Volume control

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
aj1500
Motorcycle: 97 1500 SE
Motorvation II sidecar
Double Dark Side # 1522
Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16
PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18
USCA# 8913

Volume control

Post by aj1500 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:42 pm

lately I have been having this strange issue, it has to do with radio volume control as in the auto volume up while riding
sometimes it doesn't work like it should. I am working on the sticky mute button also, the button comes out like it should but it doesn't unmute
every time and sometimes if I just leave it out it will un mute after a couple min.
so how is the volume controlled while riding, the auto part, is it controlled by the speedometer
My LCD screen is going away so I hope that isn't causing it

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: Volume control

Post by MikeB » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:57 pm

I keep the MUTE knob turned all the way down and the AVC turned all the way up. Then I have no issues with the volume changing.

Also, the AVC control will increase the radio volume slightly at approximately 42 mph and then decrease slightly at approximately 38 mph but not to a large degree.

A description of the knobs function from the owner' manual:

AVC - To automatically increase volume as the speed of the motorcycle increases - tum the knob clockwise.

MUTE - The intercom mute system automatically lowers (does not silence) the music/program volume when you speak through the imercom.
• To increase how loudly you must s~ to activate the mute circuit - tum the knob coumerclockwise.
• To decrease how loudly you must speak to activate the mule system - tum the knob clockwise.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:30 pm

As far as the mute button on the left handlebar gores, if it is actually a problem then a liberal application of CRC contact cleaner while operating the button multiple times may be necessary. Be sure to cover anything that you are not comfortable with the contact cleaner coming in contact with.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Rodzim
Motorcycle: 1994 gl1500 se

Post by Rodzim » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:16 pm

To properly deal with sticky buttons you have to take the switches apart. Its not a difficult task at all. Spraying them from the outside does nothing. I did it for a couple of months to work the cruise and hazards button and it worked for a couple of hours before sticking again. Last month i took the switches apart to replace the lights with leds and i saw how the mechanism works. Its impossible to spray inside without taking them apart.
Once you open the switches you can squirt your favorite penetrating fluid deep inside the mechanism. It will re-liquefy the grease and in turn you will have brand new switches. Its a 5 minute job.
To remove the switches from the handlebars it takes 2 philips screws. Look up the write up to replace handlebar lights with leds.