2000-1500se Desiccant housing lid leaks air.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Stantheman55
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Gl 1500SE
1985 Yamaha FJ1100

2000-1500se Desiccant housing lid leaks air.

Post by Stantheman55 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:04 pm

Have not been on the site in many months due to health problems, and Yahoo. The C word raised its ugly head and I have been doing battle with that, at the moment its on the run.
Now that I am feeling better I decided to tackle the remainder of the rear end of the bike maintenance.

I decided to disassemble the air compressor as per the instructions found in the How to section, as well as add a pair of 416 progressive air shocks.
(note to Wing man) Links to pictures open with a notice that folders are empty, so I had few pics to work with.

My current problem is the desiccant chamber now leaks around the lid where the C-clip holds it in place. and the c clip is bent.
After assembling the chamber I cranked up the compressor I noticed the new shocks were not pumping up. A soapy water test of the desiccant lid provided an abundance of bubbles.

taking it apart my c ring pliers kept slipping out of the holes. I used two screw drivers and managed to bend the C retaining clip its still flat just bent in a little at one end. I remember how hard it was to take the lid out but it finally did. putting it back together I noticed how loose the lid was (It spins) after the clip was placed back in. I took it apart again I noticed a set of grooves at the top of the housing looks like one might contain an O-ring but there was none when I took it apart. How do I seal this thing back up and keep it from leaking.

Riding weather is here in Central Florida and the bike is in the barn.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: 2000-1500se Desiccant housing lid leaks air.

Post by Rambozo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:57 pm

There should be an O-ring.
Attachments

Stantheman55
1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Post by Stantheman55 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:38 pm

Rambozo
Thank you for your reply and the schismatic drawing. Yes there is an O-ring and I see another filter pad at the base of the motor cover that I am missing as well which I will order. This takes a lot off my mind, again thanks for your help.
Stan.

Stantheman55
1985 Yamaha FJ1100

Post by Stantheman55 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Was lucky to find an o-ring at a local shop however I did notice that there was a gap between the metal screen and the top casting, the one the air hoses come out of. It was dropping into the housing to far.

I solved the problem with felt from fabric/craft store. Cut three (in this case) to add to fill the gap, then put in the screen and added the top casting plus the "C" ring. it went in tight.
After assembly and testing I still had no pressure on the hoses. It then dawned on me what the little o-ring I found was for. It went over the nipple at the other end of the housing where it fits into the assembly base the one the pump/motor attaches to. Once it was in place and everything tightened back up my new shocks pumped right up.