epoxy sealant/ adhesive

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
hwydoc2
Motorcycle: 2000 GL 1500 25th anniversary edition

epoxy sealant/ adhesive

Post by hwydoc2 »

I am looking for wisdom from the forum about what they would use to attach and seal the bottom of the saddle bags. Have a large patch at one of the attachment bolts that I have fabricated, but isn't adhering well Am looking for recommendations on the type of epoxy that you would choose to both attach the patch to the existing bag and seal it water tight. Thanks for all of your help with this matter.

Al in kazoo :oops: :oops:

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: epoxy sealant/ adhesive

Post by virgilmobile »

Not much adhears to abs plastic but abs glue.Avaiable at your local hardware store.
Search "how to repair abs plastic"

hwydoc2

Post by hwydoc2 »

virgilmobile wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:37 pm
Not much adhears to abs plastic but abs glue.Avaiable at your local hardware store.
Search "how to repair abs plastic"
Thanks Virgilmobile, on to google.

Al

Good Hondog
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Interstate

Post by Good Hondog »

Al, before you make the repair read here on the forum about using a mixture of ABS shavings and ABS cement mixed together. The resulting combination produces a nice liquid ABS adhesive that melts together with the ABS plastic of the Honda part you're fixing. I used this procedure to repair my side cover, fairing, and lower fairing with perfect results. It's as strong as an undamaged part would be when done. Just search the topic ABS slurry and you'll find lots of information on the forum here about how to do it.

hwydoc2

Post by hwydoc2 »

Good Hondog wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:26 pm
Al, before you make the repair read here on the forum about using a mixture of ABS shavings and ABS cement mixed together. The resulting combination produces a nice liquid ABS adhesive that melts together with the ABS plastic of the Honda part you're fixing. I used this procedure to repair my side cover, fairing, and lower fairing with perfect results. It's as strong as an undamaged part would be when done. Just search the topic ABS slurry and you'll find lots of information on the forum here about how to do it.
Thanks for your time and help, I will look into your suggestion

Al

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
Previous bikes:
1969 Honda CL90 “bobbed” before it was cool
1981 Yamaha 850 Triple w/Windjammer
1981 GL1100 Interstate
1985 GL1200 LTD
1988 GL1500
1988 GL1500

Post by RockportDave »

I plastic welded the cracks in the bottom of mine, but for a bigger job I believe the abs shavings mixture would work better.
You can use a soldering iron to tack it in place, then use the glue to bond it in.
Dave
1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

The ABS shavings and solvent works okay but I prefer Plast-Aid https://www.plast-aid.com/ or Plastex https://www.plastex.net/

They have worked very well for me.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

GlimWas
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE Canada Edition, Carbon Candy Blue
2014 NC750X DCT

Post by GlimWas »

Iv'e used ABS 'shavings' and MEK in wich the ABS melts and together it forms a ABS glue. This worked very good for my repairs last winter; almost all fixing points of the fairing were cracked or damaged in years of riding bad roads, but all is well now
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

GL1100 '80
GL1200 '87
GL1500 '94

hwydoc2

Post by hwydoc2 »

RockportDave wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:49 pm
I plastic welded the cracks in the bottom of mine, but for a bigger job I believe the abs shavings mixture would work better.
You can use a soldering iron to tack it in place, then use the glue to bond it in.
Dave
Dave thank you for your wisdom

Al

hwydoc2

Post by hwydoc2 »

GlimWas wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:47 am
Iv'e used ABS 'shavings' and MEK in wich the ABS melts and together it forms a ABS glue. This worked very good for my repairs last winter; almost all fixing points of the fairing were cracked or damaged in years of riding bad roads, but all is well now
Glimwas; that sounds like a major undertaking, glad it turened out well. Thanks for your input.

Al

hwydoc2

Post by hwydoc2 »

MikeB wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:05 am
The ABS shavings and solvent works okay but I prefer Plast-Aid https://www.plast-aid.com/ or Plastex https://www.plastex.net/

They have worked very well for me.
Mike B thanks for the information and link; this looks like interesting stuff and easier to work with than shavings and MEC. Will proably pick up a starter kit and give it a try.
Al

minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

I've used Plast-aid to remake tabs and it works great, but is a bit costly. I've also used ABS cement(glue) and it too has worked very well. If using ABS cement, make sure to pre-treat the area with solvent. Regular PVC solvent will work just fine for that purpose. If you can't find ABS cement, try a mobile home or travel trailer place.

hwydoc2

Post by hwydoc2 »

minimac wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:21 am
I've used Plast-aid to remake tabs and it works great, but is a bit costly. I've also used ABS cement(glue) and it too has worked very well. If using ABS cement, make sure to pre-treat the area with solvent. Regular PVC solvent will work just fine for that purpose. If you can't find ABS cement, try a mobile home or travel trailer place.
Minimac, thanks for your input; suspect that I will use the PVC solvent and cement this time, will use the Plast-aid in the future, though hopefully won't break anything more that needs repairing!!!

Al

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Make sure you're using ABS solvent, not PVC, and not "universal."

This is what I use, and it works better than anything else I've tried:

https://www.amazon.com/Oatey-30916-Spec ... ref=sr_1_9

I did a review on Plast-Aid here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22655

It worked, and it bonded well to the ABS. The problem with it is that it cures MUCH harder than ABS, which is relatively flexible. If the ABS flexes (which is bound to happen at a bolt attach point), the Plast-Aid will in all likelihood eventually crack free and the repair will fail.

The best, easiest and strongest repair is using ABS and ABS glue. I have done MANY of these kinds of repairs. I use ABS panels, cut them to fit, heat them to form to curves, then use ABS glue to bond them in place. The resulting repair is normally much stronger than the original piece, and will be a permanent repair. The end result is not one piece of plastic glued to another, which is what you get with pretty much every other type of repair. Instead, the ABS clue chemically melts the host ABS as well as the repair ABS, and when it cures, those pieces of plastic become a single piece of plastic. It is not possible for the glued repair to fail, because there is no more glue - it's just one stronger, thicker piece of ABS.

Similarly, making the ABS slurry out of ABS shavings and ABS glue (or MEK, the primary ingredient in ABS glue), you get a malleable substance that can be easily be formed to make up broken/missing pieces - much like Plast-Aid, but at a tiny fraction of the price.

hwydoc2

Post by hwydoc2 »

WingAdmin wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:30 pm
Make sure you're using ABS solvent, not PVC, and not "universal."

This is what I use, and it works better than anything else I've tried:

https://www.amazon.com/Oatey-30916-Spec ... ref=sr_1_9

I did a review on Plast-Aid here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22655

It worked, and it bonded well to the ABS. The problem with it is that it cures MUCH harder than ABS, which is relatively flexible. If the ABS flexes (which is bound to happen at a bolt attach point), the Plast-Aid will in all likelihood eventually crack free and the repair will fail.

The best, easiest and strongest repair is using ABS and ABS glue. I have done MANY of these kinds of repairs. I use ABS panels, cut them to fit, heat them to form to curves, then use ABS glue to bond them in place. The resulting repair is normally much stronger than the original piece, and will be a permanent repair. The end result is not one piece of plastic glued to another, which is what you get with pretty much every other type of repair. Instead, the ABS clue chemically melts the host ABS as well as the repair ABS, and when it cures, those pieces of plastic become a single piece of plastic. It is not possible for the glued repair to fail, because there is no more glue - it's just one stronger, thicker piece of ABS.

Similarly, making the ABS slurry out of ABS shavings and ABS glue (or MEK, the primary ingredient in ABS glue), you get a malleable substance that can be easily be formed to make up broken/missing pieces - much like Plast-Aid, but at a tiny fraction of the price.
Thank you admin; and yes I am aware that the glue/adhesive has to match the material, just my old timers misspeaking. Thank you again for your informative and though explanations on this and myriad other subjects.

Al in Kazoo