Not starting after Winter lay-off.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
capt_biggles
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Aspencade

Not starting after Winter lay-off.

Post by capt_biggles » Fri May 31, 2019 1:40 pm

Greetings, all.
I have owned my 1988 GL1500 Aspencade for a year and a half and am very happy with the bike. I last used it in October, and it has been stored since then for health reasons. When I tried to start it again in Spring, I could hear a solenoid click but nothing from the starter motor (and the horn just croaked), so assumed the battery had died. I have fitted a new battery but the problem persists. By bypassing the starter solenoid on the right of the battery it starts and runs well (including the horn), so fitted a new starter solenoid. Still nothing. The click is coming from the solenoid on the left of the battery, but nothing from the one on the right. The wiring and fuses all seem to be sound (fuses all checked and good), so am at a loss for now. I have a Haynes manual, but to be frank, the circuit diagrams are all a bit (a lot!) beyond me, so I got a more electrical-savvy friend to come over and have a look. He can't suggest anything either. There seems to be three wires to the starter button: blue/white (switched live, 12V), Yellow/red (continuity to the plug on the starter solenoid) and a brown wire (no idea, as the Haynes manual doesn't seem to show the switch gear). Any ideas anyone?
Thanks,
Biggles

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Re: Not starting after Winter lay-off.

Post by bluthundr31 » Fri May 31, 2019 11:08 pm

Do you have access to a handheld multi-meter (voltmeter?) to troubleshoot the issue??

Is the battery in a full charge condition? What's its voltage with no load? With a load?

There is a very decent troubleshooting guide for "no start" conditions with the 1500's, , , check it out
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10 ... -tips.html

Check the DIY section on this site for additional help with diagnosing a 'no start" issue, , , there's a ton of great info there for sure.

capt_biggles

Post by capt_biggles » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:59 am

Thanks for that. I will look into the link, and pass it on to my electrical-minded friend too.

Biggles

capt_biggles

Post by capt_biggles » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:37 am

OK. Quick question next. Where are all the electrical components hidden on the bike? Seat and side panels off no problem, but that just gives me the battery, starter solenoids (either side of battery), and the fuse box on the other side. I have already checked these, but need to find the rest so I can check them out, mainly the reverse control systems, but my Haynes manual (and owner's book) are useless.

Thanks.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:19 pm

capt_biggles wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:37 am
OK. Quick question next. Where are all the electrical components hidden on the bike?
Relay box is to the rear of the fuse box. Move saddlebag for access. Other bits and bobs are scattered all over the bike. Under the seat, under the trunk, etc. The Honda service manual is really worth it for these bikes.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Post by virgilmobile » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:11 pm

Bike in neutral,operate the reverse lever a few times..push the start button.