So I learned the hard way....sometimes it pays to buy new original parts....

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

So I learned the hard way....sometimes it pays to buy new original parts....

Post by NOVAwing »

Hey everyone.

Hope we are all keeping the rubber side down!

On to todays rant and lesson.....

So my bike came with an aftermarket seat and passenger backrest....

Terrible pos. All smooth, no quilting or stitching, drivers seat seems to tilt forward when I'm riding, totally uncomfortable! Smooth surfaces don't allow for breathing, makes you sweat easily, no airflow. Leather in good shape, not dry or cracking anywhere.

You can find pics in my other thread on restoring this bike.

So I found a good condition stock seat off a 94 on Ebay for like $180. Only has a tiny hole at the tip of the front seat near the tab, and a slot already cut for the through seat driver backrest option. (I have a hand rail mounted backrest for now).

This seat seems good, cleaned up well. Have not gotten to ride it yet due to low temps lately. Sitting on it with my long hair sheepskin cover it feels good.

So far, mostly happy with this purchase.

Also ordered a stock 98 passenger backrest off ebay for $70. Looked perfect in pics....

Got it, looks great. Cleaned it, looks better, installed it.....BAD!
Top edge that sticks out above the trunk box instantly cracked in several places. Leather is shot, dried out, splitting open, also realized missing stitches along bottom row on same top edge of cushion.

What a WASTE of money!

This is an example of what the original 93 passenger back rest looks like:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Pass ... :rk:1:pf:0

This is an example of what I ordered on ebay, see the major differences?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GOLDWING ... :rk:7:pf:0

GUESS WHAT????????

Partzilla!

ALWAYS LOOK FOR NEW STOCK PARTS HERE FIRST!!!!!!!

New stock seat, cost is $250 roughly! and available!!!!!!!

Aftermarket seats are $700-1200!!!
Used stock seats are also between $50-500 depending on condition.
Wtf???

New stock passenger backrest, $58 !!!!!!!!!!

So I over paid for mine, and its worn out and damaged.

I also noticed different years of Wings have slightly different seats and backrests.
I choose the seat I got because I liked the style/shape. Still wish I had gotten a newer one......
I choose the passenger backrest because it has wide, flared side bolsters making it feel like a bucket seat that hugs you, wife prefers this.

Lesson today is, always check for new stock parts online, before buying used crap which you may, (like me) end up over paying for junk!

Now a question:

Can anyone confirm if the 98+ passenger backrest on partzilla is the kind I am looking for?

I looked at a few different years parts on there and their are different part numbers, but I don't want to make another bad purchase. I am going to get a new passenger backrest and re-sell this pos I bought by mistake.

Any thoughts, or places to get them cheaper them partzilla?

Thanks gang, stay safe and warm!

NOVAwing
1993 GL1500 Aspencade, restored from 4 years rotting outside.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: So I learned the hard way....sometimes it pays to buy new original parts....

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

According to the partzilla catalog they have different part numbers, shape and probably color.
98-2000 77500-MAM-A80ZC
88-97 77500-MT8-000ZA, ZB...
Attachments

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: So I learned the hard way....sometimes it pays to buy new original parts....

Post by bluthundr31 »

With the part numbers being different, I'd suggest sticking with the "correct" part number for your '93 to be safe. That top crown of the backrest is a VERY common area of failure on these beasts. Keeping it out of the sun when not in use, ,and continually wiping it down with a good supple conditioner will extend its life.

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing »

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:23 pm
According to the partzilla catalog they have different part numbers, shape and probably color.
98-2000 77500-MAM-A80ZC
88-97 77500-MT8-000ZA, ZB...
That is what I figured, thank you.

My bike is blue with dark/slate grey color cockpit plastic. Seat seams to be dark grey, not exactly black, but very close.

I am definitely going to order one of these and send the other one back, or re-sell it.

Thanks!
NOVAwing

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing »

bluthundr31 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:20 pm
With the part numbers being different, I'd suggest sticking with the "correct" part number for your '93 to be safe. That top crown of the backrest is a VERY common area of failure on these beasts. Keeping it out of the sun when not in use, ,and continually wiping it down with a good supple conditioner will extend its life.
Thanks for the recommendations blu.

The used one I got off ebay is from a 98 with the wide side bolsters and it fits perfectly, already installed it. The passenger backrests all fit every bike from 88-2000.

I will get rid of it and order the brand new one from partzilla.

Yes, keeping it outa sun, and well conditioned is key going forward!

Thanks much.
NOVAwing

minimac
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

Not to be a total jerk, but you really should do your research BEFORE buying stuff! :lol:

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing »

minimac wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:45 am
Not to be a total jerk, but you really should do your research BEFORE buying stuff! :lol:
Right you are sir!

I mistakenly assumed based on aftermarket, and used seats, that a new factory seat, if available, would be prohibitively expensive.

Because of that, I never even looked it up. When I found it the other day, I was looking at some other parts and saw the link and decided to look at the seat parts.

I was very surprised to say the least.

Like daddy always told me, "Their's a sucker born every day" Today that was me lol.

Its insane that there are many of these used parts for sale on ebay for more then the cost of a new factory one that is still available.

Won't happen again that's for sure!
NOVAwing

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE
2008 GL1800 with 2018 California Side Car Trike Conversion

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 »

I've had my '97 for 6 years now. I've bought a lot of parts and accessories. My experience is that the 2 Go-To places for both parts and accessories, is Partzilla and Cyclemax. Both have very good inventory, and pricing is as good as it gets on virtually every item I have needed. It saves a lot of wasted time chasing down parts. I hear the names of other parts suppliers mentioned on the forums, but have yet to experience better pricing, availability, or customer service from any but the 2 I mentioned. My 2 cents.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:07 pm
I've had my '97 for 6 years now. I've bought a lot of parts and accessories. My experience is that the 2 Go-To places for both parts and accessories, is Partzilla and Cyclemax. Both have very good inventory, and pricing is as good as it gets on virtually every item I have needed. It saves a lot of wasted time chasing down parts. I hear the names of other parts suppliers mentioned on the forums, but have yet to experience better pricing, availability, or customer service from any but the 2 I mentioned. My 2 cents.
Totally agree,
the only two suppliers that I use.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

JohnUSA
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing TriKing Trike

Post by JohnUSA »

Quick comment, and you would have to crunch the numbers to see how it works out for you.

I've seen a couple of sellers on ebay selling new seat covers...they might be worth checking out. Maybe even pick your color. I think one was from Canada, one from Montana...idk...it's been awhile since I've been looking at seats.

Good luck.

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing »

Thanks guys for your feedback.

Cyclemax and Partzilla for sure, about to order stuff from them both soon.

Far as seat covers go, no need, my new used seat is fine as is. I don't care for the sloppy, loose look of those aftermarket seat covers anyway.

New seats still available for $245 so its reasonable if I needed a new one.

Thanks
NOVAwing

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

NOVAwing wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:30 pm
Thanks guys for your feedback.

Cyclemax and Partzilla for sure, about to order stuff from them both soon.

Far as seat covers go, no need, my new used seat is fine as is. I don't care for the sloppy, loose look of those aftermarket seat covers anyway.

New seats still available for $245 so its reasonable if I needed a new one.

Thanks
after trying 3 different Aftermarket seats on my '94SE,

I found a '97-'00 OEM seat for ~$245 IIRC, and bought it....
ahhhh, that feels so good to my butt....

and was cheaper than what I had paid for the others that I got rid of.

~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc