Randomly dies

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Goldwingriderswife
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade 1500

Randomly dies

Post by Goldwingriderswife » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:16 am

We have a 95 GL1500a, that can run like a dream until it just dies while riding. It acts like the battery has died. Originally, when she died we could jump her and she'd run fine. Now when she dies, we have to keep her connected to the jumper until we get home. We've rebuilt the carbs, double checked all wires, replaced the battery-twice and this issue still happens. Next is testing and replacing relays. Any other suggestions for what is causing this?

Edit to add: have had alternator tested, using handheld tester and seems good.

It's always too something, so just ride

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black
2000 Valkyrie Interstate

Re: Randomly dies

Post by Andy Cote » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:29 am

Is the alternator charging the battery? Leave the charger on all night. Connect a volt meter across the battery terminals the next morning and let us know. Then take a reading while starting and see if it starts on its own. Jump it if need be and record the voltage while running.

One other thing. When it has suddenly died, did you turn the key off or just try to restart? If this happens again and you turn the key off and then back on and try to start. If it starts right up it could be the bank angle sensor. Key off will reset it but just trying the starter will not.
DARKSIDE #1500
2018 Goldwing, basic black
2000 Valkyrie Interstate, blue/silver

Previously: GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class, AC1R

shootist40
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500I Interstate

Post by shootist40 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:57 am

You didn't say if the battery was dead or not, so don't know if it is something electrical. I had a problem similar to your explanation and found it was the auto fuel valve. On the 1500, the valve is located just forward of the gasoline filler cap. It is easily seen by opening the gas filler hatch. This item has a diaphram in it that can develop a hole and shut the gas off especially when accellerating. The bike will just stop running. The first time I had just accellerated onto a freeway and it just died. I thought I was low on gas so found someone that hauled us to a gas station and filled up. Ran perfectly. Happened again out of the blue. Took it in to Goldwing mechanic and he said it was the auto fuel valve diaphram. Replaced the part and has never happened again.

Andy Cote
2000 Valkyrie Interstate

Post by Andy Cote » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:03 am

shootist40 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:57 am
You didn't say if the battery was dead or not, so don't know if it is something electrical. I had a problem similar to your explanation and found it was the auto fuel valve. On the 1500, the valve is located just forward of the gasoline filler cap. It is easily seen by opening the gas filler hatch. This item has a diaphram in it that can develop a hole and shut the gas off especially when accellerating. The bike will just stop running. The first time I had just accellerated onto a freeway and it just died. I thought I was low on gas so found someone that hauled us to a gas station and filled up. Ran perfectly. Happened again out of the blue. Took it in to Goldwing mechanic and he said it was the auto fuel valve diaphram. Replaced the part and has never happened again.
Good idea. Another possibility is vacuum leak on the hose to the shut off. You can search for info here but an easy check is to bypass the valve altogether.

Also the vents in the gas cap can get plugged up. Loosen the cap when it happens again and listen for an influx of air.
DARKSIDE #1500

Previously: GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class, AC1R

Goldwingriderswife

Post by Goldwingriderswife » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:11 am

Andy Cote wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:29 am
Is the alternator charging the battery? Leave the charger on all night. Connect a volt meter across the battery terminals the next morning and let us know. Then take a reading while starting and see if it starts on its own. Jump it if need be and record the voltage while running.

One other thing. When it has suddenly died, did you turn the key off or just try to restart? If this happens again and you turn the key off and then back on and try to start. If it starts right up it could be the bank angle sensor. Key off will reset it but just trying the starter will not.
Starting the bike is normal. She fires right up with no issues whatsoever. She'll even run perfectly for awhile, then she'll sputter a bit, and quit. We have not figured out the rhyme or reason for this. Sometimes we can ride 15 miles and then she'll crap out. Other times we can ride for 2 miles and she'll crap out.

When the bike dies, we've done both, tried just restarting and turned off the key, then tried restarted. The digital display will flicker right before she dies, then go out and only flicker a bit while attempting the restart.

Goldwingriderswife

Post by Goldwingriderswife » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:12 am

We just connected the battery that's been charging over night. As we used the throttle, the battery slowly started draining but is not coming back up. Battery started at 11.66, once throttle was engaged, it dropped to 11.65 and as soon as throttle was disengaged, battery went back up to 11.66. Then a few minutes later, throttle was engaged, battery dropped to 11.64, when throttle was disengaged, battery only went to 11.65. After another throttle engage/disengage, battery is down to 11.63.

Andy Cote
2000 Valkyrie Interstate

Post by Andy Cote » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:22 am

So it should read 14.4 +/- volts when running. Alternator is most likely culprit but all connections should be checked just in case. While I wouldn't rely too much on the one hundredth voltage number, the fact that its slowly loosing voltage is a good indication that it's not charging. IMHO you are going to have to pull that alternator and rebuild or replace.

Here's some info including a video: viewtopic.php?t=10564
DARKSIDE #1500

Ham Extra Class, AC1R

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:48 pm

I would also check main fuse A and B. If either has developed a crack, it can interrupt power intermittently and cause the symptoms you're seeing. Actually remove them from their holders and inspect them.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Sense your handy with the volt meter,locate the above mentioned fuses..start the bike and measure the volts on each fuse wire bolt.Especially concerned with the fuse with the large white wire.It comes from the alternator.
If there's a large different between them eg.11.6volts on one side and 13.5 volts on the other,the fuse link is bad.
If there is the same voltage on all the alternator/wiring to it is suspect.
This method tests the fuse under load conditions.They can measure ok with no load and fail with a load.