Of Floorboards and Linked Brakes

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
StrongEagle
Motorcycle: 1998 pearl beige Goldwing SE (current)
1998 jade and black Valkyrie Tourer (Singapore)
2000 blue and silver Valkyrie Interstate (Houston)
1998 maroon and creme Valkyrie Tourer (killed in a wreck)

Of Floorboards and Linked Brakes

Post by StrongEagle »

So... immensely enjoying my new (to me) Wing. I've noticed a couple of things.

This bike came with rider floorboards (see image, below). I find myself scraping them quite regularly. Does anyone know what the lean angle is before they start scraping? Seems like it is a lot less than with pegs.

Prior to this Wing, I put about a 100,000 miles on three different Valkyries. All had footpegs, and as you probably know, the brakes are not linked... the right front handbrake controls both front calipers, while the pedal handles the single rear caliper.

As a rider, I'm finding two things I don't like as much about the linked brakes and floorboard combination. First, I learned to use the front brake. In fact, unless it was/is wet out, the front brake is my go to brake, with the application of rear brake next. Obviously, I'm not talking about stopping on slick surfaces where the rear brake is applied. But for situations like rush hour traffic, stop and start, tapping the front brake is the way to go.

With only a single caliper controlled by the right brake handle on the Wing, the front wheel braking power is definitely less than the Valk when using the handbrake, making it necessary to apply the back brake first, or at least in conjunction with the front brake, when quicker stops are required.

But, here's the rub. On the Valkyrie, the rear brake pedal can be reached with virtually no foot movement because the pedal is at roughly the same height as the peg (just slightly higher, actually), making it necessary to only move your foot over the top of the pedal. See the image below. The red arrows point to the peg and pedal.

With the Wing, I have to lift my foot off the floorboards and onto the brake heel support (red arrows) in order to press down on the pedal. This creates an extra bit of reaction time to lift my foot to apply the brake, and I find myself keeping my right foot on the brake heel support in heavy traffic in order to be more responsive on the brake.

It's almost enough to make me consider putting pegs on for in town use. As you can see from the yellow arrow, it looks like the peg position would be nearly identical to that of the Valke, and were I to do so, I'd have pretty much the same setup as I had on the Valk.

How are other people dealing with braking and floorboards in heavy traffic situations? Houston truly sucks... heavy traffic everywhere... even if you're planning on getting out of town, it's still a 45 minute drive to anything that resembles rural

TIA

StrongEagle

Re: Of Floorboards and Linked Brakes

Post by StrongEagle »

OK - I found an image of a Wing... looks like a 98, same color as mine... with pegs in place of floorboards. Looks like a better setup for braking while dealing with in town traffic.

Perhaps this is what I need to do. Comments appreciated.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

The issues you are facing with your floorboards is one of the many reasons I still use the OEM pegs.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

Yes that setup doesn't seem very ergonomic :roll: The other side with the shifter and floorboards isn't exactly good either.
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

Floorboards sell fast on ebay.

StrongEagle

Post by StrongEagle »

Happytrails wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:11 am
Yes that setup doesn't seem very ergonomic :roll: The other side with the shifter and floorboards isn't exactly good either.
True - although a Kury heel/toe shifter seems to pretty much solve the problem on that side. Do have to lift the foot from floorboard to shifter, though.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

THOSE fbs on your Wing are "Add-On Lowboys" … they do slightly reduce cornering but they tilt to prevent lifting the weight off tires. I removed FBs from my '85 2 wheeler for this reason, but I added FBs to my '97 trike because it doesn't lean, my left knee liked them. Stock, you wouldn't need a heel rest, but the LB FBs do lower the foot, so a heel rest is provided to set the heel on to aid you in modulating rear brake pedal (which by the way, also supplies roughly half of front brake force).

Using only a front brake lever as your "go to" brake on a heavy Gold Wing with linked brakes is not a great idea. Better to develop the habit of using both front lever and rear pedal. Even on a two wheeled OEM Wing or Valk.

I liked the heel rest so well on my trike, hated H&T shifter though, so mods were in order. Now I have sturdy heel rests on both sides, and use with toe shift as well as rear brake pedal. They also give me another place to rest feet just for change. My left knee thanks me. If it weren't a trike, I never would have added the FBs.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Here's a rider with the opposite problem. A trade may be in order.

https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/3 ... l1500.html
2018 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

First thing I did when I got my GL1500 was to take the floorboards off and put a set of OEM pegs back on.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

WingAdmin wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 9:42 am
First thing I did when I got my GL1500 was to take the floorboards off and put a set of OEM pegs back on.
Same here. Those floorboards were dragging in even a modest turn. Also as stated, using the rear brake seemed dangerous with having to move your foot off the floorboard and raise it up to get it on the brake. I like the original setup much better.

curtm
Motorcycle: 91 GL 1500 Aspencade Anniversary Canadian Edition

Post by curtm »

the idea of lifting you're foot of the board and on to the heel support iam sure was going with the premise that these bikes are for highway cruising and not spending a lot of time braking, Which makes it very comfortable for cruising, but is a pain city driving, Were the mods a product of Markam, which seemed popular for these bikes or stock, i kinda thought this was a Honda idea ???
these bike take a bit of getting used to, i struggled a lot when i bought it, i came off a 1300 Vtx