1990 GW Hard starting when hot

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

1990 GW Hard starting when hot

Post by bustedwing » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:17 am

Hello all! I have a problem with my trike, it starts fine when cold, I have installed new glass battery, new spark plugs, all new vacuum and fuel lines, 40k on timing belt, checked and cleaned all connections on battery, the only thing I can find is when trying to start when hot is it acts like the engine is binding up and the starter relay is very hot even tho it only turned for 2 or 3 seconds. I know it is a lot of power, and I also have tried to start it when cold, let it run for just a few minutes then shut it off and start it again and its fine, no smell of gas. Any ideas? Thanx, Bud.

Proud member Patriot Guard

Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Re: 1990 GW Hard starting when hot

Post by Snowmoer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:54 am

How is the condition of the rubber mat that is over the engine? The one on my 88 is falling apart and needs to be replaced. My bike does the same thing as yours when the air temp is above 85 degrees and sits for more than 10 to 15 minutes. If it sits for more than an hour, no problems starting. It did not do this when the mat was in better shape. The heat is affecting the fuel in the carb. I crack the throttle just a little while cranking and it will normally start. It runs rough until I get it going and get some air moving. After that, it runs great. I am going to replace the mat this winter. The thing I hate, it is $60.00!

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Post by bustedwing » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:13 pm

Snowmoer wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:54 am

How is the condition of the rubber mat that is over the engine? The one on my 88 is falling apart and needs to be replaced. My bike does the same thing as yours when the air temp is above 85 degrees and sits for more than 10 to 15 minutes. If it sits for more than an hour, no problems starting. It did not do this when the mat was in better shape. The heat is affecting the fuel in the carb. I crack the throttle just a little while cranking and it will normally start. It runs rough until I get it going and get some air moving. After that, it runs great. I am going to replace the mat this winter. The thing I hate, it is $60.00!
You know, I did see that rubber mat while I was replacing fuel hoses, and it was really detierated, so I just round filed it! And it just so happens that I have some better mat already, so I might be able to let you know in a few days if it works of not, thank you very much for jogging my memory!
Proud member Patriot Guard

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:56 pm

bustedwing wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:13 pm
Snowmoer wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:54 am

You know, I did see that rubber mat while I was replacing fuel hoses, and it was really detierated, so I just round filed it! And it just so happens that I have some better mat already, so I might be able to let you know in a few days if it works of not, thank you very much for jogging my memory!
That mat is there for a reason - it prevents heat from the engine freely travelling up and vaporizing fuel in the carburetors - vapor lock. You might want to replace it (a high temperature silicone sheet might work well).