Parts interchangeable ?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
AMGarcia
Motorcycle: 95 Goldwing GL 1500 Interstate

Parts interchangeable ?

Post by AMGarcia »

recently I purchased a 97 gl1500 SE for parts, is it interchangeable with a GL1500 interstate? could I remove the reverse mechanism on the 97 and install it on the 95 or could I remove the wire harnesses off the SE and install them on the Interstate ? The engine(97) has half as many miles as 95 engine so there would be another possibility. Any suggestions? would welcome any sugesstions. Art

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: Parts interchangeable ?

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

Reverse system is so complicated that involves many mechanical and electrical components, I can't imagine this conversion.

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Maybe you should consider using the Interstate for parts to fix the SE. You would probably have to change the complete engine to get the reverse and then you would have to change the wiring harness, instrument panel, radio and probably several other accessories to make everything operate correctly. I really don't think it would be feasible.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 »

Charlie1Horse wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:16 pm
Maybe you should consider using the Interstate for parts to fix the SE. You would probably have to change the complete engine to get the reverse and then you would have to change the wiring harness, instrument panel, radio and probably several other accessories to make everything operate correctly. I really don't think it would be feasible.
Russell

installing Reverse in a non-reverse engine is just about impossible.....

you will need to do an engine swap, and the above pretty much covers the things you might run into.

however, I have read that all of the bikes have the same wiring harness, and just don't use the extra connections on the Interstate models. ( you won't know that for sure, until you are committed to do the engine swap )

there are a few minor differences between the 95 and 97 models, most of which have to do with the stronger transmission in the 97, and a better drive line in the 97. Those two features must might be of interest to you. ?? does the 97 engine run now, do you have history of it running?

If the 97 will run, I would be more tempted to move the plastics from the 95 to the 97.
no wiring issues that way.
~John

'02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

AMGarcia
Motorcycle: 95 Goldwing GL 1500 Interstate

Parts interchangeable

Post by AMGarcia »

Thanks for the feedback on the conversion thoughts, I have thought on just getting the 97 running and having two bikes but I just wanted to see what some of the feedback would be like. Thanks.