which Highway pegs do you suggest?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
brian darflinger
Motorcycle: 1996 gl1500

which Highway pegs do you suggest?

Post by brian darflinger » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Hello everyone!!
Ive tried to search the topic, but couldnt find any specific highway pegs in any discussions. - Its'for my 1996 gl1500.
I have that engine guard that flares out,- So not just any peg will do.-
Does anyone here have a pair they love?- Which one?
Thanks in advance!
-Brian

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Re: which Highway pegs do you suggest?

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:22 pm

owned two 1500s, both had solid pegs on the vertical bars.
okay, sort of.... but I did not like them because IF, you lay down, they will dig into the asphalt and spin you violently...

( their pegs fit the 1500s also, my bike is an 1800, don't let that distract you )

just ask Gene Lester about that, and DaveO430.....
Gene ended up with most of his ribs on one side broken, broken clavicle, hip problems...
nearly a year off the bike, went to a trike.

on my 1800 the decision was no more solid pegs, I went to Mick-O-Pegs which will spring backwards up out of the way, and can't touch the ground.

www.ridingiswonderful.com

here is the left side of the bike with the peg at the topmost position, it is angled upwards about 30°
https://i.imgur.com/uhEFn0Q.jpg

here you can see it from the side
https://i.imgur.com/Ag3VtnM.jpg

when my feet are on them, they drop down to let my legs go forward and down in a natural position.

I can stand on those pegs, butt off the seat, lean hard onto the backrest and ride for miles, lets the hip cramps go away.

I used the direct links to the pictures so you can see them Full Screen. not cramped on the forum's page.
Last edited by AZgl1800 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~John

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:24 pm

If you go with Mick O Pegs,

please call them on the phone, that is the only way that you can get the correct peg mounting for " Your legs " and riding style.

their pegs are very flexible in mounting positions, and with the way you like to ride.

that is why you need to call them, a chart with a bunch of boxes just won't do it....

1) do you like for the foot to rest "inside the bracket" ( prevents your foot from getting off sideways )

2) do you like for the bracket to be "inside towards the bike" like mine. ( can pull foot off sideways or backwards )

3) do you like for your legs to be up high ( ugh ), or down low and straight in a normal manner ( like mine )

http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/attach ... t_down.jpg

once you get them, it is your option to have the foot peg horizontal with the ground, or angled up a bit like mine. ( tried both ways, and angling it up is safer, and more comfortable. your foot drops into that Vee shape and rests there easily )

If you go into a twisty and forget to pull your foot back, you will feel a slight tingle on the heel of your boot, and just naturally lift your foot up, and the peg springs back where it should be, and you put your foot back on the OEM foot pegs.... done that a few times.

To get that Angled up position, I used two 12 inch crescents, and twisted the arm of the bracket about 1/3rd from the outer end. Worked like a charm. The actual mounting brackets will pivot on the bars, so there is an option to angle the foot peg from there.

it all depends on how your Crash Bars are designed.
~John

brian darflinger
Motorcycle: 1996 gl1500

Post by brian darflinger » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Thank you for the suggestion John
WAY out of my budget for pegs tho..

aholloway17
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Interstate

Post by aholloway17 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:35 pm

Whatever you choose to do, get pegs that are built well. That means solid steel not forged metal. Many pegs on the market today usually under the $100 range are forged metal. They are cheap and can be dangerous because they are forged and they do not hold up to bearing weight. Just my two cents!

Good Luck,

1994 GL1500 Interstate