Need advice on carb rebuilt

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Need advice on carb rebuilt

Post by Elmobile » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:58 pm

I run into an issue that I never seen being discussed before on this forum. I am in the process of rebuilding my carburetors on my 1990 GL 1500. Got a Randall kit. Did the left carb. All went well until I got to the air mixture screw. It is ceased and will not move. Check the other carb and it is the same issue. I even got the proper D shaped tool but nothing move.
The bike was running well before I got started. Meaning idle an low rpm pick up was OK. However it was running very rich with a strong smell of gas and low fuel mileage hence the carb rebuild. Since I found that the 90 dog tube under the carbs was bad which would explain the poor mileage.
So now what should I do? Leave the air mixture alone or have them machined out and replaced them with new one ( I did purchase them already). There is always a chance that the thread could get damaged during the machining.
I had this done on a Bing carb before and all went well but... can’t make my mind! Looking for your thoughts.

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Re: Need advice on carb rebuilt

Post by RockportDave » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:29 pm

I would get some carb cleaner and soak them. I soaked mine for 1 hour each, rinsed them with water, then sprayed them with carb spray through every port to get the water out. Be sure they are stripped as bare as possible, no rubber or plastic. I used Berrymans.

My carbs after 1 hour in the dip. I did it because of the very small ports I couldn’t get spray through. After the dip they were very clean.

Then spray some penetrating oil on the screws and let them set.
They need to be set per the initial setting the manual calls for.
Also, be sure to set the floats as close as possible to what the manual calls for so your not running to lean or rich.
Dave
1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years