New Suspension

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Wisemonkey
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SEY

New Suspension

Post by Wisemonkey »

The GL 1500 I purchased last year is now in as near to concourse condition as is able from a bike that has and is to be used. It is a 2002 with 25000 miles on only. I have fitted the top spec Hagon rear left shocker and Hagon progressive fork springs as well. The bike handles really well and it is surprising how you can swing her about two up without dragging the undercarriage. She is stable at high speeds on the straights and well able to be thrown about a bit on the twisties. I have a new set of Elite 4's(superb) on her refurbished alloys. Whilst the wheels were off I refurbed the swinging arm, rubbed down, cure rust applied and then several Hammerite coats painted on looks as good as new down there. Only aspect I feel in need to sort is fitment of a Fork Brace, only Superbrace seem to still do same and they are on back order due in stock next week or so. I still consider the bike needs this as swooping across clearly visible roundabouts on the S manouvre on transition I feel the front forks need a little support to stop the squirrelly sensation.

Also the gear shift pivot is awaiting fitment over next week or so.

WM

Wisemonkey

Re: New Suspension

Post by Wisemonkey »

For those that are interested Superbrace Fork Brace now back in stock for the GL 1500 . I ordered mine this morning after the company told me they were in stock today. Great USA service

Also a great British company Hagon supplied my rear shock for the GL 1500, IMHO the best bang for your buck to upgrade this machines suspenders, it is tailor made to you including Kit, pillion, luggage weight. Surprised nobody has shown interest as this addition seems to be the best value solution out there. I have had Wilburs and Nitron shocks on other bikes these top of the range Hagons are up there. You would be surprised who Hagon supplies their twin shocks too, that famous international company rebadges them and sells them on for a premium !

Maybe folks on here like spending a few hundred bucks more for their upgrade who knows ?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Wisemonkey wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:19 am
For those that are interested Superbrace Fork Brace now back in stock for the GL 1500 . I ordered mine this morning after the company told me they were in stock today. Great USA service

Also a great British company Hagon supplied my rear shock for the GL 1500, IMHO the best bang for your buck to upgrade this machines suspenders, it is tailor made to you including Kit, pillion, luggage weight. Surprised nobody has shown interest as this addition seems to be the best value solution out there. I have had Wilburs and Nitron shocks on other bikes these top of the range Hagons are up there. You would be surprised who Hagon supplies their twin shocks too, that famous international company rebadges them and sells them on for a premium !

Maybe folks on here like spending a few hundred bucks more for their upgrade who knows ?
I ordered a custom set of Hagon shocks for my wife's PC800, when I was lowering it. I gave them the weight of the bike, the rider's weight, swingarm stroke, etc. and they made up shocks with the correct spring and damping. They are fantastic shocks, and great people to work with.

Wisemonkey

Post by Wisemonkey »

Wingadmin, Agreed entirely, what with this hagon upgrade front and rear and the superbrace on its way this GL will be handling brilliantly !

Jetfighter3
Motorcycle: 1993 gl 1500A aspencade

Post by Jetfighter3 »

Just received my Superbrace for my 93 GL1500
after a long wait for production to complete. I will be installings it this week ,I have great hopes that it will make my ridea much better. GET THEM WHILE YOU CAN,who knows the next time they'll manufacturer them!