Decorative plugs/washers for holes in plastic

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
89 1500
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500

Decorative plugs/washers for holes in plastic

Post by 89 1500 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:51 am

I'm getting my newer GL 15 next weekend finally, logistical nightmare to this point. Anyway I was looking at the bike last night seeing what parts I need to swap over from my 89. Who ever owned the bike before my friend got it bought every chrome bolt on to be had and screwed it to her. First to go is the luggage rack it has the trunk spoiler I don't want or need the rack which will leave holes that I need to fill with some kind of plug or rubber backed washer. The bike has more chrome rails and handles stuck all over it that I really don't need or like for that matter crap has to go and holes weather proofed. Anything that has to stay is getting rhino lined or powder coated to match. I've looked around and found some things that will work just wondering if anyone else has dechromed one that a chrome **** went off the deep end on too. I'll have plenty of time to find a solution to the holes. I'll have my 89 side by side with the 93 swapping parts and tweaking gotta install the shift shaft seal and kit too. My bud stripped all of the add on lower lights in chrome housings I've got the upper and electrical clean up. I honestly didn't know there was that much add on rails and half ass lights to bolt on to a wing I think I have a great example all the way down to those bear claw exhaust tips, second on the to trash list. Sorry for the ramble too much running through my head this morning thanks for any ideas.....

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Decorative plugs/washers for holes in plastic

Post by MikeB » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:28 am

A picture is worth a thousand words. Why not post a few pictures so we get a good idea what you are talking about.

By the way, the luggage rack on the trunk lid is quite useful. You might consider keeping that on the bike.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

89 1500

Post by 89 1500 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:53 pm

I'll get pics in this thread when I get the scoot in and start removing all of that chromed round bar. The big thing at first is going to plug the 4 holes where the rack mounts. My 89 has one and in the 10 years that I owned it I never used it. I hate to see a trunk spoiler buried below a rack. Now if it were a 2018 I'd need an extra large rack so I could haul more than my sandwich in the trunk.

MarkZ28
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by MarkZ28 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:16 pm

What style rack is it? Interested in selling it?

fibersport
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500
2002 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe

Post by fibersport » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:11 pm

I have exactly the same situation with all the chrome plastic crap. I had chrome bars type things on the saddle bags, sides of the trunk, and the side covers. My bike is a 90 and is light blue, it was a one year color so parts are tough to find. I did luck out and got two used saddle bags in the factory color, the paint isn't perfect but it looks better than the holes. I tried using ABS glue to fill them. I taped a thin piece of hard plastic that is used as a paint shield when you paint your walls - it worked OK and gave me a smooth outer surface. I bought some touch up from ColorRite, it matched very well but being a metallic it's impossible to blend. I also tried using plastic plugs that I painted the bike color. They stood out too much which is when I tried the ABS glue. I also picked up some pinstripe tape that was a close match to the bike and used that to go over my ABS painted holes. From 10 feet it looks OK but any closer and it shows too much.

I think the only solution will be to paint the bike. A local CarQuest store says they can mix up the paint using the Honda code, when I called and told her the number, she told me the name of the paint "Carmel Blue Metallic" so at least the computer has the right name and code. Their price was a little cheaper than ColorRite. it will be a big job, one that I need to work on over the winter but this winter is going to be booked with another project. In the meantime I ride with holes in my trunk, scratched saddlebags and pinstriped side covers - it's not a show queen, but it is fun!

fibersport
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500
2002 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe

Post by fibersport » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:14 pm

Not to highjack but MarkZ28 - if 89 1500 doesn't want to sell his luggage rack, PM me.

89 1500

Post by 89 1500 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:49 am

fibersport wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:11 pm
I have exactly the same situation with all the chrome plastic crap. I had chrome bars type things on the saddle bags, sides of the trunk, and the side covers. My bike is a 90 and is light blue, it was a one year color so parts are tough to find. I did luck out and got two used saddle bags in the factory color, the paint isn't perfect but it looks better than the holes. I tried using ABS glue to fill them. I taped a thin piece of hard plastic that is used as a paint shield when you paint your walls - it worked OK and gave me a smooth outer surface. I bought some touch up from ColorRite, it matched very well but being a metallic it's impossible to blend. I also tried using plastic plugs that I painted the bike color. They stood out too much which is when I tried the ABS glue. I also picked up some pinstripe tape that was a close match to the bike and used that to go over my ABS painted holes. From 10 feet it looks OK but any closer and it shows too much.

I think the only solution will be to paint the bike. A local CarQuest store says they can mix up the paint using the Honda code, when I called and told her the number, she told me the name of the paint "Carmel Blue Metallic" so at least the computer has the right name and code. Their price was a little cheaper than ColorRite. it will be a big job, one that I need to work on over the winter but this winter is going to be booked with another project. In the meantime I ride with holes in my trunk, scratched saddlebags and pinstriped side covers - it's not a show queen, but it is fun!
There's a company that can match factory Honda paint https://www.colorrite.com/ I was going to paint my 89 and found the site. Wasn't cheap for the three part process. I'll post any parts I pull off for sale the rack is the common chromed round bar you see everywhere. I guess I'll take all of the saddle bag rails and trunk lift handle and powder coat. I was given four star stamped washers with all the hardware to cover the rack holes. I can live with that for now. The 93 lived in a garage most of it's life so almost everything is in great shape unlike my 89 which was a barn find. Anyway I thought I was picking the bike up today but my buddy is still out at the SXS track with his sun setting up the new racer so I guess the start day is next Saturday. I'll post updates on sale parts as I pull them. Thanks y'all....