Trouble with solenoids

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Bubs1982
Motorcycle: 1996 goldwing gl1500 se

Trouble with solenoids

Post by Bubs1982 »

Hey guys,

I can't seem to start my bike. First, when I started it from winter storage it worked fine. Went to get gas and it never started again. I jumped the A solenoid to start it and let it sit for 2 days waiting for a solenoid to come in the mail. Then I replaced the solenoid and it worked again. Today, it did the same thing. However, it messed up both times after using the reverse feature. It is a thing for the reverse to fry solenoids? Is there an electrical test I can do? I'm fairly certain it's related to using reverse. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1996 Goldwing SE

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: Trouble with solenoids

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

I think your problem is at the reverse lever switch shown below. Move the lever up and down several times and try to start the bike.
Attachments

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

I think Erdeniz is right. Since it happens after using reverse, try moving the reverse lever as he suggested and see if it will start. If so, then I would take the side cover off and spray some contact cleaner in the switch and then work the switch several times and maybe it will clean the contacts enough to work a few more years.

Bubs1982

Post by Bubs1982 »

Wouldn't the light stay on and the revserse work when you pull the lever again? Right now if I engage it, the reverse does nothing. That makes me think it's electrical.

Edit : I charged the battery all day and it started just fine by using a screwdriver. I tried to out it in reverse and noticed that the light didn't come on. The bike also didn't back up. I don't think it's that switch. I think it's the solenoid but why does it blow after light usage now when reverse worked perfectly before?

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Did you move that reverse lever back and forth a few times? When you say it doesn't start... does the neutral light come on when you have it in neutral?

Bubs1982

Post by Bubs1982 »

Neutral light has never worked since owning it. I moved the lever and pushed the start button both at the same time and independently. Nada. I have 2 new solenoids coming today. I'll let you know how my experiment goes

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

I don't use reverse as a park, but I've read some accounts of starting problems thought to stem from the practice?

Try pulling the clutch lever in all the way too.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Bubs1982

Post by Bubs1982 »

I would never do that.

Bubs1982

Post by Bubs1982 »

Put a new solenoid on (A right of the battery) and still won't start without bridging the connections with a screwdriver. Is there a multi meter test to see if the new solenoid is working?

Also, once started, the reverse worked fine and it drove well. Just no initial startup. Maybe the B solenoid is bad? I'm absolutely clueless now

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

The relay B is working or else it would not start when you bridge across the A relay terminals. Put a voltmeter or test light on the yellow/red wire going to relay A. You should have battery voltage there when the ignition switch is on and you push the starter button. You should have a ground on the brown/red wire at the same A relay. That ground comes from the neutral switch and goes through the reverse switch relay before getting there.
BTW, that reverse lever switch that was mentioned back near the top of this thread, will cause this condition. It has to work for that reverse switch relay to operate and let the ground get to the A relay.
Make those tests and come back with the results.

Bubs1982

Post by Bubs1982 »

So I tested it and I get nothing with the negative on red/brown and positive on red/yellow while pushing the start button. Then I grounded the neg out on the frame and got 5v when the start button was pressed. Is that what you were looking for?

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Bubs1982 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:58 pm
So I tested it and I get nothing with the negative on red/brown and positive on red/yellow while pushing the start button. Then I grounded the neg out on the frame and got 5v when the start button was pressed. Is that what you were looking for?
No. You should see battery voltage on the yellow/red with the start button pressed, ignition switch on and kill switch in run position. You should have your negative meter lead on battery negative post. If you don't get battery on that yellow/red wire going to the A relay, there is a problem.

Bubs1982

Post by Bubs1982 »

Well thats basically the same. I can put the neg on the neg battery terminal but i expect to still see the same 5v when the starter button is pressed. Anything else i should test?

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

If you are sure you are on the yellow/red wire going to the A relay, then we need to see where we are losing the battery voltage. Turn the ignition switch on. Now turn on the cruise control by pushing in the cruise on/off button. Does the cruise light on the dash come on?
Also try grounding that brown/red wire going in the A relay. Now try to start it and see what happens.

Bubs1982

Post by Bubs1982 »

the cruise light just go on and off. I will ground that red and brown wire in the morning and get back to you. Thanks

Bubs1982

Post by Bubs1982 »

We are onto something now. With the neg lead on the battery, the bike on and starter button engaged, my multimeter reads 11.23v on both the yellow/red and solid red wires. Also when I ground the red/brown and push the start button, the bike fires right up. It actually tried to start while it was in gear. That red/brn wire must be a neutral switch, right? So test the reverse switch next? Could that be why the neutral light has never worked in the 2 years I've had it?

I hope this is leading to something!

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Yes, you need to remove that side panel that is covering the reverse shaft coming out the side there by your left knee. After you have the tupperware off, you will see the reverse lever switch that Erdinez posted a picture of up near the top of this thread. That switch probably is the source of your trouble. When it is in the forward position, it provides the battery voltage to the neutral light and also to the reverse switch relay that has to operate to let the ground from the neutral switch get up to the A relay so it can operate. What you did when you put the ground on that brown/red wire is, you bypassed all the safety features and put the ground directly on the relay so it could operate when you pushed the start button.

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

When you get access to that reverse lever switch, you might be able to get it working again by spraying some contact cleaner in it and operating the lever a few times. It could be just some dirty contacts in it and that will get it working again.

Bubs1982

Post by Bubs1982 »

Awesome. I will just replace it. I'll let you know how it turns out
You guys are awesome