Oil Leak


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
User avatar
DougEFresh1123
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:22 am
Location: Villa Park, IL
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 Honda Goldwing 1500SE

Oil Leak

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:06 am



Just venting folks.

Well the ride home from work last night started and ended on a frustrating note. :x

I started the bike up and as she was warming up I caught a whiff of the distinct smell of oil burning. :o Rode the bike home and after pulling into the driveway I asked my 23 year old son if he smelled burning oil, just wanted to confirm, plus my wife says my sniffer doesn't work right :roll: . He said yep that's how I knew you were home, he was working in the garage cleaning out his toolboxes and had the music cranked up.

Pop the bike up onto the center stand and look underneath and sure enough the bottom of the left side of the engine was covered with oil, looked like it was covered from front to back and left to right, we didn't see anything on the right side.

One more thing :o , as he is looking under the bike he was also able to see the front left caliper and he asks if my front brakes are hydraulic. I said yes front and the back brakes too, why? He says looks like the front caliber is leaking, may need to be replaced or possibly re-built. :x

Looks like my "winter" maintenance list of changing timing belts, spark plugs, the various oil, fuel, air and sub filters, oil change, final drive oil change, brake and clutch fluid flush is growing. Based on one of my previous post of what I have deemed as low fuel mileage I added checking out the choke cable operation, and possibly a carb cleaning to the list. Well now I also get to add find oil leak. :(

Looks like I will be spending the next "x" number of days pulling off most of the plastic off the bike and draining/pulling the gas tank. On the plus side since I'm going to have just about everything pulled off I might be able to find the pesky radiator fluid leak that evaded the previous owner. The PO is a good friend of ours and he could never find the source, never had to add fluid and the radiator was always full and the overflow was always at an acceptable level.

Thanks folks, I feel better. No not really but isn't that what you are supposed to say after venting?

Any ways have a great weekend and safe riding.

Doug


'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

MarkZ28
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:43 pm
Location: Grant, AL USA!
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Oil Leak

Post by MarkZ28 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:50 am

Check the shifter rod seal, if its flopping around it wil wreck the seal.

User avatar
DougEFresh1123
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:22 am
Location: Villa Park, IL
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 Honda Goldwing 1500SE

Re: Oil Leak

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:00 am

MarkZ28 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:50 am
Check the shifter rod seal, if its flopping around it wil wreck the seal.
Thanks Mark!
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

User avatar
bellboy40
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Brewton, AL
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green

Re: Oil Leak

Post by bellboy40 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:27 pm

That oil leak is likely the shifter shaft seal as was mentioned. I would clean off the caliper good and spray it with some brake cleaner to get all the brake fluid off. Then press on the rear brake pedal and see if any new fluid appears. That left front caliper is operated by the rear brake pedal. It sounds like a caliper rebuild is in your future.

User avatar
DougEFresh1123
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:22 am
Location: Villa Park, IL
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 Honda Goldwing 1500SE

Re: Oil Leak

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:56 pm

bellboy40 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:27 pm
That oil leak is likely the shifter shaft seal as was mentioned. I would clean off the caliper good and spray it with some brake cleaner to get all the brake fluid off. Then press on the rear brake pedal and see if any new fluid appears. That left front caliper is operated by the rear brake pedal. It sounds like a caliper rebuild is in your future.
Thank you! Since i'm not mechanical where exactly should I be looking for the shifter shaft seal? I hope not, but better to plan for the worst and be pleasantly surprised when things go your way. "If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck" - Rodney Dangerfield.

Doug
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

User avatar
bellboy40
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Brewton, AL
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green

Re: Oil Leak

Post by bellboy40 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:57 pm

Here is a link to a how-to article on this website for replacing the shifter shaft seal. It is a pretty common item to cause an oil leak on the Goldwings. Your local Honda dealer should have them in stock or there are multiple places on the internet to get them. Cyclemax is one of my favorite places to get things for a Goldwing. They are some good folks to work with also.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19833

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... eal/201330

User avatar
Charlie1Horse
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:35 pm
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: Oil Leak

Post by Charlie1Horse » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:42 pm

Install a shifter brace and seal to stop the leak and keep it from happening again.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

User avatar
RockportDave
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:39 pm
Location: Rockport Texas
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Re: Oil Leak

Post by RockportDave » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:32 pm

As others stated, probably the shifter seal and need the shifter pivot brace.
The shifter arm can be tough to get off because of clearance issues, but has to be removed to replace the seal. I got mine past the splines and rotated just right and forced it off with a long screwdriver. When re-installing I forced it back on with the screwdriver. No damage was done to the parts or splines. Some have the clearance and some don’t from what I have read on the forum.
Below is how I did mine.
Dave
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44653&p=271068&hili ... er#p271068
1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years

User avatar
DougEFresh1123
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:22 am
Location: Villa Park, IL
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 Honda Goldwing 1500SE

Re: Oil Leak

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:19 am

bellboy40 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:57 pm
Here is a link to a how-to article on this website for replacing the shifter shaft seal. It is a pretty common item to cause an oil leak on the Goldwings. Your local Honda dealer should have them in stock or there are multiple places on the internet to get them. Cyclemax is one of my favorite places to get things for a Goldwing. They are some good folks to work with also.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19833

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... eal/201330
Thank you!
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

User avatar
DougEFresh1123
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:22 am
Location: Villa Park, IL
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 Honda Goldwing 1500SE

Re: Oil Leak

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 am

Charlie1Horse wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:42 pm
Install a shifter brace and seal to stop the leak and keep it from happening again.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Thank you! I will track down a brace and install it.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

User avatar
DougEFresh1123
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:22 am
Location: Villa Park, IL
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 Honda Goldwing 1500SE

Re: Oil Leak

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:23 am

RockportDave wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:32 pm
As others stated, probably the shifter seal and need the shifter pivot brace.
The shifter arm can be tough to get off because of clearance issues, but has to be removed to replace the seal. I got mine past the splines and rotated just right and forced it off with a long screwdriver. When re-installing I forced it back on with the screwdriver. No damage was done to the parts or splines. Some have the clearance and some don’t from what I have read on the forum.
Below is how I did mine.
Dave
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44653&p=271068&hili ... er#p271068
Thank you!
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

User avatar
bellboy40
Posts: 439
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Brewton, AL
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green

Re: Oil Leak

Post by bellboy40 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:39 am

DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 am
Charlie1Horse wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:42 pm
Install a shifter brace and seal to stop the leak and keep it from happening again.
Russell
Thank you! I will track down a brace and install it.
Again, I refer you to https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... 037/200181 to get the shifter brace. It can be ordered with or without the shaft seal as well.



Post Reply