Three challenges

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
samellring
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500SE Special Edition

Three challenges

Post by samellring »

Hello all,
I have attempted to search this site for my issues and possible resolution, however, I am either not searching properly to get the results I am seeking or just blind and it would have bit me like a snake if I looked harder. :lol:

My three issues are:

Issues #1: Front brake will not actuate the brake lights and I do have the old after market brake flashers. There are 4 wires under the handlebars and by the brake lever where two nodules protrude (for a better word) that the brake lever rests on when not engaged. When lever is engaged and braking occurs, the brake lights no-go blinky-blinky (yes, at one time they did - I check each brake during my T-CLOCS). The Brake lights to do go blinky-blinky when applying the rear brakes. I have checked the wires as well as have unplugged/plugged in for tight/snugness. I even removed the brake lever and for a time it would still do nothing when ignition is ON (motor NOT running). I played with the nodules by pressing them in and it seemed functional and not stiff or hard to press. Eventually, it would work on its own without the brake lever installed. When I pressed the nodules it would stop, release the pressure, it would do its blinky-blinky and then stop with brake lights still bright. A friend stated that it might be the module that the wires connect may be bad. IF this is the case, where would I find such item?

Issue #2: CB Radio will only allow me transmit once and that is the first time I press the transmit button/lever. I can receive everyone else's transmissions just fine. Is it possible that the button/lever needs cleaning or is there more to it?

Issue #3: Recently during my T-CLOCS, my emergency flashers will semi-work, meaning that it takes around 15-seconds for the left side to start flashing. At one time the right side would follow suit after another 10-15 seconds, now it will not come on at all. Yes, the lights work when checking each turn signal. IF I leave the emergency/hazard button still engaged, turn off the ignition and then back on, both lights work. Again, is this just another cleaning the button's contacts or is there more to this?

I have a friend coming over tomorrow for a bit to assist as I am no mechanic, but will do the work as instructed.

All responses are welcomed and appreciated!

Sincerely,
Scott Mellring

"Everyone has the power to impact the outcome of his life. The way to do it is to focus on today...Today is the only time you have. It's too late for yesterday. And you can't depend on tomorrow." ~ John C. Maxwell

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Re: Three challenges

Post by Happytrails »

samellring wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:38 pm
Issue #2: CB Radio will only allow me transmit once and that is the first time I press the transmit button/lever. I can receive everyone else's transmissions just fine. Is it possible that the button/lever needs cleaning or is there more to it?
Could be a little gummed up. I've had some luck spraying CRC electronic contact cleaner in my switches. If that doesn't work then you might want to think about taking it apart and cleaning it proper. I've seen other switches taken apart but not the cb transmit.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Here's the fix for issue #1.

The two buttons are actuators for two switches, one for the brake lights, the other for cruise control cancel. You might be able to get them working by spraying some contact cleaned thru the buttons, but a better fix is just to replace them.

CycleMax sells them, only $10.00

https://www.cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/fr ... /129/60684
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

samellring

Post by samellring »

Thank you DenverWinger and happytrails for taking time to respond.

@happytrails - tried yesterday with the CRC electrical and sprayed for several seconds several times (3), played with the button/switch, same results. I guess I will try searching for the "How to" on taking apart and cleaning.

@DenverWinger - thank you for the link! Are these OEM parts or after market? Only asking as to how long they will last and whether I should purchase 2.
Sincerely,
Scott Mellring

"Everyone has the power to impact the outcome of his life. The way to do it is to focus on today...Today is the only time you have. It's too late for yesterday. And you can't depend on tomorrow." ~ John C. Maxwell

DenverWinger
Past rides

Post by DenverWinger »

samellring wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:14 am
Are these OEM parts or after market? Only asking as to how long they will last and whether I should purchase 2.
Hard to say... CycleMax is pretty reputable, I'd expect their part to last as long as the original....

~Mark

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

samellring wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:14 am
@happytrails - tried yesterday with the CRC electrical and sprayed for several seconds several times (3), played with the button/switch, same results. I guess I will try searching for the "How to" on taking apart and cleaning.
Maybe give it another try today. If its gummed up whatever is preventing an electric contact is stuck on the surface. It could loosen up and could progressively start to work. Thats what happened with my switches. They went from not working to working intermittently to working all the time. Its worth trying up until your wanting to take those switches apart.

Have purchased a lot of things from Cyclemax.... they are a very good seller.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

I think those switches are genuine Honda parts. I know that is the Honda part #. As stated above, Cyclemax is a great place to get your motorcycle parts. Great customer service and good folks to do business with.

89 1500
Motorcycle: 89, 1500 candy wineberry gone to another owner
92 Aspencade Cambridge blue

Post by 89 1500 »

I'd bought a complete grommet kit from cyclemax. They were all in factory bags work perfect and just as cheap as the ill fitting aftermarket ones. I've got one of those switches coming. Noticed last week that I had no brake light with the hand control. I did get it cleaned up and working good but no sense in pushing it when I can fix it right for $10. Last on my to do this season pull the radio take it apart clean every contact inspect and reflow the boards where needed then adjust the pot on the how to video for more punch.

samellring

Post by samellring »

Here's update to my situation.
My friend and fellow GW rider came over to assist and we took the controls apart for all three of these items and cleaned all of them up. Two of the three issues have been resolved.

Unfortunately, the CB is still having an issue. We are able to get it to transmit on channels 8, 9, and 10. Occasionally, channel would transmit and were able to for a short period get it to work with a 1-second delay, however, after a while it went back to the occasional transmit. With the transmit button all taken apart, we tested the wires with a volt meter and could see it was receiving the proper voltage. My friend is thinking that crystals are bad or blown?

We have a local business that I was going to contact and discuss with, however, IF someone knows more on this topic and can either elaborate or direct me to the place to read about it, would be appreciated!

Thank you all that have responded, it is greatly and sincerely appreciated. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome.
Sincerely,
Scott Mellring

DenverWinger
Past rides

Post by DenverWinger »

If it turns out the CB needs to go in for repair these guys (Sierra Electronics) know the 1500 AM/FM and CB inside and out! Highly rated and fast turn-around.

http://www.sierra-mc.com

~Mark

samellring

Post by samellring »

Thank you DenverWinger for the link and recommendation. Will contact them as well.

Also, checked out Cyclemax and found some things I needed as well as items I had been looking for an other vendors no longer carried. I could get addicted to that site. :lol:
Sincerely,
Scott Mellring

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

samellring wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:20 pm
Thank you DenverWinger for the link and recommendation. Will contact them as well.

Also, checked out Cyclemax and found some things I needed as well as items I had been looking for an other vendors no longer carried. I could get addicted to that site. :lol:
I know the feeling. I sometimes go there looking for something and then start browsing their site and usually find something else I just have to have. :lol:

89 1500

Post by 89 1500 »

Well after reading this post I fixed my brake light problem and ordered a switch. Got the 4 way flashers working that switch was real dirty, and maybe the radio mute issue. While I was spraying CRC everywhere I attacked the mute switch. It always felt funny to me. I sprayed and worked it for almost an hour before I gave up and decided the radio needed to come out to fix. welll the wheels started turning and I went out to look other things over. Turn the key and no more mute state, Hmmmm could it be? I'll find out soon. We are heading out to kick off Motorcycle Awareness Month with the Do You See Me Now run. Hopefully it works for the day if not no big deal I still have to pull the radio to tweak the output.

samellring

Post by samellring »

@89 1500 - I hope all goes well with the event and hopefully, you not muted on the CB! :D
Sincerely,
Scott Mellring

89 1500

Post by 89 1500 »

samellring wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:30 pm
@89 1500 - I hope all goes well with the event and hopefully, you not muted on the CB! :D
Thanks the ride went great a little over 400 showed to support motorcycle awareness. The line was alittle over 5 miles long. C.B. Works fine thankfully never lost com's. Radio has to come out. Was in and out of mute the whole ride. I should have known my luck better than that. My 89 was the same way cleaned every connection, reseated pins and reflowed the board that the harness plugged in. Found that my gas cap is getting a little dirty. Was making a noise in the garage released the pressure and poof gone. Getting the old girl worked out though. This was the first real shakedown run since I picked it up.

DenverWinger
Past rides

Post by DenverWinger »

You sure it wasn't CB radio muting the AM/FM? When something breaks squelch radio goes mute, sound replaced by CB. My stereo was cutting in/out, thought it was that stubborn mute button again, looked down and saw the CB turned on but volume down! Problem solved.

~Mark

89 1500

Post by 89 1500 »

DenverWinger wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:27 pm
You sure it wasn't CB radio muting the AM/FM? When something breaks squelch radio goes mute, sound replaced by CB. My stereo was cutting in/out, thought it was that stubborn mute button again, looked down and saw the CB turned on but volume down! Problem solved.
Positive, does it with the C.B. on or off and it's usually off unless I'm with a group or out on the highway.

samellring

Post by samellring »

Well, I contacted a local company about repairing my CB or at least looking at it and he is not taking any more as he is back logged in repairs.
Next question is, are there any DIY to removing the CB from my bike to send to Sierra Electronics? Already checked in the "How-To" articles and only found for the radio. OR is it in the User Manual/Maintenance book? Not home to check at this moment.
Sincerely,
Scott Mellring

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

samellring wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:28 am
Well, I contacted a local company about repairing my CB or at least looking at it and he is not taking any more as he is back logged in repairs.
Next question is, are there any DIY to removing the CB from my bike to send to Sierra Electronics? Already checked in the "How-To" articles and only found for the radio. OR is it in the User Manual/Maintenance book? Not home to check at this moment.
If you follow steps 1-43 (sorry, it's a nightmare to get to) from here, you'll see what it takes to remove the CB:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11036

That removes the left inner fairing, which has the CB fastened to it. Once the fairing is removed, the CB can be unscrewed from the back of it.

Doing this procedure gets you 80% of the way to replacing your cruise and sub filters, so while you have all that plastic off, you might as well take care of that maintenance task at the same time.

samellring

Post by samellring »

Cool, thank you for the rapid reply and additional tips on the filters!
Hopefully, the local dealer has those filters as I would like to get this completed before the weekend. I like to ride when I teach MSF training courses. :)
Sincerely,
Scott Mellring

samellring

Re: Three challenges - Update

Post by samellring »

Wanted to give a status update:
Shipped my CB on last Wednesday using two-day shipping to Sierra Electronics and received a call this morning that it has been repaired and ready to be shipped back! :o
He (Jeff) stated that it was the capacitor (sp?), a normal item that goes out over time. Jeff stated that all the other tests they do showed the CB in good working order.

Very impressed indeed! As soon as I get everything installed and back in it's proper place, I will be writing a good review to them on their webpage.

Again, thank you all that replied with all the good tips and suggestions.

Very much appreciated!
Sincerely,
Scott Mellring

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Sierra never fails, they know their stuff.