Cruise Control maintenance

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Cruise Control maintenance

Post by Alan_Hepburn »

So, I'm going to be looking into my cruise control issue soon - here's what's happening:

I can push the power button and the Cruise On light lights up; I press the Set button and the Cruise Set light lights up. I can activate any of the switches: clutch, brakes, or throttle and the Cruise Set light goes off. The only thing that doesn't happen is the cruise control actually taking control of the throttle. I suspect that the cable might have come loose from the throttle linkage and I want to verify that - my problem is that I don't know how to access wherever it is that the cable lives. I've looked at the How-To section but don't see anything there on how to get into the cruise control cable - can someone tell me exactly which pieces of tupperware I need to remove so I can see, and possibly repair, the area where the cruise cable connects to the throttle linkage?

Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

kane67
Motorcycle: Honda GL1500-88

Re: Cruise Control maintenance

Post by kane67 »

Hi,

If cruise seem to work and stays on like you said, I would start looking / checking vacuum parts.
Leak somewhere?
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-gl1500a-gol ... I3pMbLkuhA

br, kane

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

If you have a vacuum gauge you could try connecting it to the vacuum line for the cruise actuator (easily accessible by popping off the left side covers, the actuator is right by the alternator) and then try setting the cruise again. See if any vacuum shows up on the gauge. You'll have to do this driving down the road though....

See viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27383
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

fibersport
Motorcycle: 2001 Goldwing 1800
1990 Goldwing 1500
2002 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe - sold
1986 Rebel - sold
1972 Trail 70 (still have it!)

Post by fibersport »

There is a How To titled Cruise Control Lag (well at least close to that) that covers the lag you can get with trying to engage the cruise control. I had the same problem and then made it worse when I repaired the vacuum leak on the small hose that connects the two throttle bodies on the carbs. I have not had time yet to fix my cruise but mine will never engage, I'm sure it is an adjustment I messed up when I was doing the other repair but this may help you out.

Alan_Hepburn

Post by Alan_Hepburn »

Thanks guys - the reason I'm leaning toward a mechanical issue is because of some work I had done a while ago. When I was trying to figure out my idle surge issue I took it to a guy who ran his own shop and he said he did some work on the carbs, but did not solve the surge problem. The cruise control has not worked since. I'm thinking he might have disconnected the cable and not reconnected it. But then I guess if he disconnected a vacuum line somewhere that would be something to check.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Y - Check easy things first. And if you have a My-t-Vac for bleeding your brakes, you could hook it to the Cruise actuator and put some vacuum to it to see if it moves the throttle. That would check the mechanical side of things.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

Alan_Hepburn

Post by Alan_Hepburn »

DenverWinger wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:43 pm
Y - Check easy things first. And if you have a My-t-Vac for bleeding your brakes, you could hook it to the Cruise actuator and put some vacuum to it to see if it moves the throttle. That would check the mechanical side of things.
Good idea! I was wondering if there was an easy way to check the actuator - never thought of my handy brake bleeder!

CWN
Motorcycle: 43 years winging it

Post by CWN »

I had a similar problem with my 91, turned out it was a faulty cruise valve and $75 later, the new valve solved the problem. Check the vac hose that connects to the top of it, to the left of the gas cap, under the shelter.

Alan_Hepburn

Post by Alan_Hepburn »

It looks Like I'm going to have to strip off a lot of tupperware to get to the cruise connections, so I might as well go ahead and change out the subfilter and cruise filter while I'm in there - I have no idea how old those things are, I've owned the bike for a little over 2 years now and haven't changed them. Anything else I should check while I've got it all opened up? I put in a new fuel filter last year and I know the timing belts were changed before I bought the bike so I'm not worried about them...

Alan_Hepburn

Post by Alan_Hepburn »

So, I've ordered new cruise and sub filters (they should be here by the weekend) and I figured I may as well start disassembling the bike. Got everything taken off and tried to see if there was anything obvious that would make the cruise control inoperative and I did find something suspect: there is a vacuum line hooked to the top front of the cruise valve - that line has a blue tape on it (I assume that identifies the circuit) and it disappears up un der the engine air filter. But, where it disappears is right where there is a bolt that secures the bottom of the air filter housing to the frame, and it looks like it's pinched where it disappears. Should I loosen up that bolt and try to move the vacuum line so it's not pinched? It's not real easy to get to, with a large wiring harness passing by on th frame, but I think I can get something in there to loosen the bolt enough to move the vacuum line.

In the photo you can see the vacuum line directly above the bolt in the center of the photo...

CWN

Post by CWN »

There you go. Just remove it from the top of valve and pull hose to the left and out, then plug it back on and see what happens.

Alan_Hepburn

Post by Alan_Hepburn »

No can do - that tab on the bottom of the air cleaner box has 2 "legs" that go down well below the bolt on both sides. I'll need to lift the whole air box up to get the vacuum line out of there - good thing I'm retired - I've got plenty of time!

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

I'm pretty sure that blue line the vacuum source for your cruise control. When you get that line loose, I'll bet the cruise will start working.
Here is a vacuum diagram for the 1500s. Sure are a lot of vacuum lines on these things!

vacuum diagram gl1500
vacuum diagram gl1500

CWN

Post by CWN »

AH! Your mechanic messed up. I just replaced an air box on a friends 94 that the btm was warped on the right front side 3/8". You don't want to remove the box completely out, as dealing with the breather hose right front btm is a pain to get reinstalled. I had to remove the right fan to get to it and still a pain. Be sure you get btm box lips seated correctly into the carb grooves and if you have a K&N filter, their a pain to get the lip into the top box groove correctly.
Attachments

Last edited by CWN on Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CWN

Post by CWN »

Alan, is your bike this color (bremuda green) like my engine side covers ?
Attachments

Alan_Hepburn

Post by Alan_Hepburn »

Thanks guys - I've got to figure out how to lift the air box up about 1/4" so I can move that line. I'm convinced that I know who did the "good" work - I had taken the bike to a mechanic who was allegedly a Goldwing expert for an idle surge issue. He said he noticed that the sliders were sticking so he addressed that, then sync'ed the carbs and said that he could not completely eliminate the surging. The cruise control worked fine when I drove it to him for the work and did not work after. I ended up fixing the surge issue myself (with the help of a good friend) by replacing the engine coolant temp sensor on the right side intake.

I'm thinking that once I fix the vacuum line routing, and replace the filters I will be back on the road!

Alan_Hepburn

Post by Alan_Hepburn »

CWN wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:28 pm
Alan, is your bike this color (bremuda green) like my engine side covers ?
Yes it is!

CWN

Post by CWN »

10-4. Where was the picture taken, having grown up in Hayward/CV. My next project on friends 94 is the coolant temp sensor to cure his surging.
Attachments

Alan_Hepburn

Post by Alan_Hepburn »

That photo was taken in the parking lot at Uvas Reservoir, between San Jose and Morgan Hill.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

My 94SE is Pearl Bermuda Green also. I don't see that color very often.

1994 GL1500SE
1994 GL1500SE

Alan_Hepburn

Post by Alan_Hepburn »

The new filters came in today and are now in the bike. It looks like they had been replaced not long before I bought the bike 2+ years ago: the cruise filter was clean and soft; the sub filter was also clean - it was bright yellow in color and looked like it had never had any oil on it so I wonder if it was a type that did not need oiling? Anyway, they're both new now! I also got the cruise vacuum line rerouted so it is no longer crushed between the air filter box and the bolt on the bottom of that box - hopefully the crushed area will now allow vacuum to get to the valve - if not it will be easy to replace the crushed piece with a connector.

One thing I noticed while I was working on the vacuum line: the metal strap that has the bolts that hold the back end of the radio panel is not bolted to the frame where it should be - I don't recall taking out any bolts from that area while I was disassembling things so I think they are simply missing. What size bolts should be in there?

Now I'm trying to decide what else I want to do before I put it all back together - I've got a brake light modulator that needs to be installed, and I'll probably take the time to flush the brakes and clutch while everything is opened up.

CWN

Post by CWN »

Heat the hose up with a hair drier and round it with your fingers. The oem sub filter is a fine/thin gray material, so someone replaced it with a material that is more durable it sounds like...can you post a picture please. Your missing or misplaced the lower shelter studs that serve as the side cover post.
Attachments

CWN

Post by CWN »

The shelter end sits over these studs and held down by black acorn nuts, same thread as your gas pump lid studs.
Attachments

Last edited by CWN on Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan_Hepburn

Post by Alan_Hepburn »

Thanks CWN! Those studs aren't misplaced - they're right in the tray where I put them when I took them off! I figured it was something that simple! Here's a photo of the old sub filter:

CWN

Post by CWN »

I usually place mine in the fuel tray also but see my acorn nuts are missing in action.

Here's my KN filter with a corner torn down I found during servicing. Super glue came to the rescue.
Attachments