Another "my radio is dying" thread

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Another "my radio is dying" thread

Post by NOVAwing » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:58 pm

So my radio is dying.

Right after I bought new front speakers, moved the old partly blown fronts to the rear, and added the fader wiring harness for the rear.

My radio mutes itself randomly, on fm which is all I use. It is not the handle bar mounted switch.

If I tap, and beat hard on the main unit it may randomly un-mute. Then a bump in the road, or applying throttle will cause it to mute again, randomly....

Messing with the mute button or the station search lever next to it has no effect. Also noticed when muted I can not adjust stations, the lever does nothing. Not sure if this is normal while muted or is it a clue?

Ive been so frustrated with it, I sometimes open and close the tape drive instead of pounding the main body.

Today otw to work, at a long traffic light I slammed the tape closed to hard.
It snapped the end off and shot it into the next lane beside me lol.

I got it back and will try to glue it back on and never touch it again.
Pic below.

Is this mute issue known, and what can be done if anything?

Stupid prices for these used tape decks, no chance I will get one unless I find one for $10 lol. Thats what its worth, at best.

Looks like I will be figuring a way to mount an aftermarket marine stereo and tapping into the speaker lines sooner than expected.

I need my morning news, and rest of the day classic rock stations lol.

Thanks for reading!
Attachments

NOVAwing
1993 GL1500 Aspencade, restored from 4 years rotting outside.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

SG_Jay
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Another "my radio is dying" thread

Post by SG_Jay » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:52 pm

I'd be more inclined to think that rather than "muting" itself, there's a loose connection issue somewhere. Make sure that big connector to the radio is tight and look closely at each wire. Check for loose terminals on each of them, or something obviously not making a tight connection. Check the wiring you did adding the fader also.

If everything there looks good, you might want to open it up and see if you can find a broken or loose solder joint. Nothing to lose at this point, the worst that'll happen is nothing and you'll still be looking for a way to replace it.

Also, not a bad idea to spray both connectors and clean everything up really good. Could be as simple as that.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:27 pm

I think as a first step I would call Sierra Electronics https://www.sierra-mc.com/contact.asp. They are the Gold Wing audio experts.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

curtm
Motorcycle: 91 GL 1500 Aspencade Anniversary Canadian Edition

Post by curtm » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:20 am

Has anyone come up with a good looking alternative to the OEM radio, That you don't have to be a master tin smith or an electronics engineer to figure out, would also like the search button to work on the left hand grip, and at a good price, Dont want to spend $1000 to do it

Curt

Stew
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Post by Stew » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:58 am

There used to be a standard DIN adapter available for the 1500 but it hasn't been made for a while. If we're putting in parts requests in the following thread maybe we could add that to the list! :D
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43337

Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 24,532 miles and counting as of Oct 17, 2018!