Read wheel assembly - is it supposed to be loose?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
digividsmith
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500SE

Read wheel assembly - is it supposed to be loose?

Post by digividsmith »

Gents,
I've got the rear wheel off my 93 GL1500SE to replace the tire, got it all cleaned up, but noticed the gear-side (black) jiggles around quite a bit. It may be an intentional thing, but I'd like to know for certain. Any ideas?

Steve

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: Read wheel assembly - is it supposed to be loose?

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

There are bushings that the rear flange sits into. Are you saying that whole assembly is loose - or flopping about ? Or has some movement in it ?

digividsmith

Post by digividsmith »

Not flapping - just loose. Again, it may be designed that way - https://drive.google.com/file/d/19ugBUQ ... sp=sharing

digividsmith

Post by digividsmith »

Sorry about the video sharing problem. It's open now.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE
2008 GL1800 with 2018 California Side Car Trike Conversion

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 »

I've only had mine apart once, and I replaced the rubber dampers in the wheel because one or two were cracked. My recollection is that there is virtually NO movement of that piece. The dampers fit tight, as do the pins that insert into the dampers. I'd say you need a new set of dampers & or sleeves.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... rear-wheel

There's a rubber piece (5 of them) part #2, and a metal piece that inserts into the rubber (5 of them) part #3.
The pins then slide into the metal sleeves. You need to check what exactly is worn. It appears to me that the metal sleeves are sloppy. But the rubbers could also be an issue. A side note, as I recall, you can buy the whole set of rubbers for a Valkyrie for around $33 instead of $15 each x 5, and I believe it has been determined they are the same as the GL1500 rubbers.

Here from Cyclemax:
https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... 744/147858

digividsmith

Post by digividsmith »

Thanks for the pointers everyone. This was just one of those "well, that was stupid" moments. It wasn't until I removed all the nuts that I realized the pins are not attached to anything inside the wheel other than being snug in the rubber bushings. From the exploded parts diagram, it only shows one of the metal spacers(#3) that go inside the bushings, so for those you replacing these parts, just be aware that there is a 1-to-1 correspondence with the bushing-to-metal spacers. And if you read the service manual (not me, of course), you are instructed not to remove the nuts from the pins (even though it's a bit hard to discern what was meant by "pin" from the description). Simply gently pry the geared portion (that I was rattling in the video) away from the rubber bushings. Live & learn.....

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

digividsmith wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:57 pm
Thanks for the pointers everyone. This was just one of those "well, that was stupid" moments. It wasn't until I removed all the nuts that I realized the pins are not attached to anything inside the wheel other than being snug in the rubber bushings. From the exploded parts diagram, it only shows one of the metal spacers(#3) that go inside the bushings, so for those you replacing these parts, just be aware that there is a 1-to-1 correspondence with the bushing-to-metal spacers. And if you read the service manual (not me, of course), you are instructed not to remove the nuts from the pins (even though it's a bit hard to discern what was meant by "pin" from the description). Simply gently pry the geared portion (that I was rattling in the video) away from the rubber bushings. Live & learn.....
Yup, or you could just read through the How to remove and replace your rear wheel article which shows it to you:

digividsmith

Post by digividsmith »

I ordered and installed new rubber bushings, and that did the trick! The holes holding the pin holders were very loose.

Thanks again everyone!

Steve