LCD issue

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
hornetgod13
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 Aspencade & 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

LCD issue

Post by hornetgod13 »

On my 1995 GL1500 the LCD screen is doing odd things. I hope someone here can help me out or perhaps had a similar issue and can help me fix it.

Everything works fine with the key on and engine running or in accessory position. When I turn the key off. The clock stays on and one or two arrows display on the LCD screen. The clock time freezes. I turn the key on and the arrows disappear but, the clock is still frozen and can't be adjust. If I turn the key off after about 5 minutes, the screen powers down. I can than turn the key back on and reset the clock but as soon as I turn it back off the clock time displays frozen and a left and or right arrow displays again for about 5 minutes before powering down.

I think the arrows are related to the cassette assembly but, no tape is in it and pressing all radio and/or cassette buttons have no effect.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: LCD issue

Post by WingAdmin »

That sounds to me like an issue with the LCD/clock driver circuit, which is the circuit board mounted to the back of the LCD panel. It might be something as simple as moisture, or it could be failing outright.

hornetgod13

Post by hornetgod13 »

I doubt its a moisture issue. It hasn't been washed or wet and months (Garage kept). I tried it again today and now the LCD is completely unresponsive. The radio still works but no display at all from the LCD in ACC or ON. Is there a fuse for the LCD or is it most likely dead? How hard is a LCD to swap? Can it be changed or is it the whole meter assembly?

hornetgod13

Post by hornetgod13 »

I checked again and now the LCD is working and does not malfunction when turned off. Clearly an intermittent issue.

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 honda goldwing aspencade GL1500

Post by 4given »

I had a similar problem and I'm with wing admin on this one. when I took it apart I found dark(hot) spots on the circuit board. I found a dash unit on eBay with a fried LCD panel but everything else was functional. The circuit board looked really good so I put 3 coats of clear coat on it and ordered a replacement LCD from Tannin electronics. Everything works like new now. And I followed the advice of the amazing members of this forum and replaced the dash lights with LEDs. My original LCD panel is still functional if anyone is interested. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have needed the LCD but I'm glad I replaced it because the Tannin replacement works flawlessly. My ride is a '96 Aspencade so the original LCD is 23 yrs old.

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

The display is on the tail/stop fused relay circuit.
Are you hearing the relay buzzing?
Do you have lots of added lights on the bike??
Look under your seat at the white connector (@14 pins), left side behind the frame cross member. Is there burnt pins?
Ran into this last week on a guys 99A. Had to jumper around the pins. 1 being the ground.

The added lights on this bike were added with the plug and play aftermarket harnesses that were available, plus the plug and play trailer harness. The problem is, too many incandescent bulbs added to the stock lighting circuit overloaded the wimpy ground wire in the bike harness. Change ALL your bulbs to LED to lessen the load on the bike harness. Or if you want incandescent bulbs, remove the plug and play harnesses and wire the added lights to a switched accessory relay on a totally separate circuit that you can switch off if needed to save battery drain in an alternator/battery failure.
Attachments

hornetgod13

Post by hornetgod13 »

Thanks for the detailed reply. The LCD hasn't malfunctioned for several days. I'm beginning to think the moisture theory might be the most likely as it had been raining and was cold. The was a lot of moisture in the air and the windshield and gauges were fogged up. It has been dry and no problem since. I will keep an eye on it and let you know if it happens again.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 »

Another possibility is the infamous relay #3. Mine caused all sorts of weird problems, including instruments staying live with the ignition off (intermittent), clock freezing (intermittent), only partial LCD information appearing (intermittent), ALL LCD information staying on (ignition off), intermittent, ignition not shutting off even with the key removed (intermittent), etc.

The first time I didn't know where to start. The next time (the night before a long 2-up journey with my wife & a horde of club members), someone here suggested I try rapping relay #3 with a screwdriver handle.

Yep - that fixed it instantly. No more symptoms. To be safe, I bought several replacement relays from WIngAdmin, and keep 'em with my Honda tools in my saddlebag. There! I just DARE that relay to act up again!!! :lol:

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 »

hornetgod13 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:07 pm
Thanks for the detailed reply. The LCD hasn't malfunctioned for several days. I'm beginning to think the moisture theory might be the most likely as it had been raining and was cold. The was a lot of moisture in the air and the windshield and gauges were fogged up. It has been dry and no problem since. I will keep an eye on it and let you know if it happens again.
Start with cleaning the main dash plug pins. (Back of the dash)
Pull the windshield off to access the dash, pull the full dash/speaker panel off, remove the speedo cable screw at the wheel to extend the dash away from the fairing to unscrew the speedo cable from the speedo, then pull the dash connectors apart to spray in elec contact cleaner, push together and apart several time, spray again and repeat to clean the oxidation off the pins.