Slow to start when wet


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
User avatar
eastkytriker
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: grayson, ky.
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Slow to start when wet

Post by eastkytriker » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:10 pm



I have a 1990 Goldwing 1500 and live the winter in Florida where we get a lot of humidity and fog through the nite to the point it looks like the trike has been setting out in rain. When i go to start it in these conditions it cranks for a long time before firing off. Once it starts it ok but something must be picking up a lot of moisture also when i wash it and soak it down with garden hose it does the same. Battery is strong, New AGM and volts only drop to 12.2 when cranking. Any ideas?



User avatar
ct1500
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Glastonbury,CT
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Contact:

Re: Slow to start when wet

Post by ct1500 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:28 pm

When were the spark plugs last changed? :lol: Seriously, old possibly fouled and widened gap spark plugs can require more voltage to fire and lead to the breakdown of now 30 yr. old plug wires.

If it were my ride plugs and wires would be on the to do list.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

User avatar
eastkytriker
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: grayson, ky.
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Re: Slow to start when wet

Post by eastkytriker » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:42 pm

Plugs were changed about five years/ 40 k miles ago and wires probably never. I have read on some forums that wires are never an issue but mine could be different viewtopic.php?t=38533

User avatar
Aussie81Interstate
Posts: 1063
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:34 am
Location: Penrith Australia
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: Slow to start when wet

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:30 pm

Time for at least some new spark plugs. Buy your bike a christmas present... Wires I would leave alone - unless you feel the need to replace them

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19772
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Slow to start when wet

Post by WingAdmin » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:32 pm

Any time I have a vehicle with starting issues that arise when wet or humid, the plug wires are the first place I look.

User avatar
eastkytriker
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: grayson, ky.
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Re: Slow to start when wet

Post by eastkytriker » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:36 pm

I am going to replace the plugs and go from there. Years and not miles probably getting to the plugs. Was riding yesterday and twice the engine hiccuped one time while cruising at speed, Kinda gets your attention when this happens

User avatar
ct1500
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Glastonbury,CT
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Contact:

Re: Slow to start when wet

Post by ct1500 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:05 pm

eastkytriker wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:42 pm
Plugs were changed about five years/ 40 k miles ago and wires probably never. I have read on some forums that wires are never an issue but mine could be different viewtopic.php?t=38533
You however are reporting a problem unlike the thread linked.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

User avatar
ct1500
Posts: 1095
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Glastonbury,CT
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Contact:

Re: Slow to start when wet

Post by ct1500 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:29 pm

eastkytriker wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:36 pm
I am going to replace the plugs and go from there. Years and not miles probably getting to the plugs. Was riding yesterday and twice the engine hiccuped one time while cruising at speed, Kinda gets your attention when this happens
Spark plugs will either work or they don't with some varying degrees of gray. You would really not notice one cylinder dropping out of six at cruising speed it would be more of a subtle event. You are describing an event in the engine that gets your attention fast which would mean multiple spark plugs are failing intermittently at the exact same time, not likely gonna happen from the plugs themselves.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

89 1500
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:29 pm
Location: Texas
Motorcycle: 89 GL1500

Re: Slow to start when wet

Post by 89 1500 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:07 pm

The 89 I used to have did the same thing and had noting to do with the plugs. Mine was wires. Had a couple of bad ones and couldn't get a good seal at the heads. Moisture would get down to the plugs. I could almost kill a battery trying to start it after it got wet. I used to carry a cover with me just in case. Factory wires aren't cheap either $22 or $23 a piece if I remember right and like most anything else on a wing a pita to install.

User avatar
eastkytriker
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: grayson, ky.
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Re: Slow to start when wet

Post by eastkytriker » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:11 pm

89 1500 wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:07 pm
The 89 I used to have did the same thing and had noting to do with the plugs. Mine was wires. Had a couple of bad ones and couldn't get a good seal at the heads. Moisture would get down to the plugs. I could almost kill a battery trying to start it after it got wet. I used to carry a cover with me just in case. Factory wires aren't cheap either $22 or $23 a piece if I remember right and like most anything else on a wing a pita to install.
I am going to do the plugs first. They are the cheapest and easiest to do. Hope I don’t have to go the wires

User avatar
RockportDave
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:39 pm
Location: Rockport Texas
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Re: Slow to start when wet

Post by RockportDave » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:38 am

If you have an air compressor, on the next wet morning pull the wires off the plugs and blow the moisture off the wires and plugs before trying to start it.
Dave
1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years

User avatar
eastkytriker
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: grayson, ky.
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Re: Slow to start when wet

Post by eastkytriker » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:32 pm

RockportDave wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:38 am
If you have an air compressor, on the next wet morning pull the wires off the plugs and blow the moisture off the wires and plugs before trying to start it.
Dave
Good idea, I think when I change the plugs I will leave the plastic off and wait until dark and soak the wires with water and see if l have any arcing

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19772
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Slow to start when wet

Post by WingAdmin » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:57 pm

eastkytriker wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:32 pm
RockportDave wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:38 am
If you have an air compressor, on the next wet morning pull the wires off the plugs and blow the moisture off the wires and plugs before trying to start it.
Dave
Good idea, I think when I change the plugs I will leave the plastic off and wait until dark and soak the wires with water and see if l have any arcing
Don't soak them - use a mister spray bottle, and spray a bit at a time. You'll see the fireworks start when you get to the problem (if that is in fact the problem).

User avatar
eastkytriker
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: grayson, ky.
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Re: Slow to start when wet

Post by eastkytriker » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:54 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:57 pm
eastkytriker wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:32 pm
RockportDave wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:38 am
If you have an air compressor, on the next wet morning pull the wires off the plugs and blow the moisture off the wires and plugs before trying to start it.
Dave
Good idea, I think when I change the plugs I will leave the plastic off and wait until dark and soak the wires with water and see if l have any arcing
Don't soak them - use a mister spray bottle, and spray a bit at a time. You'll see the fireworks start when you get to the problem (if that is in fact the problem).
Thanks, I will use a spray bottle sparingly

User avatar
eastkytriker
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: grayson, ky.
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Re: Slow to start when wet

Post by eastkytriker » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:39 pm

Changed the spark plugs today with NGK DPR7EA9. The one's came out was DPR6EA9 which is supposed to be a hotter plug put in by Honda dealership. They looked like new other than electrodes were white like it might be running a little lean. I also left the tupperware off and misted all the wires with water using a spray bottle and no arching and no effect. So the jury is still out on why it's hard to start in wet conditions.

User avatar
Aussie81Interstate
Posts: 1063
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:34 am
Location: Penrith Australia
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: Slow to start when wet

Post by Aussie81Interstate » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:51 pm

do your plugs have resistor caps in them ? maybe some corrosion?

User avatar
eastkytriker
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:37 pm
Location: grayson, ky.
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500-motortrike conversion
2008 Goldwing 1800/ Roadsmith HTS 1800

Re: Slow to start when wet

Post by eastkytriker » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:07 pm

Aussie81Interstate wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:51 pm
do your plugs have resistor caps in them ? maybe some corrosion?
They are resistor plugs but I don't what a cap is.



Post Reply