owner to compare my bikes riding condition and behaviors with in person with our bikes. Maybe even swap rides for a short drive to see how my rough work in progress bike compares to a health one. This will help me know what I need to work on and fix.

I am new to the Wing so I dont know how my bike should ride and feel...anyone wanna help a brother out?

I am also looking for people to take day rides with on the weekends. Small or large groups, I aint scared lol. I live near 66 in prince william county Va. Maybe ride west towards the blueridge mnts and skyline drive or whatever away from the city.

Let me know guys, I need some riding buddies!

Thanks,
NOVAwing

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Re: Seeking somebody in my area with indepth owership knowldge and people to ride with, Northern Va

Post by CrystalPistol » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:37 pm

If no "bites", suggest getting to know nearby GWRRA chapter members, or over in Winchester Chapter F? Join on some rides as a guest. Develop some trust both ways.

I used to live in NoVa (Signal Hill Road in Manassas actually, but that was long ago) but am now a few hours away and rarely ever find a 1500 bike to ride. M ine is a trike and my 1200 a bike …
… and even I have to have followed some one a ways, watched their habits, get to know their capabilities before letting them on one of mine.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Seeking somebody in my area with indepth owership knowldge and people to ride with, Northern Va

Post by RBGERSON » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:52 am

try meetup.com...................................
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

minimac
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:20 am

I'll be in the area soon. Send a PM with contact info and I'll call when I'm heading there. My son and DIL are in Gainsville.

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:23 am

CrystalPistol wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:37 pm
If no "bites", suggest getting to know nearby GWRRA chapter members, or over in Winchester Chapter F? Join on some rides as a guest. Develop some trust both ways.

I used to live in NoVa (Signal Hill Road in Manassas actually, but that was long ago) but am now a few hours away and rarely ever find a 1500 bike to ride. M ine is a trike and my 1200 a bike …
… and even I have to have followed some one a ways, watched their habits, get to know their capabilities before letting them on one of mine.
Thanks for the advice.

No GWRRA anywhere near me that I could find on their site.

Meetups.com seems to be my only option so I will look more into that.

Your right about the swapping bikes thing. I didn't really think it through lol.

I will let some one ride mine though. Just let me hold your keys, or your bike.
I really do need advice, input on how this bike rides and how it should ride.

Your old home, was actually near mine, I live in Yorkshire off 28 lol.

Thanks,
NOVAwing

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:25 am

RBGERSON wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:52 am
try meetup.com...................................
Good advice, thank you.

This is what I intend to do.

Thanks,
NOVAwing

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:26 am

minimac wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:20 am
I'll be in the area soon. Send a PM with contact info and I'll call when I'm heading there. My son and DIL are in Gainsville.
Hi Minimac,

Thank you sir, I will do as you request.

Hopefully we can hook up if briefly.

Thanks,
NOVAwing

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:04 am

I have always felt that when I am riding, I am alone on the motorcycle anyway, with my tunes. Having other bikes in a group, all around me, is more a danger than a relaxation technique, unless I know the people well, and their riding styles and experience. I was with a chapter of GWRRA for a couple of years, and found that they could never go riding when I wanted to go riding, which was pretty much every day, and in addition, some of their riding skills were still in the needs improvement range. I would really just as soon ride with one specific other so there is company, but not overwhelming company. I had a riding partner like that a few years ago, but he died. If I could have the six man squad I served in the army with, who I knew like I knew myself, it would have been great, but that is not possible. So, mostly, I ride alone, and when I see a coffee shop, and if I have ridden enough to stop, and if there are people on motorcycles there, I am open to conversation with them. It is enough. I am riding a motorcycle for my love of riding, not my love of groups. I'm good.

It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey