Hel Braided Brake Hose Kit

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Wisemonkey
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SEY

Hel Braided Brake Hose Kit

Post by Wisemonkey » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:51 pm

About to pull the trigger on the above kit for my newish to me GL 1500 SE (2000). Got to be a good move on a bike of this age, anybody done similar ?
Also had both wheels out of her and off to the Powder Coaters for a full refurb, even though she has only 25000 miles on saw a few "worms" on the wheels. The original owner sorted the pressed area of the swing arm out by infilling some weld in same. I am making sure any cruddy areas on the frame are sorted whilst the wheels are out ( seen a couple minor scabs easy to sort)

Next job replace rear offside shock with a custom built Hagon shock ( rider/pillion/luggage weight tuned) and progressive Fork Springs again from Hagon. It will have a new set of Dunlop Elite 4's on.

As I am a bit picky there is one bubble on one of the recesses where the chrome head covers bolts appear. I do not think it is an easy job to rechrome said covers but has any body had chrome removed and gone down the polished alloy route ?
If so how easy is it to keep looking good ?

Cheers,

WM

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: Hel Braided Brake Hose Kit

Post by bluthundr31 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:26 pm

You're gonna love the improved feel with the Braided SS brake lines. Since you're going to need to recharge/refill the brake lines with new DOT4, consider adding a buck or two for Speed-bleeders for both front calipers and the rear caliper. They are a life-saver when it comes to doing a "one-person job" and bleeding the lines. They made a huge difference when I put on my SS brake lines.

I'm not much help with the powder coat issue, or the chrome issue even though my chrome covers have the same problem as yours. There are other issues that seemed more important to me, , , , such as the fact that the 1500's are now 19-31 yrs old and MOTHER HONDA failed to account for letting the rider know their 19-31 year old ALTERNATOR is failing. Unless you don't mind being stranded in the boondocks when your alternator craps out, , ,consider installing a voltmeter, digital or analog, so you can monitor the "health" of that old alternator. It just so happens that there are many GREAT threads on the site to help give you a few ideas on how to best do that. Some might say this is a "self-serving" comment, , , but its 100% the truth, and a blemish on Honda's lack of fore-sight.

Wisemonkey

Post by Wisemonkey » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Bluthundr31,
Thanks for the input and steer. Will definately have a look at the Voltmeter etc ( good on you if you offer same on here) My bike had a brand new Honda alternator 2 years ago from Silvers in the UK From memory the price was circa £450.00 ? The original owner had same fitted.

If the Voltmeter (?) tells Houston we have a problem what does Houston do buy another Alternator ?

Cheers,

WM

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by RockportDave » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:33 pm

Wisemonkey wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:54 pm
Bluthundr31,
Thanks for the input and steer. Will definately have a look at the Voltmeter etc ( good on you if you offer same on here) My bike had a brand new Honda alternator 2 years ago from Silvers in the UK From memory the price was circa £450.00 ? The original owner had same fitted.

If the Voltmeter (?) tells Houston we have a problem what does Houston do buy another Alternator ?

Cheers,

WM
My alternator (Honda original) went out during a 120 mile run and without a volt meter I didn’t know until it started running bad and a few miles later it died. Luckily our son was riding with us and we were only 10 miles from home. He and the wife rode home and got the truck and trailer.
I ordered a 90 amp alternator online and installed it and a volt meter at the same time. My thoughts are with a volt meter, I will have enough distance left to get somewhere safe or possibly home before it dies.
After checking the original alternator, I replaced the voltage regulator and brushes on it and will carry it and wrenches on future long trips.
Dave
1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:12 am

A bunch of us (two GL1100s, a Beemer, a Virago 1100, and a Honda Shadow) took off on a 400 mile ride, The Virago rider said his voltage regulator was iffy, so I packed some tools and jumper cables.

Well, about 150 miles into the ride the iffy voltage regulator "packed it in" and the Virago coasted over to the side of the road. We didn't let this ruin the ride, though, we kept doing a battery swap between the Virago and the Shadow - same size battery. Put the charged battery in the Virago, (we pulled out the headlight fuse to give him extra range) and I'd hook the Shadow with dead battery up to my Wing and give him a jump-start. Down the road again, the Shadow recharging the dead battery along the way.

It took four battery swaps to finish the ride.

So if the voltmeter says "Houston, we have a problem", Houston recommends pulling headlight fuse, significantly reducing battery draw and increasing possible range!
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:28 am

That story reminds me of the time four of us were on a trip from Alabama out through the western states. There were two 1100s and two 1200s and one of the GL1200s had the stator fail on the trip somewhere in Montana. We were probably somewhere near 2500 miles from home at the time. We swapped the battery out with one of the 1100s and pulled the headlight fuse on the one with the bad stator. I don't know how many times we had to make that swap but it was a lot. I think he could ride somewhere around 2 hours on the battery then it was time to swap them out again. We made it back home to Alabama without any other problems. We had some fun ragging him about his, at the time a fairly new motorcycle, and having to push start it. We were up around Beartooth pass looking around and one of our guys said "a $10,000 motorcycle and you have to push it off". There was a couple walking by, not part of our group, and the guy was trying not to laugh out loud when he head that. We thought it was funny. I don't think the guy with the bad stator thought it was as funny as we did!

Wisemonkey

Post by Wisemonkey » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:22 pm

You boys out there have the pioneering spirit by nessesity, here most of my rides at most I will only be 100 miles away from home so really no drama. Quick phone call and wait up to an hour for recovery and back home in a couple of hours. OK bit of a drag if you are on a tour in Scotland or mainland Europe, but then its taken to the nearest bike shop and get the wallet out !posting.php?mode=reply&f=6&t=50238#

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:14 pm

I think you just NAILED it!! When the voltmeter says "Houston we have a problem", you know you should find a shop within 100 mile radius so it gets fixed, or hopefully make it back to the barn if you're within that 100 mile limit. The headlight fuse is going to extend the radius a bit too.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:45 pm

bluthundr31 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:14 pm
I think you just NAILED it!! When the voltmeter says "Houston we have a problem", you know you should find a shop within 100 mile radius so it gets fixed, or hopefully make it back to the barn if you're within that 100 mile limit. The headlight fuse is going to extend the radius a bit too.
Maybe we need an emergency ram air turbine generator that pops out of the fairing into the wind, kind of like what airliners use to power their hydraulics if their engines fail. :)

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Hmmmm, , If you come up with a turbine generator that'll fit, , , I can find the vendor to come up with a "pop-out" panel. just what we both need, , ,ANOTHER project to take up our time :)