Double dark siding what size front tire will fit

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
William Hopgood
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500/6

Double dark siding what size front tire will fit

Post by William Hopgood » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:46 am

I have an e4 on front 130/70/18 could I put a 140/70/18 rear tire ? And what's the use of going in reverse with front tire? Anyone know if Metzler is s good tire

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black
2000 Valkyrie Interstate

Re: Double dark siding what size front tire will fit

Post by Andy Cote » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:11 pm

I have seen positive and negative reviews of every brand tire. I suppose we are all watching for that magic beanstalk.

I never tried the bigger tire up front so I can't help with that question.

The reason expounded for the reverse rotation when using a rear tire on the front is that the tire was engineered and designed to withstand the substantial torque of acceleration with a much lesser torque in deceleration. But when installed on a front wheel it will be exposed to a high torque deceleration and no acceleration. The belts and construction will not hold up otherwise.

The other camp is that the tread sipes are designed to push water out from the center and if you reverse it may actually trap water and cause hydroplaning.

After reading many posts from many different riders it seems mileage and wear is generally not affected by whuch way you mount the tire. So you can decide which way makes the most sense to you. As a darksider, we are all making choices outside the norm.
DARKSIDE #1500
2018 Goldwing, basic black
2000 Valkyrie Interstate, blue/silver

Previously: GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class, AC1R

William Hopgood
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500/6

Post by William Hopgood » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:39 pm

Andy Cote wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:11 pm
I have seen positive and negative reviews of every brand tire. I suppose we are all watching for that magic beanstalk.

I never tried the bigger tire up front so I can't help with that question.

The reason expounded for the reverse rotation when using a rear tire on the front is that the tire was engineered and designed to withstand the substantial torque of acceleration with a much lesser torque in deceleration. But when installed on a front wheel it will be exposed to a high torque deceleration and no acceleration. The belts and construction will not hold up otherwise.

The other camp is that the tread sipes are designed to push water out from the center and if you reverse it may actually trap water and cause hydroplaning.

After reading many posts from many different riders it seems mileage and wear is generally not affected by whuch way you mount the tire. So you can decide which way makes the most sense to you. As a darksider, we are all making choices outside the norm.
Agreed and that makes sense

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Post by hugger-4641 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:03 pm

I am using an Avon 130/70/18 rear tire on my front. I did reverse it, and I can see no difference in wet performance on the front. In hard acceleration on wet pavement, traction is definitely better with the Austone. I have not experienced any hydroplaning, and I am not your typical rain rider. Most people with any sense slow down in the rain, and I do as well if riding two up. However, if riding by myself in the rain, I find I can see better if I can keep up my speed up keep the windshield clear since we don't have those wiper things. So, unless it is a hail storm or traffic is too heavy, when everyone else is slowing down, I'm not.

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Post by DaveO430 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:52 pm

I doubt a 140 would fit, at least not without some rubbing and would probably have some bad effects on handling.