Starting Issue with my GL1500 SE

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
4Radah
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500

Starting Issue with my GL1500 SE

Post by 4Radah »

Last year after a ride and I got home I noticed home I noticed the bike was smoking. I shut it down and the next day I went to start it and it was dead. I charged the battery, and afterwards, it started. I came out the next day and it would not start. I bought a new battery, cheap on Battery Plus. Put it in and the bike started. Rode a short trip to see if it would smoke but no smoke. The next morning going to ride but it would not start. I changed the alternator. Rode great all last year.

This year I went to start the bike and would start. The negative post on my battery had particularly melted off. I did not fine short. I charged the battery. The bike started, I rode it. It smoked again. The next day, I turn the switch and it pop and sizzles.
This is the current situation. I charge the battery, it starts, I ride a day or 2, and afterwards, I try to start it and it pop and sizzles and no power. This only happens when I try to start it and not when I turn the key for the lights chest, etc.

New battery (slightly melted negative post)
New Alternator (I did not change the rubber mounts)

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: Starting Issue with my GL1500 SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

If the terminal of the battery is loose, corroded or bad, it will create resistance that will cause voltage drop and it will turn into heat.

So you should replace the damaged terminal/post first.

4Radah
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500

Post by 4Radah »

This good. Do you think I need to replace the alternator mounts? I was wondering if they provide some measure of isolation. Thanks for quick feedback.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

Before deciding on something you should do some checks.

You can use a voltmeter to measure any possible voltage drop at a connection.

Normally there should not be any voltage reading between two points of the connection.

So if you read any voltage between for example the battery terminal and its connector, it is an indication of a bad contact.

And most of the time, you can feel the heat when you touch that connection if any voltage drop occurred.

For more details you can watch videos like below in this topic on YouTube.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!