GL1500 stereo upgrade/replacement

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: GL1500 stereo upgrade/replacement

Post by NOVAwing » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:38 pm

Rambozo wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:06 pm
NOVAwing wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:54 pm
Looks like only 5amp? Can I up the fuse?

I haven't decided on a fuse block yet, but the stereo is ready to install.
Just add a relay to the acc terminal, then you can use it to switch the 15amps your stereo needs.
Many fuse blocks have provisions for that type of relay so you can take care of all that in one go.
Thanks, good advice.

But that's what the fuse block will be for.

Just need to know if I need to up the factory acc fuse for this 160watt marine stereo for now?

NOVAwing
1993 GL1500 Aspencade, restored from 4 years rotting outside.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:06 pm

DAAYYUMMM, , that marine radio mounted on that blank panel REALLY looks GOOD Novawing!!!

Looks like you did a fine job with making the "cut-out". Does that Jensen come with a "template" to help with cutting out the right size hole??? I wish I'd found that Jensen radio before I settled for mine, , , hindsight is 20/20.

As stated earlier, ,run a relay to the accessory terminals to "trigger" a "hot" wire to the radio AND put a 15Amp IN-LINE fuse.

Again, , nice job with the new stereo setup!!!!

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:48 pm

I would not go from a 5A to a 15A without knowing how the factory fuse block is made. Since the fuse is right next to the terminals I would guess that there is a pretty substantial strip of metal connecting them. But that is just a guess. It could also be a super thin bus that will melt above 5A then you will be out an expensive factory fuse block. To me not worth the risk. As a temp measure you can always hook up the stereo to the battery or the dogbone fuse, with it's factory inline 15A fuse. You will just have to turn it off as it won't work with the key. Or do the relay, even if you plan on something different later on.

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:19 pm

bluthundr31 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:06 pm
DAAYYUMMM, , that marine radio mounted on that blank panel REALLY looks GOOD Novawing!!!

Looks like you did a fine job with making the "cut-out". Does that Jensen come with a "template" to help with cutting out the right size hole??? I wish I'd found that Jensen radio before I settled for mine, , , hindsight is 20/20.

As stated earlier, ,run a relay to the accessory terminals to "trigger" a "hot" wire to the radio AND put a 15Amp IN-LINE fuse.

Again, , nice job with the new stereo setup!!!!
Thanks Blu!

It does look good but, in hindsight I should have chosen something else. The buttons suck to use and are mostly 1 click per push, or a long pause of holding the button to get fast movement. But it has good power, media options, and is water proof, and heavy duty rated they claim.

Similar, but worse buttons, then the old Jensen I had on my Suzuki Burgman 650.

I may look into the handle bar remote controls that some one else posted for this radio later.

Works for now on factory acc terminal. Will switch it to relayed later, don't need much volume and seems fine while testing so far. It does remind me that these speakers suck lol.

Pics in a few days when it cools down, I forgot to take any while installing it tonight but it was just connecting bullet connectors and putting radio shelter back in.

Also may need to wrap wires in something like the factory rubber boot on factory radio to keep rain out.....

Will probably ride Friday and get more pics.
NOVAwing

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:21 pm

Rambozo wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:48 pm
I would not go from a 5A to a 15A without knowing how the factory fuse block is made. Since the fuse is right next to the terminals I would guess that there is a pretty substantial strip of metal connecting them. But that is just a guess. It could also be a super thin bus that will melt above 5A then you will be out an expensive factory fuse block. To me not worth the risk. As a temp measure you can always hook up the stereo to the battery or the dogbone fuse, with it's factory inline 15A fuse. You will just have to turn it off as it won't work with the key. Or do the relay, even if you plan on something different later on.
Hi Ram,

Thanks much, those are valid concerns. I will order a fuse block asap and switch it over to relayed.

For now keeping the volume down and so far so good.
NOVAwing

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:25 am

I might be inclined to run a relay with 14AWG wires from the "+" and "-" accessory screws as the "trigger" circuit of the relay. The 5Amps from the accessory screws will "trip" the relay and won't overload anything, , THEN tap into the + side of the battery with an in-line 15A fuse to the "hot-in" of the relay, and a 14 awg wire from the "hot-out" side of the relay to the radio. The circuit has no "draw" until the key is turned which powers the "trigger" side of the relay, and the battery power wire now has 12v with an in-line fuse. The radio as an additional (probably 15A fuse) to help protect the internal circuits. You'll be able to find the "ground" in the radio (probably in the instructions) and take it to a good ground, , now your radio is happy and blasting out tunes to shake the hills.

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:21 pm

You guys are all correct on the relay and fuse.

I will get to it soon lol.

Stereo has a factory 15amp inline fuse also.

Rode to work and back in the rain today radio worked fine on factory 5amp acc port.

But it was also 20 degrees cooler today as a cold front came through. Thank God, it feels good to get a break from all that heat 🔥

I will get it properly wired and screwed down soon. Also debating on making it tilted back some by raising the front edge some how. It's a little to flat and some what hard to read and I have not even tried in the sun yet.

Also as a reminder, the buttons suck. Even more so now that I rode the bike with gloves per normal.

Bad choice of stereo lol.....

Pics installed below.

Thanks
Attachments

NOVAwing

Rambozo

Post by Rambozo » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:41 pm

NOVAwing wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:21 pm
Also as a reminder, the buttons suck. Even more so now that I rode the bike with gloves per normal.

Dang, I was looking at that one, as a good solution. I was planning on hooking up the stock handlebar switches to the remote port, so maybe that will make the bad buttons less of an issue. Maybe this will be a back burner project, for awhile.

smack67
Motorcycle: 1998 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Post by smack67 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:11 pm

NOVAwing wrote:

Rode to work and back in the rain today radio worked fine on factory 5amp acc port.

But it was also 20 degrees cooler today as a cold front came through. Thank God, it feels good to get a break from all that heat 🔥

I will get it properly wired and screwed down soon. Also debating on making it tilted back some by raising the front edge some how. It's a little to flat and some what hard to read and I have not even tried in the sun yet.

Pics installed below.

Thanks
The radio buttons are not good, the handlebar controls work well. The only problem is changing a radio station as you have to keep clicking the ch button and it goes by 1 increment at a time, I generally use bt so it works well for next/last song.

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Rambozo wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:41 pm
NOVAwing wrote:

Dang, I was looking at that one, as a good solution. I was planning on hooking up the stock handlebar switches to the remote port, so maybe that will make the bad buttons less of an issue. Maybe this will be a back burner project, for awhile.
The stereo itself seems good. It's the buttons that suck, and the slowness of it doing something when you hit the buttons. Wiring the handle bar controls should make it tolerable.

Pita using gloves. I also miss the auto volume leveling of the factory stereo as you go faster. But I can live with that.

Good stereo, terrible button design and sluggish software.
NOVAwing

NOVAwing

Post by NOVAwing » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:30 pm

smack67 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:11 pm
NOVAwing wrote:

Pics installed below.

Thanks
The radio buttons are not good, the handlebar controls work well. The only problem is changing a radio station as you have to keep clicking the ch button and it goes by 1 increment at a time, I generally use bt so it works well for next/last song.
Hi smack,

Yea I pan to look into the handle bar controls.

Are you the one that listed this stereo and that hack?

If so your awesome, any advice aside from what you posted already?

All I want on the handle bar is volume, and track forward and backward. Mostly use USB flash drive or 2-3 radio station presets.

Thanks
NOVAwing

Chris Vickers
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Goldwing with Champion Trike Kit

Post by Chris Vickers » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:44 am

Anyone ever locate one of these blank off plates

Rambozo

Post by Rambozo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:12 am

Chris Vickers wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:44 am
Anyone ever locate one of these blank off plates
bluthundr31 had them made. Contact him for details.

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:46 pm

Hi Chris Vickers, Check out the thread on this site titled;
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50845

I make $0 profit off this panel, , ,the vendor charges me $132 per panel so that's what I charge members, + shipping fees. I have a few in stock still. I usually ship within 24 hrs of receiving funds.

They've been "beefed-up"/modified from the original and the fitment and appearance is outstanding IMHO.

dennisml
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Goldwing GL1500

Post by dennisml » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:02 pm

Has anyone installed an aftermarket radio and still have the ability to use the CB Radio/controls and left handlebar radio controls?
I have a 1999 GL1500 SE

dennisml

Post by dennisml » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:13 pm

I also noticed there is a connector that plugs in the back of the radio for the LCD display. Will the LCD display still have some function with an aftermarket radio? I guessing it will not.

Rambozo

Post by Rambozo » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:02 pm

You can use the handlebar controls with radios that support a wired remote. Search the threads here for the pinouts. AFAIK no one has integrated the CB or LCD.

dennisml

Post by dennisml » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:05 am

Rambozo wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:02 pm
You can use the handlebar controls with radios that support a wired remote. Search the threads here for the pinouts. AFAIK no one has integrated the CB or LCD.
Thanks you!

dennisml

Post by dennisml » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:43 am

[img]cid:914EEA2F-0B52-4356-9852-67400DF7E30A@neo.rr.com[/img]

I got my Unobtainium 2.0 panel with a aftermarket radio all installed.
Attachments

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 pm

Dennisml,
That Unobtainium 2.1 (radio blank-off) panel looks and fits seamlessly on your centershelter!
The Unobtainium 2.0 is an Ignition panel that allows for two 2" gauges, voltmeter or oil pressure or anything else.

Thanks for the pic and you deserve cudos for an outstanding job!!

Which radio did you put on it and what features does it have, , and cost?

dennisml

Post by dennisml » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:35 pm

Thanks,
I think it came out pretty good.

I went with a Fusion Marine Radio MS-RA55, it was about $150 at Crutchfield and I paired it with some Polk DB501 speakers for the front. The sound quality is much improved and louder.

The Radio has Bluetooth,AM/FM, and Aux inputs. It will not support a remote so I could not hook up the handlebar controls. So I gave up the handlebars controls and a cb radio (which I never used) for much better sound and the ability to stream music from my phone. I will be replacing the rear speakers in the near future, probably with some Polk DB401's