GRRR! Another hour spent tryng to align the drive shaft and u-Joint!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
digividsmith
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500SE

GRRR! Another hour spent tryng to align the drive shaft and u-Joint!

Post by digividsmith »

I see tons of guys saying that this can be a bear to do, and I certainly don't disagree. Has anyone come up with a sure-fire way to magically align the drive shaft splines with the U-joint receiver? I can see the U-joint is slightly pointing downward, and I suspect it needs to point straight towards the back for the driveshaft to mate. But by the time I get the gear housing in far enough to hit the U-joint, the gear casing needs to straighten out to match up with the bolts. I've even tried it the reverse way of putting in the driveshaft first, then the final drive. I can't get the axle to align even then. I have not taken the passenger floorboard off to look at the U-joint boot, but I'm starting to suspect that I will need to do just that.

digividsmith

Re: GRRR! Another hour spent tryng to align the drive shaft and u-Joint!

Post by digividsmith »

I just found the "Can't find the hole" on GoldWing Facts (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2- ... l1500.html). They offered a lot of good ideas, especially the one about bumping the starter while pressing forward on the pumpkin. I even tried that idea with just the driveshaft (starter doesn't turn it very fast). No luck with it tonight, but I'll try it again tomorrow.

Xciler8
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500 Aspencade
05 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
02 Suzuki DRZ 400S

Post by Xciler8 »

I've had to do this by myself a couple of times.

What worked for me was to NOT have the front part of the u-joint engaged into the output shaft splines of the transmission but just have the u-joint up AGAINST the output shaft. You can then put the driveshaft in and should be able to engage the splines of the rear of the u-joint with a little finagling. The driveshaft still won't be home free but it's close. That was the harder part. You can then feel the u-joint thru the rubber boot and lift it up and then get it to engage the output splines of the transmission which is pretty easy to do. Then you are able to push whole assembly home.

You shouldn't have to remove the passenger footboard to do this.

I have done it the way you are doing it but it took a second person to lift up the rear of the u-joint to get everything to engage.
Good luck...

digividsmith

Post by digividsmith »

I haven't pulled the U-joint free from the transmission, nor pulled back the rubber boot. Not sure how to do what you are suggesting without peeling the boot back....

Xciler8
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500 Aspencade
05 Suzuki 1200 Bandit
02 Suzuki DRZ 400S

Post by Xciler8 »

Actually pulling the front of the boot back isn't to much of a big deal.....it's the rear of the boot that's the PIA. I just remembered I had installed a new boot the last time I pulled my driveshaft.

If you don't want to pull the u-joint out then you will probably just need a second person to lift the rear of the u-joint for you. I had nobody around so I had to figure out how to do it myself. Actually was very easy how I explained it above.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

The sure-fire works first time and every time method I've decided I will now always use is to pull the boot back, push a screwdriver in to lift the back of the u-joint, then have my wife hold it there while I push the driveshaft into it from behind. :)

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Here is how I got mine back in. When I took mine out to lube the splines, I removed the lower shock bolts on both sides. This leaves the swingarm able to move up and down freely. When reinstalling the final drive, I raised up the swingarm and put a short piece of wood (1x4) across the mufflers and under the swingarm to hold it up in place. Then when I pushed the final drive in toward the u-joint, I put the flange gear back in the drive and turned it back and forth slightly and it slipped right in place. Took maybe 5 seconds to go in. I was surprised it went in so easily. My buddy who was there helping me tried it on his the next time he lubed his splines and had the exact same results.

SG_Jay
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by SG_Jay »

"then have my wife hold it there while I push the driveshaft into it from behind."

Hands down, the funniest statement ever on this forum!! Sorry guys, couldn't just let that one go by.

digividsmith

Post by digividsmith »

Thanks for all the help (and comedy) gents. I was finally able to pull it together with a combination of things. One was to have help. As one of the suggestions mentioned, I pulled back the boot, and slid the U-joint totally off the tranny. Doing that gave it a lot of freedom to have my wife move it around with a screwdriver until it lined up while I was messing with the pumpkin. Once connected to the driveshaft, it's real easy to line the U-Joint back up with the tranny output shaft.

Now to the next question. I have all gears mollyed up and slipped the wheel back on without an issue. However, I noticed that the plastic cover on the pumpkin does not cover the wheel flange (see pic)

. Not sure if it's supposed to though, as I lined up all the other parts in the open space (brake support, washer, spacer), and they all fit perfectly. Should the wheel flange fit under the plastic shield on the pumpkin?

Thanks for all the help!

Steve

SG_Jay
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by SG_Jay »

Here's a shot of mine, before removing the wheel.

digividsmith

Post by digividsmith »

Cool. Thanks. Not sure why I was under the impression that it was supposed to fit inside. Everything is back together now other than tupperware. Thanks everyone for your ideas and help. Now on to pulling carbs. This 1500 is a bit more intimidating than my previous 1100 and 1200s. Gotta deal with vacuum lines...

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

If you ever have to do it again, this is how I do it without help:

To get the U-joint to align with the drive shaft, slide a piece 1/8" thick by 1" wide steel flat stock, or similar material, into the swing arm and slide it under the U-Joint to prop it up.

Now slide the drive line only into the swing arm so it mates with the U-Joint. When it slides in the U-Joint, slide out the flat stock material that you used as a prop.

Now put the final drive on and put the bolts in the flange but do not tighten them. Follow the service manual's recommendation for final drive alignment with the swing arm. I believe the service manual says to mount the wheel and tighten the axle prior to tightening the final drive flange nuts on the studs.

I hope this works for you, it does for me. Good luck.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

Elmobile
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500SE

Post by Elmobile »

I did exactly as Mike described and it work just fine. In addition I open the u-joint boot on the engine side to align the spline end of the u-joint horizontal. I also carefully engage reverse so the output shaft would not turn when I wiggle the spline. That really help me.

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 honda goldwing aspencade GL1500

Post by 4given »

MikeB wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:09 am
If you ever have to do it again, this is how I do it without help:

To get the U-joint to align with the drive shaft, slide a piece 1/8" thick by 1" wide steel flat stock, or similar material, into the swing arm and slide it under the U-Joint to prop it up.

Now slide the drive line only into the swing arm so it mates with the U-Joint. When it slides in the U-Joint, slide out the flat stock material that you used as a prop.

Now put the final drive on and put the bolts in the flange but do not tighten them. Follow the service manual's recommendation for final drive alignment with the swing arm. I believe the service manual says to mount the wheel and tighten the axle prior to tightening the final drive flange nuts on the studs.

I hope this works for you, it does for me. Good luck.
The same can be done with the right size and length screwdriver. It has to be fairly long.