Yet another 1999 GL1500 SE not starting.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Chronos70
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Yet another 1999 GL1500 SE not starting.

Post by Chronos70 »

Good morning Guru's of Gold Wing Docs!

Yesterday I awoke to a mild to moderate rainstorm that lasted all day. Went out to see my baby all wet, didn't bother to wrestle with the cover cause she was already drenched. Later I had to go to the store to get dinner, suited up, got out there tried to start her up. No joy, which doesn't surprise me cause it was cold and she is stubborn to start when cold. So I cranked with the choke on, and at various different settings, no luck. I continued until I drained the battery, the last attempt I noticed a relay fast clicking and then nothing. so I walked to the store, got dinner and a trickle charger. Hooked up the charger and let it charge overnight. This morning after it stopped raining I go out stick the key in turn to the start position, hit the start button and nothing. With the key in start, I hear a click, and when I press the start button I hear another click and I see the neutral light dim a bit. I've had some issues in the past with the relay next to the battery sticking open when starting so I will tap it and it closes. Don't know if that relay is stuck closed or not.

I know a lot of exposition there, so lets see if I can summarize:

Checked the fuses on the left side; all good
Turn key to start, hear a faint click
Press the start button, hear another faint click and the dash lights slightly dim.
the key switch is a little worn out, sometimes when it's cold I have to wiggle the key for the dash lights to come on.

The start button only works at a certain point, if pressed further it doesn't activate the starter.
At the present, I'm strapped for cash, so I can't just go out and buy a part to see if that fixes things.
The bike is my only transportation, so I'm screwed till she's fixed.

Thank you for reading this far. Any help greatly appreciated.

Where are we going, and what's with this basket?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Yet another 1999 GL1500 SE not starting.

Post by WingAdmin »

Do you have a voltmeter? What is the voltage of your battery?

What kind of trickle charger did you get?

It does not take much moisture at ALL to kill spark. If the drain holes in your spark plug wells are clogged (which is common), you could have moisture in the plug wells that is sapping your spark.

If that's the case, you can crank all you like and it won't start, because the spark is being sucked away through the water (which becomes the shortest path) instead of across the spark plug electrodes.

If the battery was completely drained, it's very possible a trickle charger will not charge it overnight, depending on its capacity.

Chronos70
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by Chronos70 »

After doing some more reading, (I used to be better at this car/motorcycle troubleshooting stuff, but if you don't use it ya loose it i guess) I bypassed the starter relay switch with a screw driver by touching the post on the relay with the other end touching the positive battery cable and the starter engaged. But I don't have the $$$ to purchase a new one at the present. Can it be assumed that the relay is bad?

Thanks
Where are we going, and what's with this basket?

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

WingAdmin wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:32 pm
Do you have a voltmeter? What is the voltage of your battery?

What kind of trickle charger did you get?

If the battery was completely drained, it's very possible a trickle charger will not charge it overnight, depending on its capacity.
Most importantly, did you read the post above and did you check voltages? Did you check the voltage before, during and after the battery was charging? No need to buy anything until you are sure what is causing the issue.

MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA