What would you stick in here?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
baba67
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1997 GL1500 SE W/ Voyager trike kit

Re: What would you stick in here?

Post by baba67 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Here is what I chose to do....
Attachments

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:30 pm

My only regret with this "project" was that I didn't include a "visor" to cover the gauges from direct sunlight. (Hindsight is 20/20)

One of the members who purchased the Unobtainium 2.0 panel found the perfect solution!!! (Really nice "FIND" ecarmichael)

http://www.dashvisor.com/Gauge-Visor.html

Its a simple (single screw to attach to the Unobtainium 2,0 panel) attachment to solve any "glare" issue for about $15+ shipping.

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:57 pm

Last week I felt that I let you folks down by not being able to get this new panel to you by Christmas time, , it really bummed me out.

I received the panels on 12/22/18 about 1:00 pm. The folks who paid for the panels were told that the Post Office had them "on the way" by 5:00 Saturday 12/22/18. I gave them the tracking numbers, and the Post Office estimated delivery on 12/26/18 (Wednesday). SURPRISINGLY, everyone got their panel delivered to their front door on MONDAY 12/24/18 Christmas Eve!!! Destinations were all across the nation, not just next door. Mailing medium size boxes on Saturday at 5 pm and having them delivered by 5 pm on Monday is a helluva accomplishment, especially considering the busy holiday shipping season!!The USPS gets TWO-THUMBS UP from me for their quick delivery and fulfilling my "word" to have the panels in customers' hands by Christmas. I'm hoping to see a few pics of what those panels look like after gauges are installed, maybe day and night ones would be cool.

Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Post by Sadanorakman » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:53 am

Really impressed with the final results @bluthundr31.

Now you've managed to have these parts recreated, I don't need to consider preserving my uncut-pristine original Firecreek panel for either laser-scanning, or mold-making purposes.

Just out of interest, were they reproduced by creating resin molds from an original Firecreek panel, or was some other method used? I know you said that it wasn't laser-scanned, as that was I think at least a grand $.

I'm not prying here, just fascinated in how much demand there has been for the fruits of your labors...
  • How many members have taken you up on the offer of a new panel?
  • How many do you have left in stock?
  • Are you intending to have another production run made?
Kindest regards

Craig
Every day's a school day....What have you learned today?

ecarmichael
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by ecarmichael » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:25 pm

Okay, so I got the Unobtanium 2.0 from BluThunder31, now I'm curious how you folks cut holes in your Firecreek versions? I'm guessing a Dremel tool or maybe a hole saw of the correct diameter.

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:47 pm

Eddie (ecarmichael), I haven't done mine yet, but I plan on using a hole saw followed up with a Dremel to do the "finish" work. Using Vernier Calipers to measure the gauge "housing" will give you the hole size, measuring the "face" will give you the "fudge-factor". Leave room on the top of the "nodes" for the thickness of that "visor" you have. Using a 2"X2" square "Post-it" note draw diagonal lines from corner to corner to find the "CENTER". A drafting compass set to 1" with "point" on center mark will give a perfect 2" circle. Cut out the circle and position it where you want it. Scotch-tape the circle in place and use the hole-saw drill on the "X" (center of Post-It)

Craig (Sadanorakman), This niche is a very small one. The oldest bike that will use this panel is 30+ years old, and the newest bike is 18+ years old. Through mechanical problems, crash & burns, and abandoned junkers, I anticipate 50-100 riders will be interested. The resin mold (using Firecreek panel as original) cost ADDED to the "per panel cost" divided by the anticipated number of buyers is the price I've offered. If I don't sell 100 panels, I'll lose money. I didn't do this project to make $$$, it was intended to provide a nice accessory to fellow riders, , , ,But I sure as heck do not want to lose money over it. Time will tell

ecarmichael
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by ecarmichael » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:25 pm

Excellent description! Thanks again...

BigDanT
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Post by BigDanT » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:41 pm

I just ordered my Unobtainium 2.0 panel this morning, it's alreay on it's way.

For the gauges, I was thinking Voltage and Oil Pressure. I found these two guages and kind of like the way they look. I also like that they are both digital and analog.
https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/white-b ... olt-gauge/
https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/white-b ... ure-gauge/

Last month, I installed a K&P Engineering Oil filter and I'm anxiuos to see how well it is performing. The Oil pressure gauge should fit the bill.
Attachments

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:59 pm

Big DanT, Those gauges are awesome looking and should make that panel "POP"!! Nice job in finding them.

As a friendly suggestion though, you might consider looking into the "Gauge visor" (mentioned earlier in this thread) due to a potential problem with the gauges "reflecting" off the windshield at night time, , , AND the visor would shade the gauges to prevent "sun glare" making them unreadable in bright sunlight.

If you don't find any issue with the gauges during night riding, OR day riding, then you're GOLDEN!!! Nice

(P.S. panel is due on Monday according to USPS) Enjoy

BigDanT
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Post by BigDanT » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:02 am

I have my eye on the gauge visor. I will wait and see how the gauges look before I decide to order them,.

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:32 pm

I'll be offering the Gauge Visors as an "option" with the Unobtainium 2.0 panels. I received a small number of them and they are really a great addition to that panel.

I used double-sided tape for these pics but the tape is NOT the long-term answer to attach these visors. There is a rounded "tab" on the visor with a hole to attach the visor to the panel. The "tap screw" will be included with the purchase of a visor.