Clutch Fluid Leak

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
BigJim2000SE
Motorcycle: 2000. GL-1500 SE

Clutch Fluid Leak

Post by BigJim2000SE » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:06 pm

I got on my 2000 1500 SE for the first time in about a yr.... always indoor, covered and babied. As soon as I put it in gear, problem : died...clutch reservoir Empty !!! Filled, bled EXTENSIVELY, all good..... 10 miles down the road, slipping. Topped off Again.... Bled AGAIN.... off we go.. and yes, again slipping after a short distance. Fast forward to present status, replaced clutch hose with New from Honda, ( that Wasn't leaking as I Thought it
was ) there is SOME fluid on inside of belly pan, Definitely NOT 8 oz. Thats been lost or so.....no fluid leaking from slave cylinder at rear of Trans , and NONE showing on floor of garage where its parked. A BIG puff if smoke out exhaust when initial startup.....oil on inside of Alternator housing when removed ?? Engine Oil level at 1/2 mark on center stand.....???? Where the heck is my Dot 4 brake/ clutch Fluid going ???? Anybody got a Clue ??

Thx, Jim

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Clutch Fluid Leak

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:46 pm

BigJim2000SE wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:06 pm
I got on my 2000 1500 SE for the first time in about a yr.... always indoor, covered and babied. As soon as I put it in gear, problem : died...clutch reservoir Empty !!! Filled, bled EXTENSIVELY, all good..... 10 miles down the road, slipping. Topped off Again.... Bled AGAIN.... off we go.. and yes, again slipping after a short distance. Fast forward to present status, replaced clutch hose with New from Honda, ( that Wasn't leaking as I Thought it
was ) there is SOME fluid on inside of belly pan, Definitely NOT 8 oz. Thats been lost or so.....no fluid leaking from slave cylinder at rear of Trans , and NONE showing on floor of garage where its parked. A BIG puff if smoke out exhaust when initial startup.....oil on inside of Alternator housing when removed ?? Engine Oil level at 1/2 mark on center stand.....???? Where the heck is my Dot 4 brake/ clutch Fluid going ???? Anybody got a Clue ??

Thx, Jim
STOP!!!!

Do not start your engine again!!!

Your slave cylinder needs to be rebuilt. In many cases, when the slave cylinder fails, it drains the clutch fluid INTO THE CRANKCASE. If there is no other evidence of the clutch fluid leaking, then this is where it is going. Clutch (brake) fluid in the crankcase will cause a zero lubrication condition on your smooth main bearings, which causes massive wear and destruction of those main bearings. This costs so much in labor to repair that the engine is basically scrap.

So here's what to do:

- Rebuild the clutch slave cylinder
- Fill and bleed the clutch system
- Drain engine oil and fill with fresh (cheap) oil
- Run engine gently for a few minutes
- Drain engine oil, change oil filter and fill with fresh oil

BigJim2000SE
Motorcycle: 2000. GL-1500 SE

Post by BigJim2000SE » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:56 pm

OH Boy !!!!! I was afraid if that.....Geeez I Hope it's done damage. Thank you so much !!!! Will follow up.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:26 am

Your machine is twenty years old and the couple dollars price for a clutch master rebuild kit I always recommend doing both at the same time when down and opened for another twenty plus trouble free years with that system. :)

Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do