trouble brake bleeding

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
vcdc
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

trouble brake bleeding

Post by vcdc »

MY '95 1500 just passed 200K miles with original front master brake master cylinder and caliper, so time to rebuild. After rebuild kit, I put it all back together I can not get it to bleed either by pumping of by vacuum. I can not get a good flow through the bleed nipple. Removed the caliper and saw that the pistons were still not pushing the pads. I am at a loss what could be wrong. Any ideas?

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: trouble brake bleeding

Post by bluthundr31 »

The front brake master cylinder operates the right (looking from seat) brake ONLY. With THAT many miles, did you happen to put on NEW lines, or better yet, upgrade to Stainless Steel brake lines? Using DOT4 fluid, it should bleed fine unless your bleeders are "clogged" with gunk. Consider putting Speed-bleeders on it and see it that works. The speed-bleeders are cheap but make a world of difference for "one-person" bleeding. You can also try the "syringe" method where you connect a syringe of DOT4 to the bleeder and "force" the fluid up and into the hose/master cylinder to get air out of the lines.

vcdc
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: trouble brake bleeding

Post by vcdc »

The front brake master cylinder operates the right (looking from seat) brake ONLY. With THAT many miles, did you happen to put on NEW lines, or better yet, upgrade to Stainless Steel brake lines? Using DOT4 fluid, it should bleed fine unless your bleeders are "clogged" with gunk. Consider putting Speed-bleeders on it and see it that works. The speed-bleeders are cheap but make a world of difference for "one-person" bleeding. You can also try the "syringe" method where you connect a syringe of DOT4 to the bleeder and "force" the fluid up and into the hose/master cylinder to get air out of the lines.

The front brake began to leak last year and I replaced the the hose with OEM. I was using a cheap vac that I discovered had a leak. I bought a MightyVac and it did work and the brake is as strong as it has been in quite a while. Time to ride, heading to Florida next week with the Wing in the back of our toyhauler.
Attachments