Momentary lapse of reason...

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I

Momentary lapse of reason...

Post by bigsteveswing » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:18 am

I am doing tires and the other day I thought, I should just order brake pads too. So I jumped on Amazon (regrettably), found this set of pads for $16, not a bad deal in my mind.
Fast forward and they come in the mail, to my surprise I had ordered 3 "sets", so now I have 18 pads. :oops: That's not the real issue though, that means each $16 set was all 3 rotors, yikes thats too cheap to be any good. I returned them and will order pads from Cyclemax like I should have to start.
Funniest thing about this though is the pad package itself... :lol: I don't know what these would have done, not stopped at all, shredded my rotors, who knows. I decided that well over 1000# of bike and sidecar wasn't something I was willing to experiment with.
Attachments

BARKE PADS!
BARKE PADS!

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Re: Momentary lapse of reason...

Post by Big Blue UK » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:31 am

Thanks for posting the pic, never seen barke pads before. Perhaps the plate is carbon and Kevlar, and the lining is wood, at least they wood not wear your rotors.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:44 am

I've tried a bunch of different aftermarket pads, and I always go back to the Honda OEMs. They work best, create the least amount of dust, and last longest.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:09 am

I agree. The previous owner of my bike had just installed a set of aftermarket "high performance" pads on the rear brake the day before selling me the bike. I noticed that it took a LOT of pressure to get decent braking, but it was great once the rear brake finally got nice and hot.

<<<Fast forward a few months>>>.

I started to notice a grinding sound from the rear end of the bike, but only at near-zero speeds. I figured I'd picked up some dust, and it would clear itself soon enough, as it often does on the other vehicles I've owned. As the days went by, though, it got worse - much worse, to the point that passersby would stop & stare as I crept by. Of course, at the time I was on a week-long group ride, through areas where there were no shops that would carry anything at all to fit a 'Wing.

As soon as I got home, I pulled the rear end apart and had a look. The rotor was starting to get some serious scoring and grooving. I pulled the pads and, among the various bits of paperwork etc. that came with the bike, I found the receipt & information on the pads. They were a very high metal-content sintered pad for racing applications where, presumably, the rotors are considered "consumables".

Thankfully, I caught it in time to save the rotor!

I tossed the pads and tried to find OEM Honda pads locally, with absolutely no success. The local Honda dealer wasn't interested in bringing any GL1500 pads, and had none in stock. I was finally able to find a set of pads that were OEM-equivalent, or perhaps even a bit softer. Once installed, braking was dramatically improved, and the noise was gone.

A few years later, and no new scoring. Braking remains strong & controllable, and there's almost no detectable wear on the pads.

The moral of the story?

As WingAdmin says, stick to OEM pads or as close as you can find. Those GL1500 rotors are getting harder to find, and are breathtakingly expensive. IMHO, it's the pads that should be considered "consumables", NOT the rotors.

Don't take chances on "experimenting" with pads - you may well be sorry.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:00 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:44 am
I've tried a bunch of different aftermarket pads, and I always go back to the Honda OEMs. They work best, create the least amount of dust, and last longest.
X2 on this, have a few nearly new aftermarket ones that I wasted good $$$ on looking for a deal. :oops:

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:21 pm

bigsteveswing wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:18 am
...Funniest thing about this though is the pad package itself... :lol: I don't know what these would have done, not stopped at all, shredded my rotors, who knows. I decided that well over 1000# of bike and sidecar wasn't something I was willing to experiment with.
Too bad about sending them back. I've have about 12,000 on a set of those same pads. I thought along the same lines you did when I saw the "BARKE" on the package. I installed them anyway and the only complaint I have is I had to file the edge of the brake material on one of the front pads because it was bonded right to the edge of the backing plate and making a strange noise at slow speeds. After filing it the noise is gone. The braking on the Wing feels good and there is very low dust and no visible adverse wear on any of the rotors. But then again, I only have 12,000 miles on them so far.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

T_birdman
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gave to a friend)
1981 GL1100I (Blew up engine @ 231K Mi./ My fault)
1985 GL1200A (Burned)
1999 GL1500A (Burned)
1993 GL1500A (Red Recently in Accident))

Post by T_birdman » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:03 am

WOOF!! :lol:
It's a Dogs life!