Headset engine noise?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
hondadude79
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Headset engine noise?

Post by hondadude79 »

Has anyone been having a problem with headset engine noise? I hear it in my new headset with engine running and no matter what I'm listing to
radio, tape, CB. I have a 1998 GL1500 SE. I checked to be sure all the noise filters are installed on the alternator, fuel pump and CB and they are there. I am thinking it could be the headset because I don't here it on the 4 speakers at all. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks!

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Re: Headset engine noise?

Post by Mountain rider »

Check the grounds. A bad ground loop will allow a buzz or other noise to filter in. I suffered the same problem on my 1800, but corrected it by cleaning the main ground and adding another ground wire from the battery negative terminal to the main ground lug. The buzz went away. What headset are you using?
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired

hondadude79

Post by hondadude79 »

Thank you for the advice I will check all the grounds I can find. But if it was a ground would you hear the noise in the speakers?
The set I have are made by Show Chrome cost about $100. I got them from Big Bike Parts.

Mountain rider
Motorcycle: 2003 Goldwing 1800

Post by Mountain rider »

I never had a problem through the speakers, always through the headsets. I believe it's something connected to the intercom system. I've never used the Show Chrome sets, mine have always been J&M. The old sets I had were the same brand, but different models, and the buzz was terrible. I installed new Honda line headsets (these are J&M built and Honda branded) in both helmets as well as redoing the grounds. Once that was done, all was good.
SFC, U.S. Army Artillery, Retired
Now, fully retired

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Post by tfdeputydawg »

I'd test a set of J&M head phones. Don't need to install them in a helmet just hold them upp to your ears. Or if you know someone with J&M, ask to try theirs.
The old saying is you usually get what you pay for. Just saying.................

hondadude79

Post by hondadude79 »

That's a good idea! Thanks!