This is the most difficult bike I have ever worked on.

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
jbaviera
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500A Aspencade
2009 Yamaha VStar 950 Tourer (traded for the GW)
1985 Honda VF500C (sold)

Re: This is the most difficult bike I have ever worked on.

Post by jbaviera » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:02 pm

Garyd wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:21 pm
Not sure where to post this so I flipped a coin. :lol: Last month I picked up a 2000 se with side car. I rode for a week or so just to get a feel for the bike and to see if there are any major things raises its ugly head. runs smooth, has the typical idle surge, 750 - 1k till warmed up, late engagement of the cruise control The bike only has 12k on the clock. I decided to go ahead and flush the cooling system, change the oil, and all 3 filters. When I finally got to the air box I discovered a very clean K&N. The cruise and sub filters fell apart as soon as I touched them. (on order from cyclemax). I've change the plugs ( still looked new). To do the right bank I had to remove one of the sidecar brackets,,,,,and I don't really want to do that again :shock: . Is there anything else behind the right side lower fairing that I should take care of now before I put that side back together? Hats off to all the have posted some great DIY articles w/pics and very detailed discussions.

Ride safe
Garyd
Sorry for the late post, but behind the right shelter (if memory serves), is the sub air filter (https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... 8744/51172).
and behind the left side shelter is the cruse air filter (https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... 8744/51171).

Making sawdust with 100% efficiency!

newday777
Location: Milford NH summer/fall & Oceanside, CA winters(N San Diego) with lots of miles riden between
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry 36,000 miles

1975 CB750 K5 Planet Blue 7,800 miles

1976 CB750 K6 Anterris Red 25,000 miles

Past rides
1999A Restored from PO neglect & sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Post by newday777 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:46 am

Garyd wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:21 pm
Not sure where to post this so I flipped a coin. :lol: Last month I picked up a 2000 se with side car. I rode for a week or so just to get a feel for the bike and to see if there are any major things raises its ugly head. runs smooth, has the typical idle surge, 750 - 1k till warmed up, late engagement of the cruise control The bike only has 12k on the clock. I decided to go ahead and flush the cooling system, change the oil, and all 3 filters. When I finally got to the air box I discovered a very clean K&N. The cruise and sub filters fell apart as soon as I touched them. (on order from cyclemax). I've change the plugs ( still looked new). To do the right bank I had to remove one of the sidecar brackets,,,,,and I don't really want to do that again :shock: . Is there anything else behind the right side lower fairing that I should take care of now before I put that side back together? Hats off to all the have posted some great DIY articles w/pics and very detailed discussions.

Ride safe
Garyd
Welcome to the forum and a good find on your bike.
Yes working on a side hack bike is challenging.

While you have it open....
Adjust the cruise cables.
Check reverse cable adjustments.
Clean all switches with electrical contact cleaner, reverse safety
Tighten the coolant hose clamps, flashlight and long screwdrivers or socket extensions....
Check the hack attachments for loose bolts, (rust is an indication of something loose).
Have some fun flyin the hack!

kyleboedeker
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by kyleboedeker » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:53 pm

CrystalPistol wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:29 pm
minimac wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:24 am
… , but it isn't any harder than a few screws and unlocking a few tabs usually. …
I don't mind the screws, small bolts, it's them chrome plastic caps on the screws that need to be glued back on if they are to be retained, and those tabs up front where parts come together under the radiators that I fret over. Have a few zip ties hidden now. :lol:
The grill up front is such a PITA. Mine is old and briddle and the tabs broke off about as soon as I touched it.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:53 pm

kyleboedeker wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:53 pm

The grill up front is such a PITA. Mine is old and briddle and the tabs broke off about as soon as I touched it.
I had problems where the lower center cowl interlocked with the lower sides.

Some 3/16" holes, and I use new long zip ties each time, oull tight when lock part is out of view, clip excess.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)