Oil Leak

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
DougEFresh1123
Motorcycle: 2002 Honda Magna VF750
1994 Honda Goldwing 1500SE

Oil Leak

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:06 am

Just venting folks.

Well the ride home from work last night started and ended on a frustrating note. :x

I started the bike up and as she was warming up I caught a whiff of the distinct smell of oil burning. :o Rode the bike home and after pulling into the driveway I asked my 23 year old son if he smelled burning oil, just wanted to confirm, plus my wife says my sniffer doesn't work right :roll: . He said yep that's how I knew you were home, he was working in the garage cleaning out his toolboxes and had the music cranked up.

Pop the bike up onto the center stand and look underneath and sure enough the bottom of the left side of the engine was covered with oil, looked like it was covered from front to back and left to right, we didn't see anything on the right side.

One more thing :o , as he is looking under the bike he was also able to see the front left caliper and he asks if my front brakes are hydraulic. I said yes front and the back brakes too, why? He says looks like the front caliber is leaking, may need to be replaced or possibly re-built. :x

Looks like my "winter" maintenance list of changing timing belts, spark plugs, the various oil, fuel, air and sub filters, oil change, final drive oil change, brake and clutch fluid flush is growing. Based on one of my previous post of what I have deemed as low fuel mileage I added checking out the choke cable operation, and possibly a carb cleaning to the list. Well now I also get to add find oil leak. :(

Looks like I will be spending the next "x" number of days pulling off most of the plastic off the bike and draining/pulling the gas tank. On the plus side since I'm going to have just about everything pulled off I might be able to find the pesky radiator fluid leak that evaded the previous owner. The PO is a good friend of ours and he could never find the source, never had to add fluid and the radiator was always full and the overflow was always at an acceptable level.

Thanks folks, I feel better. No not really but isn't that what you are supposed to say after venting?

Any ways have a great weekend and safe riding.

Doug

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

MarkZ28
Motorcycle: GL1500

Re: Oil Leak

Post by MarkZ28 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:50 am

Check the shifter rod seal, if its flopping around it wil wreck the seal.

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:00 am

MarkZ28 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:50 am
Check the shifter rod seal, if its flopping around it wil wreck the seal.
Thanks Mark!
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

“We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”
― Ronald Reagan

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:27 pm

That oil leak is likely the shifter shaft seal as was mentioned. I would clean off the caliper good and spray it with some brake cleaner to get all the brake fluid off. Then press on the rear brake pedal and see if any new fluid appears. That left front caliper is operated by the rear brake pedal. It sounds like a caliper rebuild is in your future.

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:56 pm

bellboy40 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:27 pm
That oil leak is likely the shifter shaft seal as was mentioned. I would clean off the caliper good and spray it with some brake cleaner to get all the brake fluid off. Then press on the rear brake pedal and see if any new fluid appears. That left front caliper is operated by the rear brake pedal. It sounds like a caliper rebuild is in your future.
Thank you! Since i'm not mechanical where exactly should I be looking for the shifter shaft seal? I hope not, but better to plan for the worst and be pleasantly surprised when things go your way. "If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck" - Rodney Dangerfield.

Doug
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:57 pm

Here is a link to a how-to article on this website for replacing the shifter shaft seal. It is a pretty common item to cause an oil leak on the Goldwings. Your local Honda dealer should have them in stock or there are multiple places on the internet to get them. Cyclemax is one of my favorite places to get things for a Goldwing. They are some good folks to work with also.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19833

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... eal/201330

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:42 pm

Install a shifter brace and seal to stop the leak and keep it from happening again.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by RockportDave » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:32 pm

As others stated, probably the shifter seal and need the shifter pivot brace.
The shifter arm can be tough to get off because of clearance issues, but has to be removed to replace the seal. I got mine past the splines and rotated just right and forced it off with a long screwdriver. When re-installing I forced it back on with the screwdriver. No damage was done to the parts or splines. Some have the clearance and some don’t from what I have read on the forum.
Below is how I did mine.
Dave
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44653&p=271068&hili ... er#p271068
1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:19 am

bellboy40 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:57 pm
Here is a link to a how-to article on this website for replacing the shifter shaft seal. It is a pretty common item to cause an oil leak on the Goldwings. Your local Honda dealer should have them in stock or there are multiple places on the internet to get them. Cyclemax is one of my favorite places to get things for a Goldwing. They are some good folks to work with also.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19833

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... eal/201330
Thank you!
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 am

Charlie1Horse wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:42 pm
Install a shifter brace and seal to stop the leak and keep it from happening again.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Thank you! I will track down a brace and install it.
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:23 am

RockportDave wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:32 pm
As others stated, probably the shifter seal and need the shifter pivot brace.
The shifter arm can be tough to get off because of clearance issues, but has to be removed to replace the seal. I got mine past the splines and rotated just right and forced it off with a long screwdriver. When re-installing I forced it back on with the screwdriver. No damage was done to the parts or splines. Some have the clearance and some don’t from what I have read on the forum.
Below is how I did mine.
Dave
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44653&p=271068&hili ... er#p271068
Thank you!
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:39 am

DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:20 am
Charlie1Horse wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:42 pm
Russell
Thank you! I will track down a brace and install it.
Again, I refer you to https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... 037/200181 to get the shifter brace. It can be ordered with or without the shaft seal as well.

JohnUSA
Motorcycle: 1993 Goldwing Aspencade
2003 HD V-Rod

Post by JohnUSA » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:02 am

So, Doug, did you get a seal? Did you do this job yet?

1anderlikj
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by 1anderlikj » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:24 am

Mine fell out, and after I got it cleaned up, it appeared brand new. So I simply assumed it was never installed properly, re-seated it securely, and it's been fine ever since.

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:53 pm

JohnUSA wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:02 am
So, Doug, did you get a seal? Did you do this job yet?
John, I haven't had an opportunity to look at the bike yet. I have been pressed for time and money since we were getting ready for a two week trip to Kenya Africa. We just got back yesterday, so now it's time to get things back in order and catch up on all of the house and yard work. Based on my lack of mechanical abilities all jobs take forever. I work slowly and need to constantly look at the directions in order to make sure everything is done correctly. Hoping to start pulling of the plastic this weekend and then ordering the parts. I'm taking this opportunity to do some other maintenance such as timing belts, the various filters, oil change, spark plugs and hopefully the source of a very small coolant leak. I'll also be looking at changing the drive shaft oil, and I guess there are other parts that need periodic lubing/greasing.

Doug
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Burgman Executive
2007 Yamaha Majesty
2006 Yamaha Morphous

Post by minimac » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:56 am

Do a search on the site. You'll find there are a number of different ways to brace the shifter rod, even for the non machinists. Most are extremely low cost alternatives to buying one. Before tackling any of your "winter projects", read through the "how to" section on this site. They are the best on the web, and you'll get a great idea of what you're in for. Follow the directions, and you'll be able to do what appears to be the most complicated tasks, easily. If, by chance, you find yourself over your head, the help here is the best one can get!

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:00 am

minimac wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:56 am
Do a search on the site. You'll find there are a number of different ways to brace the shifter rod, even for the non machinists. Most are extremely low cost alternatives to buying one. Before tackling any of your "winter projects", read through the "how to" section on this site. They are the best on the web, and you'll get a great idea of what you're in for. Follow the directions, and you'll be able to do what appears to be the most complicated tasks, easily. If, by chance, you find yourself over your head, the help here is the best one can get!
Thank you!

I have been reading through the "how to" section and feel confident in being able to tackle my winter list.

Doug
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

89 1500
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500

Post by 89 1500 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:59 pm

If your going as far as installing the shift shaft brace might as well install a new seal your that far and it only takes 5 extra minutes. I noticed you have a water issue that hasn't been located. I did too a few years back. My search led me to pull the radiators and clean the clear tape off of the in and out pipes. New hoses and clamps being that far in and no love for the problem. Rode to work that Monday and smelled coolant bad part there was never any evidence of a leak no coolant on the floor nothing. Next round in the journey was radiator cap. It looked great so I cleaned it up payed a lot of attention to the seal. Never a tell around the filler neck perfectly clean. Another Monday ride to work with the coolant smell but this time a small puff of steam just once but I did see it, I decided to replace the overflow hose to the tank. I pulled on the cap on the overflow and found the issue. There were fractures where the hose attached to the top. Couldn't see it just looking down at it. Wouldn't lose water because it was on the overflow tank. Trip to the stealership and $13.75 later problem solved. A thought anyway. When I did my belts and tensioners I added a 4 degree timing wheel to my 89. I think the 4 degrees benefitted the 88 and 89 years only. Some said it did nothing to their later model 15's.

Rodzim
Motorcycle: 1994 gl1500 se

Post by Rodzim » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:52 pm

I would think twice before trying to oull the fuel tank.

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:49 am

89 1500 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:59 pm
If your going as far as installing the shift shaft brace might as well install a new seal your that far and it only takes 5 extra minutes. I noticed you have a water issue that hasn't been located. I did too a few years back. My search led me to pull the radiators and clean the clear tape off of the in and out pipes. New hoses and clamps being that far in and no love for the problem. Rode to work that Monday and smelled coolant bad part there was never any evidence of a leak no coolant on the floor nothing. Next round in the journey was radiator cap. It looked great so I cleaned it up payed a lot of attention to the seal. Never a tell around the filler neck perfectly clean. Another Monday ride to work with the coolant smell but this time a small puff of steam just once but I did see it, I decided to replace the overflow hose to the tank. I pulled on the cap on the overflow and found the issue. There were fractures where the hose attached to the top. Couldn't see it just looking down at it. Wouldn't lose water because it was on the overflow tank. Trip to the stealership and $13.75 later problem solved. A thought anyway. When I did my belts and tensioners I added a 4 degree timing wheel to my 89. I think the 4 degrees benefitted the 88 and 89 years only. Some said it did nothing to their later model 15's.
I will be replacing the seal, although for me it will probably be an extra hour :lol: . I actually started another post chronicling my adventures through out these repairs. I'm not mechanical, but willing to learn and the "how-to" section has been very helpful. The step by step pictures and directions are great, but the part I find most useful is when they tell me what size wrench, socket, or allen wrench to use, I usually waste so much time trying to figure out what size tool I need.

This drip is so sporadic, I can ride to work park the bike and have a few drops on the ground by the time I dismount and put the bike up on the center stand. Ride home that evening under hotter temperatures and no drips when I get home. I haven't had a chance to really look into the coolant leak but I did look at the top of the overflow and I can see what appears to be a residual moisture streaks on top of the overflow container. Haven't really looked at them to see if I can see any color traces, but it could also be from pouring fluid into the overflow container. Since the dripping is on the left side of the bike I don't think it is the radiator cap. I do plan on checking out the overflow cap and the overflow hose thoroughly as I work my way through my maintenance items (see other post, I think it's called Doug's winter maintenance begins).

All of the Honda vehicles I have ever owned have always produced a coolant smell even with no signs of leakage, my son says its a Honda thing.

Doug
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:55 am

Rodzim wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:52 pm
I would think twice before trying to oull the fuel tank.
That statement was based on a misinterpretation of one of the "how-to" articles :? , after re-reading the "how-to" I now know I don't need to pull the fuel tank. :D
Still have no idea how I even thought pulling the fuel tank would help me solve any of the issues I have.

Doug
'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan

89 1500
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500

Post by 89 1500 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:30 pm

DougEFresh1123 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:49 am
89 1500 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:59 pm
I will be replacing the seal, although for me it will probably be an extra hour :lol: . I actually started another post chronicling my adventures through out these repairs. I'm not mechanical, but willing to learn and the "how-to" section has been very helpful. The step by step pictures and directions are great, but the part I find most useful is when they tell me what size wrench, socket, or allen wrench to use, I usually waste so much time trying to figure out what size tool I need.

This drip is so sporadic, I can ride to work park the bike and have a few drops on the ground by the time I dismount and put the bike up on the center stand. Ride home that evening under hotter temperatures and no drips when I get home. I haven't had a chance to really look into the coolant leak but I did look at the top of the overflow and I can see what appears to be a residual moisture streaks on top of the overflow container. Haven't really looked at them to see if I can see any color traces, but it could also be from pouring fluid into the overflow container. Since the dripping is on the left side of the bike I don't think it is the radiator cap. I do plan on checking out the overflow cap and the overflow hose thoroughly as I work my way through my maintenance items (see other post, I think it's called Doug's winter maintenance begins).

All of the Honda vehicles I have ever owned have always produced a coolant smell even with no signs of leakage, my son says its a Honda thing.

Doug

:lol: I'm always chasing tools but do get a lot of exercise walking between the bike and tool box. I'd pretty much bet the overflow cap will fix your coolant issue. I was glad it wasn't the tank on mine. Almost have to disassemble the bike to get it out. I'll be installing the shaft brace on the 93 I'm trading my 89 for sometime this weekend. It makes a big difference. Shifts are positive and smooth.

DougEFresh1123

Post by DougEFresh1123 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:49 am

:lol: I'm always chasing tools but do get a lot of exercise walking between the bike and tool box. I'd pretty much bet the overflow cap will fix your coolant issue. I was glad it wasn't the tank on mine. Almost have to disassemble the bike to get it out. I'll be installing the shaft brace on the 93 I'm trading my 89 for sometime this weekend. It makes a big difference. Shifts are positive and smooth.
It's amazing how easy it is to rack up a mile of walking in a single car garage while working on the car/bike. :lol:

'02 Magna VF750
'96 GL1500SE
- Doug

― Ronald Reagan