Melt Down

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
coldcanuk
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Melt Down

Post by coldcanuk » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:37 pm

I went for a nice "Hot" day ride yesterday and all went well. When I got home I left the bike outside (like I always do) to cool down. About 2 hours later I went out to back it into the garage. It seemed to be stuck in gear, however I also noticed that I had no dash light except "cruise on". I checked the fuse box and noticed that the #8 fuse (15 amp) had melted down to nothing. Did I mention that it was HOT?? I have never had anything melt before. :shock:

I cleaned the are up and replaced the fuse, but I still have no dash lights. Thinking it may be the #3 relay as I have had to replace this one before (why do they make it so easy to get to relay#3??).

I am wondering if this has happened to any others out there?

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Re: Melt Down

Post by Uncle Fester » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:08 am

The melt down of the fuse, if it was just the fuse and not the fuse panel, sounds like possibly the result of a cheap “Chinese” fuse that was not built to specs. If it was the whole fuse panel at that fuse position, some thing shorted between the fuse and battery, but that SHOULD have been caught by the main dog bone fuse, or so I thought.
On a hunch, look BEHIND the fuse and see if a screw fell back there at some point in the past, and just now moved just right (wrong?) to short things out back there.
As for relay #3 , I agree, IT SUCKS getting to it, but replacing it cured my dash and running light issues on my ‘96 Aspencade.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:24 am

I've had 20 amp fuse holder and there fuse melt together.The cause was a corroded/poor connection between the fuse blade and the connector.This created a bunch of heat.
You may find that the fuse block connections are also needing to be replaced.

coldcanuk

Post by coldcanuk » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:30 am

I have had to replace #3 before as the dash symptoms were the same, but have never had a fuse melt in the fuse block. Not sure if it was a chinese fuse or not as it has never blown before in the time that I have owned it. We did have a really hot day up here in central Alberta up around 95F. The pavement would have been at least 10 degrees warmer.

I hope I will get some time today to work on it.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:17 am

Very unlikely that the meltdown was caused by high ambient temperatures.

When fuses melt like that, the most common cause is dirt and/or oxidation in either the fuse blades, or more commonly, in the terminal itself where the fuse plugs into.

If there is any kind of dirt or oxidation where the fuse blades contact the terminal, and this causes resistance, you're going to have a problem. Current flowing through that resistance will cause heat. Heat causes movement as it expands and contracts, which exacerbates the problem. It can also accelerate the oxidation. As the resistance gets worse from the heat, it generates more heat, which creates more resistance, which creates more heat...you can see where this is going.

It's the exact same thing that melts the "three yellow wire" stator connector on the four-cylinder Wings.

coldcanuk

Post by coldcanuk » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:44 am

Good to know, I will start there. Thanks