Cruise control speeding up on bumps

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Scaldedchevy
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 SE

Cruise control speeding up on bumps

Post by Scaldedchevy »

Hello,

I have an 88 GL1500. I am having an issue with the cruise increasing it’s speed incrementally on its own, when riding over bumpy roads. It’s impossible to avoid bumpy roads in Louisiana. Even our paved roads are awful. Is this just the nature of the technology in 1988, or is it something that I can fix?

Thanks
James

kane67
Motorcycle: Honda GL1500-88

Re: Cruise control speeding up on bumps

Post by kane67 »

Hi,

I have the same ;)
I believe there’s only one opto sensor in speedo (speed assy) for cruise.
So I quess when hitting a bump, front end ”jumps” up a bit so it makes speedo needle drop and system will react and correct by increasing speed. Anyways mine has little fluctuation 1-2 mph even when driving good nice roads.
Later models have second sensor in crankshaft? More accurate for keeping set speed.

Br, kane

Rodzim
Motorcycle: 1994 gl1500 se

Post by Rodzim »

I rode through shreveport last year and i swore never to take those roads again. It was utter insanity riding through a crater filled highway.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

It's an 88 so I wold say try and replace your speedometer cable. Not expensive and easy to do.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Scaldedchevy
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 SE

Post by Scaldedchevy »

Thank you gentlemen for the input. Yes, we have horrific roads in Louisiana. Unfortunately, roads in and around the Shreveport area are of much better quality than where I am located. I have been through there hundreds of times at work. The only thing out here with me is Bigfoot and gators. I am located about 45 minutes north of Lake Charles (2.5 hours northwest of Baton Rouge)

I was afraid that it was just the nature of the tech in ‘88. I was not sure if the cruise operated off of engine RPM, or some other method that allowed it to “skip” (if you will) like a phonograph record.

James from Southwest Louisiana