Front Wheel bearings

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
tsandvik
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Front Wheel bearings

Post by tsandvik »

Just installed new front wheel bearings as part of overall rebuilding of 1990 Aspencade. However like a total idiot once done I look down and see the spacer collar that is in between the bearings.
Question is, if I take out the one bearing to put in the spacer, will this pretty much trash the bearing necessitating putting in a new one? What happens if the spacer is not put into the hub? Going to put it in but am just curious.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Front Wheel bearings

Post by WingAdmin »

tsandvik wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:16 am
Just installed new front wheel bearings as part of overall rebuilding of 1990 Aspencade. However like a total idiot once done I look down and see the spacer collar that is in between the bearings.
Question is, if I take out the one bearing to put in the spacer, will this pretty much trash the bearing necessitating putting in a new one? What happens if the spacer is not put into the hub? Going to put it in but am just curious.
You will need a new bearing. You will apply a lot of force to the inner race to remove it, which will wreck the bearing.

Without that inner spacer, when you torque the axle nut down, a massive amount of pressure will be pushed in against the inner races of both bearings, they will bind up, and the wheel won't turn - or if it does, it will quickly destroy the bearings.

tsandvik
Motorcycle: 1990 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Front Wheel bearings

Post by tsandvik »

Ya, figured the same on both items. Reminder to self....have all parts that came out in one place and make sure nothing is going to be left over when done. Dang. Ordered a new bearing last night.