Looking for lighting suggestions, I dont mind a lot but lets not go to crazy

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Looking for lighting suggestions, I dont mind a lot but lets not go to crazy

Post by NOVAwing » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:44 am

Hi again gang!

I need lighting suggestions for Blue here. She is stock and not very visible. 93 GL1500 Aspencade.

Yes to led, on any and all lights. Not sure about headlight upgrades but open to ideas.

I am interested mainly in red and blue lights really, aside from the missing front driving/cornering lights whatever they are called.

I already know I want a red ring of fire for the front.
Lower driving/cornering lights.
Some lights on the side of saddle bags?

Yes I have a front light burnt out. Also the other side is cracked. My understanding is I need a whole new headlight assembly, will go with a newer clear one eventualy when I can afford it. They seem to be $300+

Let me know your ideas, and price is an object, so cheap yet reliable is the name of the game here lol.

See pics below.

Thanks,
NOVAwing
Attachments

C-dub
Motorcycle: 2016 Goldwing Audio/Comfort/Nav ABS
Previous bikes:
2005 Hayabusa
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
1979 Suzuki GS850G
1983 Suzuki GS1100E
1981 Honda XL250
1975 Suzuki GT185M
1970 Suzuki TC90 dirtbike

Re: Looking for lighting suggestions, I dont mind a lot but lets not go to crazy

Post by C-dub » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:16 pm

Aren't red, when not being used for tail or brake lights, and blue lights problematic for the police?

Maybe not fluorescent type lights, but I think LEDs and others are.

I do think some downward facing blue fluorescent lights would be cool and make you much more visible from all around at night.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Looking for lighting suggestions, I dont mind a lot but lets not go to crazy

Post by MikeB » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:15 pm

Here is one post for you to investigate. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=42479
I did the same thing with my fairing side marker lights.

Here is another one to look at. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24194&start=25
I also did my saddlebag side lights like this. And, I did the center reflector on the rear fender between the saddlebag running/stop light assemblies.

The saddlebag and rear fender reflectors come apart pretty easy when you heat them up in your oven. 200 degrees is enough heat and only leave them in for no more than 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them. Too much heat for too long will warp the reflectors and you will need new ones. It helps to have extras to practice on. ;)
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:39 am

Thanks for the good advice guys.

I think for starters, replacing most of my bulbs with led's and adding the front driving lights my bike didn't get stock.

Also lights on the side of the bags.
The brake light flasher module is needed also.

Not sure about opening lenses to add led strip lights. Not sure I want that much of a project here lol.

Yes we have lots of dumbass laws about lights in Va, but I don't think they really bother bikers as long as I'm not strobing like a police/rescue vehicle does. Mainly want brighter lights and to add the stock lights I'm missing, and the flashing brake lights, and maybe ground accent lights in blue, plus the ring of fire of course lol.

Thanks,
NOVAwing

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:12 am

Replacing the incandescent bulbs with LEDs will be the quickest way to freshen up the look. The other way would require either modifying the existing parts yourself (like the reflector panels on the saddlebags and fairing) or purchasing aftermarket replacement parts.
If you are handy with a soldering iron and are creative, the sky is the limit. A lot of us have a few mods that you might find interesting and can tell you what works and how difficult or easy it is to accomplish. Look at some of the members photos and pick out what you like.
Attachments

Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Stew
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Post by Stew » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:49 am

For greater visibility from the sides, converting the side markers, trunk sides and saddlebag lights to LED strip lighting is about the best there is. It is a little more involved than using direct fit replacement LEDs but it's really not that bad.

The other thing I wanted to mention is if you get a brake light flasher, I highly recommend the "United Pacific 90655 brake attention module." There are others out there but this one lets you adjust the flash rate and duration, and is not expensive. I have mine adjusted to flash three times very rapidly before going steady, very attention getting vs some of the others that flash so slow they are almost blinking instead of flashing.

If you want to see it in action I can post a video.
Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 23,128 miles and counting as of July 30, 2018!

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:11 am

NOVAwing wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:39 am
Yes we have lots of dumbass laws about lights in Va, but I don't think they really bother bikers as long as I'm not strobing like a police/rescue vehicle does.
Unless the laws have changed (not), blue lights at all and red to / on front were often enough just another ticket / stroke on a stop. Like say one catches the operator for another violation or at a checking detail or just by chance … notices the guy ahead at a traffic light. Maybe a warning first time, next time a stroke.

You can light one up really nice and stay within the laws. You don't need blues / greens / reds to front / etc or the potential problems with them.

Just sayin'

Later …. ;)

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:38 pm

CrystalPistol wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:11 am
NOVAwing wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:39 am
Yes we have lots of dumbass laws about lights in Va, but I don't think they really bother bikers as long as I'm not strobing like a police/rescue vehicle does.
Unless the laws have changed (not), blue lights at all and red to / on front were often enough just another ticket / stroke on a stop. Like say one catches the operator for another violation or at a checking detail or just by chance … notices the guy ahead at a traffic light. Maybe a warning first time, next time a stroke.

You can light one up really nice and stay within the laws. You don't need blues / greens / reds to front / etc or the potential problems with them.

Just sayin'

Later …. ;)
Thanks Crystal,

I understand what your saying.

Northern Va is bad for cops and laws. But I rarely see any motorcycle pulled over for anything.

I was mainly talking about replacing rear bulbs with led's.
Replacing most of the front, front/side lights with led's
Adding saddlebag side lights in red.
Adding red ring of fire in front wheel.
Adding the driving/cornering lights my Aspencade did not get stock.
Maybe adding blue accent led's to ground effect, or accent lighting on side of bike. This admittedly will be last modification to make, and will be on a switch.
Anything else people like to light up that I have not thought of?

Thanks,
NOVAwing

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:34 pm

NOVAwing wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:38 pm
I was mainly talking about replacing rear bulbs with led's.
Replacing most of the front, front/side lights with led's
Adding saddlebag side lights in red.
Adding red ring of fire in front wheel.
Adding the driving/cornering lights my Aspencade did not get stock.
Maybe adding blue accent led's to ground effect, or accent lighting on side of bike. This admittedly will be last modification to make, and will be on a switch.
Anything else people like to light up that I have not thought of?

Thanks,
NOVAwing
I got to tell you, you will be much much happier with the results if you convert the fairing side lights, saddlebag reflectors and trunk sidelights using the LED strip lights than you would if you just used LED bulbs.

As to the red ring of fire, I don't know where you can buy a set with red lights. I would imagine they would be hard to find since the Amber is the most popular.

Also, the driving/cornering lights that your Aspencade did not get stock are okay for making yourself noticed but do not produce a lot of forward illumination. I made that mod to an Aspencade I had. I was less than impressed. I was quite disappointed when I found out the light filaments fell out of the bulbs within a year of use. If you do go with that mod, I recommend using LED bulbs. That lower cowl is no fun to remove just to replace those silly lights.

For making your self very well noticed as well as producing lots of forward illumination, I would use the driving lights that WingAdmin installed on his Wing.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34369&hilit=driving+lights

These are the strip lights I used for the RED saddlebags and trunk: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... 1466/2814/

These are the strip lights I used for the AMBER fairing side lights: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... 1466/3184/
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Stew
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Post by Stew » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:49 pm

Here's a couple pics of what I've done, I think it's fairly visible. The two in the garage show how bright they'd be at night, the position and driving lights are the Cyclemax LED drop-in replacement LED's... a little spendy but exact fits and very bright, for headlights I have SYLVANIA SilverStar zXe's. The rest of the lights on the side are LED strip conversion done using the DIY's on this site.

Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 23,128 miles and counting as of July 30, 2018!

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:09 pm

If I were you NOVAwing, I would listen very carefully to the advice that CrystalPistol gave you. He is a retired Virginia trooper and knows what will likely get you a ticket. Of course you are free to do as you will, but you have been told what you can expect with the blue lighting and red on the front of a vehicle.

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:14 pm

bellboy40 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:09 pm
If I were you NOVAwing, I would listen very carefully to the advice that CrystalPistol gave you. He is a retired Virginia trooper and knows what will likely get you a ticket. Of course you are free to do as you will, but you have been told what you can expect with the blue lighting and red on the front of a vehicle.
Thanks for the warning I understand.

I did not know he was a retired trooper.

I am also fully aware of the laws. Im also, or was a mechanic and car guy, you know, turbo imports and all that stuff. We even had blue neon ground effect lights on my wifes blue lexus for years lol. Only used at car events or sometimes while parked in the grocery store or something lol.

But I have to ask, if you cant put red on the front wheel what the heck is a ring of fire? Isnt it a red light around the front wheel chrome peice? Ive not seen one in person in some time. No biker friends atm.

Amber is legal? Except that will look lame on my blue bike.... might have to go with that, I had no idea they were all amber. Though I thought I saw a kit at cyclemax that said it was red, blue, and amber or something?

No worries, i'll figure it out.

Not sure about those side lugage box diy leds, they look almost too bright man! Does anyone have pics of just plug in led bulbs in the side bag reflectors?

Thanks,
NOVAwing