Sudden Loss of Power

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Sudden Loss of Power

Post by okie2ee »

After getting my bike, I've had a number of instances where I've lost power while cruising down the highway. Most of the time, the power would return after slowing down and throttling down. This happened to me like twice on a 700 mile trip, so it wasn't predictable and I couldn't pin it down to any particular action I was taking. Well, I finally solved the mystery on my last 3,000 mile ride when the bike finally stopped on me while getting back on the interstate highway. I had rebuilt the fuel shut off valve prior to leaving on the trip and had found that the diaphragm was not be held securely by the housing cover. While waiting for a tow truck, I decided to the check out the fuel flow and discovered the pump was working fine. So that immediately lead me to fuel shut off valve. I was able to bypass the valve and as soon as I did the bike started right up. I plugged the vacuum line to the valve and haven't touched it since and not another instance of loss of power while under acceleration ( I finally figured out the common action I was taking when the loss occurred). Apparently, the diaphragm was moving enough under high vacuum to cause the valve to close momentarily and then it would seal off and start working again. I'm wondering why I should replace the fuel shut off valve, bike is running fine and I don't believe I'm at risk of filling a cylinder up with gasoline. Has anyone used a gasket sealant type of material to hold the diaphragm firmly in place? Don't know what the cost of a new or used valve is.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Sudden Loss of Power

Post by virgilmobile »

The vacuum fuel valve can be replaced with a electric valve or mechanical valve.Just as long as it cuts the fuel supply at the end of the day.
And by the way.The 1500 absolutely can hydrolock without this valve.First hand knowledge about that.

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif »

A friend of mine was one of the first one in 87 to buy a new 88 Wing. It did not come from Honda with the ASV. after a few months they recalled it to put the shut off valve on due to fuel flowing into the carbs. You can bypass it to get you where you are going but don't keep it that way.
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

okie2ee
Motorcycle: 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate
1986 Yamaha V-Max
1994 Yamaha V-Max

Post by okie2ee »

Thanks for the feedback............on second thought I'm going to install an electric solenoid valve............it's been ordered and it's on its way. I've read about the hydraulic problem and even worked on a Chevy engine with a busted rod that had a similar problem with a coolant leak. I'm just not seeing how the gas flows from the tank thru the carbs. I'm not familiar with the carbs. Thanks for the info and warning, I'm sure first hand experience can make you a believer.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

okie2ee wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:37 pm
Thanks for the feedback............on second thought I'm going to install an electric solenoid valve............it's been ordered and it's on its way. I've read about the hydraulic problem and even worked on a Chevy engine with a busted rod that had a similar problem with a coolant leak. I'm just not seeing how the gas flows from the tank thru the carbs. I'm not familiar with the carbs. Thanks for the info and warning, I'm sure first hand experience can make you a believer.
If the tank is full, the top of the fuel tank is higher than the carb float bowls. All it takes is one needle valve in a float bowl to leak the tiniest amount, and over a reasonably short amount of time, you will have pistons (and crankcase) full of fuel.