No HiBeam on my GL1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
dvoeltz
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500 Aspencade

No HiBeam on my GL1500

Post by dvoeltz »

Hello, I'm looking for some suggestions. I have two gl1500's and cant get the hi beam to work on one of them. I took the head light assembly out of the one cycle and tried in the other cycle. the headlight works just fine in the second GL1500. I then took a 12 V test light and checked the electrical connector. On both bikes, if the switch is set to low beam, the bottom left and top left connector have power. If I switch to hi beam, then the top left and top right connector have power. The bottom right connector apparently is ground.

So I am getting the same results on the electrical connectors on both bikes, yet neither head light works on hi beam on bike one but both work fine on bike 2. Any thoughts on what I should check next?
thanks much!
Dave in Pierre, SD

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: No HiBeam on my GL1500

Post by Charlie1Horse »

If you have power on the same connectors on both bikes and neither headlight works on one bike then the only thing it can be is a bad ground. Check the ground points on the frame and behind the fairing and you should find a bad connection on the green (ground) wire. It could possibly be a broken wire. If there has been any accessories added, check the wiring around that area first.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

dvoeltz

Post by dvoeltz »

As a quick test to see if the ground was an issue, I tapped into the heavy green ground wire that came out of the back of the connector and ran another ground wire to the frame. Still didn't make any difference. However, I noticed if I switched from low to high beam with the headlight assembly unplugged, the blue highbeam indicator illuminates on the dash. With the head light assembly plugged in, the indicator does not come on when I switch to high beam. So what is this telling me?
Thanks
Dave

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

It sounds to me like the high beam relay is going bad. Swap it out with another relay in the relay box and see what happens.

dvoeltz

Post by dvoeltz »

FIXED!! It was a bad relay. Luckily I had a couple spare i purchased last year and that took care of the problem. A little pain getting to the relays since I had to remove a saddle bags but all is well. Thanks for the help!!