This Doesn't Look Good

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

This Doesn't Look Good

Post by okie2ee »

Just getting ready for the inevitable job of replacing a relay............I've already purchased spares for the day when one of the many relays will fail.............and from all the posts, it seems like it's only a matter of time. My problem is with the trike, it appears that the relay box has been totally blocked by body work and I'm wondering how hard it's going to be to replace a relay.......anyone have a thought on how this is going to go? Can the fuse block and relay box assembly be removed as one assembly from the opening that I have?

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: This Doesn't Look Good

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

okie2ee wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:56 am
Just getting ready for the inevitable job of replacing a relay............I've already purchased spares for the day when one of the many relays will fail.............and from all the posts, it seems like it's only a matter of time. My problem is with the trike, it appears that the relay box has been totally blocked by body work and I'm wondering how hard it's going to be to replace a relay.......anyone have a thought on how this is going to go? Can the fuse block and relay box assembly be removed as one assembly from the opening that I have?

Fuse block and relay box.jpg
They are one unit.
There are two nuts holding the bracket of them. For the upper one you will need to remove the seat to access easily. Then you can pull them out through the gap. Removing their covers will help when pulling them out.

okie2ee
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee »

Thanks...........I wasn't sure if they were tied together and if there would be enough wiring slack to pull them out through the opening. I'll probably do a dry run just to see what I will be dealing with in trying to remove them...........a little more of a hassle as compared to a non-trike bike.

eastkytriker
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Post by eastkytriker »

I have the same problem so i have never bought any spare relays to carry for spares because i couldn't change them on the road anyway. I can't even get the cover off the relay box. I have looked at the possibility of taking a cutting wheel and cutting away some fiberglass. Just enough to get the cover off and then the side cover would cover the cut away. Let us know if you develop a plan.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

You might find this particular thread helpful.

tcryder wrote in with the same question and these are the replies he received what what he had in mind for a fix.

viewtopic.php?t=31547
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

okie2ee
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee »

Thanks again for the info..............I did send a request to MotorTrike for info on how to access the relays............they've been good about answering my replies.............I leaning toward a modification to allow easy access to the relay box...........will keep everyone posted on any modification that I make

eastkytriker
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Post by eastkytriker »

okie2ee wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:28 am
Thanks again for the info..............I did send a request to MotorTrike for info on how to access the relays............they've been good about answering my replies.............I leaning toward a modification to allow easy access to the relay box...........will keep everyone posted on any modification that I make
Can't wait to see how it works out for you.

okie2ee
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee »

I started a new post to cover how I gained access to my relay box: "How to Access Relay Box with a Motor Trike Kit"

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

My 98 wasn't a trike but I was able to get to the relay box with just removing the bolts that hold the assembly in place and wiggling it past the saddle bag\

IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE