loses power cuts off like no gas while riding

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
thesprinklerguy1960
Motorcycle: 1995 1500 SE, I have the Clymer manual for 1988-1992 But was told 1995 was covered in this manual...

loses power cuts off like no gas while riding

Post by thesprinklerguy1960 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:36 pm

Hello everybody I have another mystery for me and I am in need of experienced information... a few weeks ago I had been riding for maybe 45 minutes and was going to gas up before going home but gas pumps were having a problem so I headed home where another gas station was on the way also... I got about 300 yards down the street and my bike just bogged out like it was getting no gas no matter what I did with the throttle... it cut off about 100 feet from my left turn towards home and after trying to restart it a few times inside of 3 minutes... I opened the gas cap for possible vapor lock or such but it still did not start then but after a few more minutes of trying it started back up and I kinda kept it throttled up a bit more than idle speed while i was stopped at lights and such for the rest of the way home (about 4 miles)... the next day it started right up but I did not ride it... about a week later I had ridden maybe 30 minutes or more and stopped at the same station and actually got gas this time and left the same direction as before and after I made that left turn that I didn't quite make it to the week prior and went about 50 yards it bogged out like the week before and cut off... I coasted to the next driveway and stopped... I tried off and on to start it for about 4 or 5 minutes waiting a minute or so between each burst of tries... I did remove gas cap and try before replacing it but no effect...after a few more minutes of trying It finally started again and I kept if throttled a little higher again at stop lights and made it home with no more problems... the next day it would not crank just like it was getting no gas again so I went online and found a fuel filter at a local auto parts store and replaced the old one... The bike started right up and throttled better than it had in the recent past so I figured that was the problem... rode around the local block maybe 5 miles a couple different days to make sure it was okay before going out any farther from home... A couple days later I rode maybe 15 miles to dinner with friends with no problems and when we left we took the 20 mile scenic country route home so not speeding or romping hard just cruising about 45 or so behind traffic and it bogs down and cuts off again... I did the same as before... try to start it a few times and then wait a minute or so before trying to crank it again and after about 5 or 6 minutes it started up and made it home with no more problems... today I went to auto parts store and got fuel treatment for ethanol buildup that I know these goldwings hate and put about a triple dose (3 oz) and cranked it up and let it run in place throttling up and down the rpms to simulate riding and mix cleaner in the gas and into the lines and such to see if that helps any at all... seems like I was told to do that last year for a warm engine starting problem I was having and it cleared that up in like one day so it can't hurt... This is where I am now and I might ride for a few laps around the block but not going too far till I end this problem... If anybody has any suggestions that I as a regular joe with no mechanical skills and even limited tools can do but am determined to do myself as I continue to learn this bike inside and out, I would appreciate any and all opinions or even guesses as we have no local Honda shop anymore... Thanks in advance for any and all responses... Chris

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Re: loses power cuts off like no gas while riding

Post by Mh434 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:10 pm

Personally, this sounds like a classic case of having got a bad tank of fuel. Exactly the same thing happened to me.

I ended up using SeaFoam (several cans, over several tanks of gas), which cured it completely. It does NOT happen right away, though - it took about 2 weeks of running SeaFoam-treated gas before it finally cleared up one day & ran like a new bike again (which, by the way, it has continued to do...).

The fuel treatments for ethanol do work, but not well enough, IMHO. I tried those first, with zero improvement. By the way - dosage-wise, with SeaFoam, I used an entire 1/2 can per tankful of gas...and some have used as much as a full can in a tank of gas.

I always like to try the cheaper, easier fixes first! In this case, it was the right way to do it.

thesprinklerguy1960
Motorcycle: 1995 1500 SE, I have the Clymer manual for 1988-1992 But was told 1995 was covered in this manual...

Post by thesprinklerguy1960 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:17 pm

Thank You for your response and yes I do use seafoam at least once or twice a year just to keep things running smooth but have not used it for a few months and after a tank with ethanol additive I will again try the seadfoam... thank you again... Chris

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:36 pm

Another possibility is the fuel petcock valve. It is located just in front of the fuel cap and it is vacuum operated to cut off the fuel when the engine is stopped. The diaphragm in it could be leaking and not holding a vacuum or the vacuum line going to it may be leaking. You can get a rebuild kit for those.
A fuel pump going bad would give you the same symptoms but check the other things first because those pumps are kind of expensive if you get the OEM ones.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:41 pm

+1 on the "bad gas" scenario.

Additionally, that 23 yr old gas cap is likely due for a good soaking in a vinegar/water solution (atleast 50/50) for a few hours. Lube it well afterward and forget about it for the next 20+ years.

thesprinklerguy1960

Post by thesprinklerguy1960 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:42 pm

Update... I rode around the block fine the first lap about 5 miles... so I decided to try another lap and stopped to fill up with fresh gas since I was getting below a half tank... after filling up it cranked right up... rode through shopping center to stoplight and out to the main road headed for the light about 500 yards and it bogs down and I coasted to the sidewalk just in time before it cut off... after about 3 or 4 minutes of trying to crank it... it fires up and I stop at 3 stoplights on the way home and it made it home fine... will see about that rebuild kit next... thanks for the info... Chris

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by RockportDave » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:58 pm

bellboy40 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:36 pm
Another possibility is the fuel petcock valve. It is located just in front of the fuel cap and it is vacuum operated to cut off the fuel when the engine is stopped. The diaphragm in it could be leaking and not holding a vacuum or the vacuum line going to it may be leaking. You can get a rebuild kit for those.
A fuel pump going bad would give you the same symptoms but check the other things first because those pumps are kind of expensive if you get the OEM ones.
Pull the vacuum line from the petcock valve and pull a vacuum on it to see if it will hold. If it bleeds down it’s leaking by.
I would also take a clear vinyl hose and carefully (try not to disturb the bottom) get a sample of fuel from the bottom of the tank to see if there is trash/water in it.
Dave
1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years

thesprinklerguy1960

Post by thesprinklerguy1960 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Okay everybody I have some new info that I think may be at least part of the problem as already stated by several of you experienced people... Each time that I have had this problem it has been after I removed and replaced the gas cap... the very first time this happened I did NOT even get gas because the gas pumps were messed up so I headed home and the first bog down cut off happened at the intersection I usually turn left at to continue home...which is about maybe 500 to 700 yards or so... after a few minutes and removing and replacing gas cap again it finally started and got home...the next time it happened I was at the same gas station with the same tank of gas but this time I DID fill up my tank and replaced gas cap and headed home... it cut off within 100 feet of same intersection... again it took a few minutes of cranking and removing gas cap and replacing and trying before it started and got me back home and at some time here between these cut offs I replaced the fuel filter and got better results at home...was fine the next day testing at home in the neighborhood... I rode around my hood and then around the country block (5 miles maybe) a couple of times and it did fine for the next couple days staying within a few minutes of home it seemed ok... So I was getting to about 1/4 tank of gas so I stopped to fill up (different gas station) and replace gas cap and leaving gas station I got a couple hundred yards before it sputtered and cut off again... after 5 or 6 minutes of trying it finally started and I made it home... next day I added ethanol fuel additive and 1/2 can of seafoam and it ran fine for a few days at home and just in the hood... I went out about 10 or 15 miles for dinner with friends and did fine on the way out (same gas) so we took scenic route home (20 miles) and it cut off about half way and it took another 5 minutes to crank and get me home... stayed close to home for a few days riding in the hood then around the country block to burn as much of that tank of gas as possible with additives and seafoam... I was down to less than 1/4 tank so I stopped and filled gas tank and replaced cap and got to the same left turn and it bogged out again and I coasted to church driveway and this time it took about 30 minutes before it started and get me home... I have cranked it and ran it in the driveway for 10 minutes or so at the time and doing ok... I am not sure about the gas cap each time but I want to say it seems like thinking back now it could have been when I tapped the gas cap on the top of the tank before replacing it and I think that could have possibly been happening each time before it actually started back... following commentors instructions I had taken gas cap and soaked it in vinegar and water for a few hours and sprayed WD 40 in all the spaces i could and sat it on a towel to drain before replacing and that may have helped but might not have completely cleaned it up or lubed it and I can not find a new one online anywhere so is there a secret and safe solution that I might try to clean up insides of gas cap that I can not get to with a brush to clean or a website that I can buy a new OEM gas cap for 1995 1500SE??? I did find the fuel valve rebuild kit and ordered it online but I kinda think the gas cap might be the culprit here now...Again I want to thank everybody for their suggestions and comments so please keep them coming and continuing my education... we have no local Honda shop so I have to figure it out with the hekp of all of you experienced riders and mechanics... This site has saved me on both my goldwings over the past few years with all the experience here you all are life savers!!! Thanks again for any and all comments and suggestions... Chris

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:38 pm

With regards to the gas cap it sounds like you're doing it right. Did you get a lot of rust/crud come out of the cap? If you're still concerned about more "crud" inside that you can't get to, , ,try less water and more vinegar. Something like a 75% vinegar with 25% water and let it sit for twice as long, , , shake the gas cap vigorously about every hour for a second or two, to flush out the crud. When you lube it, you should be able to move the "vent" tabs easily and smoothly.

CLR (Calcium, lime, rust) remover would work also but I haven't tried that.

Some folks have said that the gas cap has to be put on so that you can read the writing on the gas cap as you are sitting on the seat. I've thought of it as a "wives-tale" but my gas cap might be "ambidextrous", , ,works either way, , hahaha.

thesprinklerguy1960

Post by thesprinklerguy1960 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:22 am

When I soaked the gas cap in the vinegar and water I did not see any crud come out of the cap... it still appears to be fairly clean but that does not mean the insides are clean... the "tabs" on my cap line up with the slot on each side of the gas tank hole and they don't appear to move at all but I did not know they were supposed to... I thought they were just to line the gas cap with the hole and lock it closed... are they supposed to move? the only thing that I see moving is the little swivel nipple on top that attaches to the gas line overflow line or something... I was thinking if I filled the gas tank too much could gas be getting in the cap and blocking the vented airflow??? I will try the stronger vinegar mixture for a longer period and see if anything moves... Thanks again for all the information and opinions... Chris

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:05 am

You can bypass the auto shut off valve to see if that is part of your problem, I doubt if it is but it doesn't hurt to try. . Disconnect the hose that goes into it and connect it straight to the fuel filter. When the one on my 97 SE started to act up I did this and it ran fine so I could get the auto shut off valve replaced.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

thesprinklerguy1960

Post by thesprinklerguy1960 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:36 pm

I do not know what the auto shut off valve is or where it is... is that the valve in front of the gas cap? I ordered a kit to rebuild that but have not gotten it or done that yet... is that the valve to try to bypass??? also is there any way I could damage my gas cap if I use my air compressor to blow air through the cap from the top or bottom or the side??? After it finishes soaking in the vinegar maybe till tomorrow to be on the safe side and then I was gonna blow through it but want to make sure I will not damage the cap or anything inside the cap... also would it hurt to blow air through the line that goes from the gas cap to wherever it goes? I guess that is an overflow line for any excess gas or venting gas tank... thanks again for any and all responses... Chris

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:48 pm

I must've been having a "senior moment" when I said the tabs move, sorry. I checked my gas cap and YOU ARE CORRECT. The tabs don't move, , , and blowing air through the holes in the bottom of the cap shouldn't hurt any of the "guts". That "overflow" hose on the gas cap goes down the left side (near the shifter) and has a plastic "plug" at the end. Remove the plug and DRAIN that line. Its a good idea to check, and/or drain that line each time you remove the tupperware on that side.

thesprinklerguy1960

Post by thesprinklerguy1960 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:31 pm

I have another update... while I was waiting for the gas cap that is soaking in vinegar and water I cranked the bike and was just holding rpms up and down to about 3,000 or so and then idle then back up for a few minutes with NO gas cap at all and the bike sputtered out and cut off!!!! this was sitting in the carport going nowhere and no gas cap at all... is this the valve in front of the gas cap that I am waiting to rebuild with the kit from ebay??? open to all suggestions or even guesses... thanks again in advance.... Chris

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by RockportDave » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:52 pm

The petcock is in front of the gas cap.

Follow this link to wingdings tutorial on rebuilding when you get your kit.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36257
Dave
1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Well, clearly you’ve eliminated the gas cap as a problem!

That pretty much leaves the fuel filter, pump, and petcock as your list to look at. I’m assuming you have already changed the fuel filter (the cheapest & easiest fix), leaving the petcock and pump.

I’d do the petcock rebuild next, as I understand they’re prone to failure.

If that doesn’t fix it, there are test procedures here on the forum for testing the fuel pump, as well as aftermarket alternatives to the OEM pumps & how to install them.

One of those is BOUND to fix it!

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Yeppers, , ,I was hoping a gas cap cleaning would be a nice easy fix, , , but its time to move on to the petcock valve. That DIY on the petcock is a good one, , you should be fine afterward.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:41 am

while your waiting for the rebuild kit to arrive by pass the auto shut off valve and see if that helps, If it doesn't you don't need to rebuild it. It is that silver thing in front of the gas cap. Pull the hose off the back of it and hook it up directly to the fuel filter, if the ASV is the problem the bike will run, if not it just might be your fuel pump
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:06 pm

^^^^^^Is this forum great, or what?! There’s some great knowledge to be found here!

WvChamp
Motorcycle: 08 Honda XR650L
96 Honda GL1500SE

Post by WvChamp » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:07 pm

My money is on " draining the carbs n tank".......my bet is that you get water.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:29 pm

While you're waiting for the rebuild kit, you should probably try bypassing the petcock all together as has been suggested, and see if that fixes your problem. While you're this far into it, you might also test the fuel pump for capacity of output. Then you'll have all bases covered.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24533

winguyjo
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete.
1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection underway.

Post by winguyjo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:53 am

the next time it stalls and won't restart right away i would check for spark while cranking the engine.