UNOBTAINIUM 3.0 PANEL? DIN adapter

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Stew
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite 50 SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

UNOBTAINIUM 3.0 PANEL? DIN adapter

Post by Stew » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:20 pm

Not sure how many panels you have to sell to make it worth your while, but if you were thinking about another such item please consider a DIN radio adapter. If it could be done for about the same price as the UNOBTAINIUM 2.0 panels I would put my money where my mouth is and be your first customer :) Those gauge panels you made are such good quality, you've got me wanting more!

Without stealing anyone's ideas of course, something along the lines of these... as far as I can tell no one is currently making any such item anymore.

Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 25,098 miles and counting as of Mar 18, 2019!

oldmopars
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE
1989 GL1500 parts bike
1984 GL1200 Aspencade FOR SALE

Re: UNOBTAINIUM 3.0 PANEL? DIN adapter

Post by oldmopars » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:16 pm

I would think that there would be more interest in a set up like in this post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50410
There are very few DIN radios that are water proof. However there are several Marine style radios that include MP3 and AUX inputs that most riders want.
Single DIN radios are still out there, but so few newer cars use them and the interest in CDs is going away for other digital media, they may go the way of knob radios. Still there, but few.

If I could dream, it would be that someone created an adapter that would plug into the 1500 where the radio plugs in and is an AUX input. Remove the radio, turn it into a storage box like I have done and just have a AUX wire and maybe a USB input also.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:27 pm

Both of those single DIN mounting panel designs look nice. For riding purposes though, neither of them is "angled" for easy reading to change modes, or channels. I have no idea what the cost of those panels are, and I haven't found any available. Personally, I would prefer having the "face" of the radio "looking up" at the riders eyes making it MUCH easier to see what the radio is doing.

There are A TON of marine quality, waterproof, single DIN radios out there with Bluetooth capability, USB ports, Aux-in ports, and all the other features most of us are looking for. The round, or "oval" face marine radios are great too, large buttons and clear "readouts".

That Jensen radio that Smack67 installed is EXACTLY what many riders would be happy with. Waterproof, Bluetooth, USB, and Aux-in is great, ,but the power and output of the unit is VERY acceptable for the cost. The OEM radios are getting to be almost 20-33 years old, and the cost of "fixing" them is getting outrageous, , , thats IF you can get someone to diagnose it AND fix it.

If that Jensen has only 2.5" depth, it would EASILY fit in a "hole" that was 3" deep. I think I have a decent idea about what to do, , , , , I know of a "blank" panel that bolts to the same mounting holes on the centershelter as the OEM radio uses, , AND this panel has a cassette door cover for a seamless look. There is 3" of clearance between the air filter and the front (closest to dash), and 3.5" clearance between the air filter at the point where the centershelter angles downward toward the gas door.

That Jensen radio would look GREAT here, , , (This dual radio is a single DIN that is fine when the "body" is detached from the "face" and set on a plate.)

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:31 pm

Not sure how I did it, , , but, without warning, the speakers of my $20 radio quit working. So I bought a new radio for $13.99 (Wallyworld), slapped it in, and its all good-to-go. I must've blown a circuit on the old radio. I figure if I blow a radio every 12-18 months, it'll take about 10 years before it stops being "cost-effective".
The bluetooth pairs to my headset and iPhone, the Aux-in plays music from the phone, and using the NAVI app on the phone I never get "lost". The USB port charges the phone so i never have to worry about the phone going dead. The USB port also plays MP3's from a thumbdrive when reception in the hills/mtns gets too bad. "loudness" ON/OFF is great for freeway speeds, and selective equalizer helps with clarity.
Mama is "partial" to the fact that the remote control lets her "over-ride" my choice in music. This setup is a "quantum leap" ahead of the crappy little Kenwood radio (stuffed in the left fairing pocket) that came standard from Honda.
The "blank-off" panel was the key to being able to use 21st century technology for all of my "music" needs, and I wouldn't go back for any amount of money, , , ,

This pic shows the Dual radio on my beast, and the "thumbdrive" is in the USB port. The Aux-in is unplugged for the pic.

oldmopars
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 SE
1989 GL1500 parts bike
1984 GL1200 Aspencade FOR SALE

Post by oldmopars » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:13 am

bluthundr31 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:31 pm
Not sure how I did it, , , but, without warning, the speakers of my $20 radio quit working. So I bought a new radio for $13.99 (Wallyworld), slapped it in, and its all good-to-go. I must've blown a circuit on the old radio. I figure if I blow a radio every 12-18 months, it'll take about 10 years before it stops being "cost-effective".
The bluetooth pairs to my headset and iPhone, the Aux-in plays music from the phone, and using the NAVI app on the phone I never get "lost". The USB port charges the phone so i never have to worry about the phone going dead. The USB port also plays MP3's from a thumbdrive when reception in the hills/mtns gets too bad. "loudness" ON/OFF is great for freeway speeds, and selective equalizer helps with clarity.
Mama is "partial" to the fact that the remote control lets her "over-ride" my choice in music. This setup is a "quantum leap" ahead of the crappy little Kenwood radio (stuffed in the left fairing pocket) that came standard from Honda.
The "blank-off" panel was the key to being able to use 21st century technology for all of my "music" needs, and I wouldn't go back for any amount of money, , , ,

This pic shows the Dual radio on my beast, and the "thumbdrive" is in the USB port. The Aux-in is unplugged for the pic.
Dual radio.JPG
You still have not said where the "Blank off" panel came from. WHere did you get it? Is it OEM or aftermarket?

tnt9339
Motorcycle: 2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
1990 GL 1500A Aspencade

Previously owned;
1978 CB550/4
1976 GL1000
1983 VT500 Shadow
1983 GL650 Interstate
1985 GL1200 Interstate
1995 GL1500 Aspencade
2001 GL1800

Post by tnt9339 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:50 pm

The 91 Interstate had a Clarion radio, I believe, in the left pocket and the blank panel in place of the Aspencade radio/cassette. It is no longer available. I have been looking on eBay for one for what seems like forever.
Hopefully bluthundr31 will get it worked out and we can have new ones.

Tony

bluthundr31

Post by bluthundr31 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:45 pm

yep, it's all in the hands of the "vendor" now, , , ,cosmetically, it will "look" just like the original '91 Interstate panel from the top, and bolt up the same way. I worked on modifying the "legs" so they're a bit more "beefy" and since there are only three of them, I wanted them to hold up for a bit more weight. I'm changing to the same material that is used for the Unobtainium 2.0 panels and the positive feedback from the guys who bought them have supported my opinion that it is stronger/sturdier than the original. The blank-off panels will be BLACK.

The Marine radios with a short (<3") "body" with all the bells and whistles for the 21st century technology will make your group, or solo riding so much better. There is some good information about being able to match up the wiring so that the handlebar controls will work too!! Figuring all that out is WAY above my pay-grade though, , but it's being done for sure.

I'll give more information out as I get it. THANKS