Looking for front speakers 93 GL1500A

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Looking for front speakers 93 GL1500A

Post by NOVAwing » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:12 am

I have looked at the site, and online for the speakers people recommend.

However it seems none of those are available anymore, or are very over priced.

Cyclemax.com has been invaluable for parts so far, but I don't want their old cheap paper speakers, even though they are lower cost. I want this to be a 1 time repair for the next 10 years give or take lol.

Can anyone recommend decent front water proof speakers that fit without major mods, that are reasonably priced and available?
I also need rear speakers but not this job, they will come later in the fall.

Also would like to get the foam buckets for them, front and rear, but not sure where/what ones to buy?

If anyone has some current info, recommendations I'd love to know more please.

Thanks,
NOVAwing

NOVAwing
1993 GL1500 Aspencade, restored from 4 years rotting outside.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: Looking for front speakers 93 GL1500A

Post by bluthundr31 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:24 pm

Earlier this year, I replaced the old OEM speakers in the front with Kenwood 1065's and I'm pleased with sound quality/ fitment was great,(got the baffles too)/ and price was reasonable. I don't know what your budget is, but IIRC, these Kenwoods were $29. They are NOT waterproof though, , I don't plan on riding in the rain anyway, , ,so its not an issue for me. The waterproof classification is going to increase the price dramatically, no matter what brand you choose.
When I was "researching/lurking" for some replacement speakers, LOTS & LOTS of folks on here spoke of the Polk 401's (now they're 402's) as a good front speaker for the 1500's. The Polk 402's are waterproof, for about $70. Amazon has em in stock.

Additional: Kenwood 1095's are "water-resistant" but NOT waterproof and are in the $80 range. The "marine quality" speakers were out of my budget, hence the 1065's were my choice, and they are performing above expectations.