Fuel Pump

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
JPochron
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade

Fuel Pump

Post by JPochron » Tue May 28, 2019 9:15 pm

I'm having problems with the fuel pump on my 1992 Aspencade. It wouldn't start about a month mechanic came out did some trouble shooting and discovered the pump wasn't pumping. He pulled the gas pump did something to it and it worked. In the mean time I was tearing all the plastic off to have it painted. It started fine everytime I needed to start it and I'm about done putting all the plastic back on started it a few times and now it won't start again. I pulled the fuel line and hit the start button to see if it would and nothing. I figure no sense messing with this pump any longer as I've been googling the fuel pump and learned there have been issues with this year model pump. I've read quite a few of the threads in regards to replacing it with an aftermarket more specifically the NAPA pump but it seems it's no longer available and has been replaced by the Carter fuel pump but it has poor reviews. Does anyone have any suggestions for which aftermarket pump I should use since the NAPA is no longer available.

Thanks

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: Fuel Pump

Post by Charlie1Horse » Tue May 28, 2019 10:08 pm

First off, are you sure that you have power and ground to the pump? It doesn't matter what pump you are using if you have no power to run it. I had a similar problem with my 92 and found that many years of vibration at the handlebar had caused the connections under the kill switch to become loose and when they vibrated enough they had a bad connection and then my fuel pump would not run, tighten the screws on this switch and all was well. It has 122,000 miles on the original pump, still works fine.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:43 pm

pull the seat off, monitor the voltage to the fuel pump at Black wire +12V

turn on the key ( some year models will run the pump for 2 seconds )
press the starter button, it should have voltage for 2-3 seconds to prime the carbs.

Normally the engine fires off, and the ECM will continue to provide +12V to the pump.

Refer to this thread by Dave Bhorer who explains in detail what is going on.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5- ... ost5840391
~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:49 pm

JPochron wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:15 pm
I've read quite a few of the threads in regards to replacing it with an aftermarket more specifically the NAPA pump but it seems it's no longer available and has been replaced by the Carter fuel pump but it has poor reviews. Does anyone have any suggestions for which aftermarket pump I should use since the NAPA is no longer available.

Thanks
The NAPA pump has always been manufactured by Carter, there is nothing wrong with that pump. some folks have ignored a few minor items that caused it to fail, me for one.

If you block the flow on the pump, the rotor will freeze solid in a matter of seconds.
it must have a 90 degree fitting to prevent the fuel line from crimping, which will stop fuel flow, ruining the pump.
~John
What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

JPochron

Post by JPochron » Wed May 29, 2019 1:40 am

Firstly I replaced the Start/Rev switch assembly because it wasn't catching all the time. It kept skipping also reverse wasn't working well either. The new switch assembly corrected those issues. Secondly I put my voltmeter on it and it read 12.6V before pressing the start button then dropped to 10.5V. When I initially encountered this issue I had my mechanic come over and he ran a diagnostics ruling out different issues. Once he determined the fuel pump was the problem he pulled it got it working and put it back in. I plan on purchasing a replacement pump and start from there but I'll also alert him to all the recommendations ya'll have provided so hopefully nothing is missed and the problem is solved. In reference to the Carter replacement pump there was actually only 1 review that I saw and the author claimed it to be junk. But since there's a wealth of information on this forum I felt I could get better info from here. I bought this trike for $3600.00 not knowing all the issues it had. It had an oil leak(Alternator gasket), several pieces of plastic tabs broken which all were replaced that were needed, paint job, new updated sound system, no rear brakes(had to be bled), and some minor things here and there. When it's finished I'll have around $7500.00 maybe a little more. I had an 89' Aspencade that I bought sight unseen (huge mistake) for $8900.00 which wasn't taken care of had a lot of rust paint faded but it ran good even though it had 110,000 miles on it. the 95' has 58,000. I like the trike get on the 95' better than the 89' the paint job cost $1750.00 which isn't bad but I did all the taking apart and putting back together. The 89' has a really good exhaust sound. After doing everything to the 95' I think I might have just been better off painting the 89'. The 89' trike is for sale by the way

JPochron

Post by JPochron » Wed May 29, 2019 2:35 am

The Carter #P72190 I guess is the replacement for the NAPA #P72190 fuel pump. The Carter fuel pump is available on eBay from $18.00 up to $60.00 that's a huge variance in price. So I need to purchase the Carter fuel pump with a 90 degree fitting, a new 5/16 fuel line, new inline fuel filter and I should be good to go. If there are any other recommendations please let me know. Thanks for all the responses.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:10 am

Get the Carter strainer for the fuel pump also, , , works fine.
IIRC, a short section of hose comes out of the pump, then a 90 degree brass elbow (with hose clamp), then the remaining section of hose (hose clamp again) goes up to the flange (hose clamp).

JPochron

Post by JPochron » Wed May 29, 2019 11:12 am

thank you for your help

AZgl1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:13 pm

the two pumps that I got from NAPA just had the outlet nipple for the hose to slip over.

I had to buy new gas line and a brass 90° fitting for the hose pieces to slip onto.
sorry, my pix were on PhotoBucket and I lost all of them.
~John
What is the Forum Index?

Download it here:

JPochron

Post by JPochron » Wed May 29, 2019 7:48 pm

Thanks I bought the pump, strainer, 90 degree fitting, and 1 foot length of submersible fuel line. Hopefully this will correct the problem. It's almost back together things definitely don't go back together as easily as they came off. Having a hard time getting the bottom cowl back on. I know there should be a bracket coming off the frame like on the left side but it's not there. The only thing I can see where to screw the right side of the cowl in is a bracket hanging off the engine guard. I'd have to put a slip on nut on the bracket.

Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Interstate

1978 CB750 Supersport

Post by 754 » Fri May 31, 2019 2:17 pm

I'll chime in here too. Maybe it was bad luck, maybe bad parts but I have had issues with Carter fuel pumps. They seem to never last long for me, don't really know why. I installed each one as it should have been for our applications and then they would fail all at different times. Now I don't pull wrenches for a living anymore but I still do maintain all my own vehicles and I have seen a decrease in the quality of replacement parts especially electrical parts. The pump that is in my bike now is made by Airtex (don't have the part number in front of me) has been working great. So that is an option as well. Just remember that brass 90 degree fitting is very important. I will also add that I recently seen some aftermarket fuel pumps that are direct replacements for the original. Hope this helps.

Travis
1992 Goldwing Gl1500 Interstate

1978 CB750 Supersport

JPochron

Post by JPochron » Fri May 31, 2019 3:22 pm

Travis thanks for your input. I paid $18.00 for a new Carter pump on Ebay and I also purchased the hose the elbow and the screen. Hard to say which way to go there are so many aftermarket pumps it's hard to decide which is the best. I will look at the airtex as you recommended. It's sure a great deal cheaper than the $300.00 for an OEM. I'm hoping it's the pump and not the ECU the pump went out once but my mechanic got it working and like I mentioned earlier I don't want to have to keep putting band aids on it. It's all back together just a few more minor things to do plus replace the pump then I can get it on the road. I've been working on it for 6 months now.
Attachments

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:58 pm

The "KEY" to finding the right fuel pump for these older 1500's is getting one that is "closest" to the OEM flow-rate, AND pressure rating. NOT ALL FUEL PUMPS ARE CREATED EQUAL.

IIRC, the stock fuel pump is rated at 2-4 psi and 20-24 oz/minute flow rate. With this in mind, MANY of the aftermarket fuel pumps can be weeded out immediately.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 » Fri May 31, 2019 5:45 pm

The key is to find a special application horizontal designed pump not one intended to be mounted vertical in a car tank. :ugeek:

Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do