FUEL PUMP

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
cruise22244
Motorcycle: 2003 gl1800 goldwing

FUEL PUMP

Post by cruise22244 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:46 pm

hello: I have a 2003 gl1800 goldwing, went to post office and shut off bike and came right out (2 minutes) the bike would not start. had it towed home and started looking at it. I couldn't hear the fuel pump come on, but did hear relays clicking on and off. Looked at dash and fi light was clicking right along with it. Pulled seat and the fuel pump relay was clicking on and off. I turned the handle bar switch off and the clicking stopped. back on and it started clicking again. with more investigation i also felt the cruise relay clicking. I change the relays with no help. pulled plug on fuel pump off and clicking stopped. measured voltage at the fuel pump and it was 8.75 vdc. checked battery, it was 12.5 vdc. put charger on it and got voltage to 13.5 vdc, still no change in relays. got the book out and measured the voltage at the fuel pump relay and found it to be 12 vdc on coil of relay and 8.5 vdc on output pin. pulled relay and measured voltage and it was 12.5 on both pins. Jumpered fuel pump and it ran with 55 psi test. but measured the resistance on the pump and it was 1.2 ohms. I then went thru the trouble shooting chart to the angle bank sensor. it work fine when I rotate it the clicking stopped. shut off switch worked fine also. I then took the shelter off and looked at voltage at ECM. bl/yel wire had 8.5 vdc but when I unplugged the black connector it was 12vdc. I then started chasing the ground and removed fuel tank and cleaned ground under tank. voltage didnt change but resistance did. before I had about 2000 ohms to ground now its 450 ohms. from fuel pump relay to ground. I went on thru the hot lead from fuel pump relay to injectors and coils all to find out it was 8.5 volts. The motorcycle is pretty well torn apart. I am chasing my tail. Can anyone give me a hint on what to do next.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: FUEL PUMP

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:02 pm

Question..when you measured 12 volts on the battery was that with the key on or the bike shut off.
The widespread 8 volts is your hint..why.
Locate the source of the voltage drop.
Eg..dead battery(no capacity but static volts ok)
Loose battery connections at the posts.
Always test for volts when the target is under load.Turn the key off and the static volts goes up..under load it drops..

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:24 pm

Without a visual on the MC to see what has been done/condition it is and not knowing the history of repairs or added devices. It sounds like you have something mis-wired or a low grade/intermittent short/path to ground or faulty supply/relay voltage. You need to identify the particular circuit involved and from a wiring diagram locate all devices on that circuit and start at end of circuit undoing connectors taking wire voltage/amp draw/continuity to ground readings along the way back to source of confirmed circuit power.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:48 pm

Not too sure about the GL1800 but it sounds like maybe a connector with some corrosion causing resistance which would give you a lower voltage under load. I would check all the wiring connectors from the ignition to the fuel pump. And every connector you unplug, add a little dielectric grease to inhibit any future corrosion. You may find more/better help in the GL1800 section.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.