Aftermarket fuse block identification?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
wezx
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500A

Aftermarket fuse block identification?

Post by wezx »

Can anyone help me identify the brand and/or model of this accessory fuse block? There are no markings on it of any kind and I'm trying to get a schematic of it...?

It's the same one as in this thread which is closed so I can't inquire there: https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2- ... tions.html

What is confusing is that I would assume that the left side is hot and the right side is ground, but there are hots on both sides and many on the right are not grounds but have voltage on them...?

For instance, with ignition ON the left bottom 2 have 12V (the other 7 have no voltage and are not grounds), the right bottom 1 has 12V and the right top 4 have 12V. There are 4 light up switches up by the right handle bar that control several accessories. Today, out of the blue the accessories all lost power and the light-up switches will not light. Everything else on the bike works as it should. If I jumper the left bottom 12V to the individual accessory terminals - left 2, 3, & 4 the accessories come on. Not anything simple like a fuse.
Attachments

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Aftermarket fuse block identification?

Post by DenverWinger »

A couple things you can check - Good chance the relay in the lower left of that panel is controlled by the "Accessory Power" terminals in the OEM fuse box, check the accessory fuse. If that's out it is likely several things on the Aftermarket fuse panel won't work.

Is it possible the PO stuck a label listing what all those fuses do on the inside of the battery Side Cover?

With all those circuits I wouldn't be surprised if there's a coffee maker hidden in the trunk :lol:
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by Rambozo »

I'd be willing to bet that it is just a basic fuse block and each screw connects to one side of each fuse. As to how it was wired into the bike, that was up to the person that installed it. You will have to reverse engineer the wiring to come up with a schematic. At least it looks like it was a good job. You will probably find some constant and some switched hots on one side and all the loads on the other side. No direct grounds to speak of. If you pull all the fuses you can trace out the circuits one at a time. Then you can make a schematic and a fuse list to put inside that cover.

Might be a microwave in the saddlebag to go with that coffee maker in the trunk.

Alan_Hepburn
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

Post by Alan_Hepburn »

That looks like a KRISS StarTron unit. No longer available, but here's some images that might help:
Attachments

Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
1994 GL1500SE with a California Sidecar

wezx

Post by wezx »

Hey, thanks so much everyone for responding! LOL, Alan I read your post with the Kriss info about 10 minutes after I found the paperwork for it in the box of papers the previous owner passed on...the guy kept EVERYTHING! Good deal! Yep, it's a Kriss Star-tron. A few things I've now figured out...
1. All the trailer lights work correctly.
2. Grounding each of the switch terminals on the right side of the block turns on those accessories so it appears the block is working correctly.
3. That would leave the 4 lighted switches as the culprit but it just seems weird to me that 4 switches would all go out all at once, no?

Funny thing is I never use the switches, as in turn them off, so I'm guessing I could technically just jumper the ground to all 4 switch terminals and be back up and running?

Don't have time to keep working on it right now but it looks like all 4 switches may share the same ground. Without tearing into it it looks like the 4 switches are daisy-chained which would make sense...if that ground is bad they wouldn't trigger the fuse block and wouldn't light up either...Hmmm, that may be it. That would explain all 4 going out at the same time.
Attachments

wezx

Post by wezx »

Well, got it fixed and wouldn’t you know it, all that trouble was caused by a broken ground in the wiring to the switches where it runs up the handlebar under the rubber handlebar cover. I swear every time I have an electrical issue on any vehicle or appliance or whatever...it’s a broken ground! LOL Thanks for the help guys!

ShineRunner
Motorcycle: 1972 Honda CB350, 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 1999 Kawasaki Vulcan "Eighty-Eight" 1500, 1992 Honda Goldwing 1500 Interstate.

Post by ShineRunner »

Thanks for posting this. My son bought me a 92 GL1500i for my birthday, and gave it to me Saturday evening. In preparing it to pass the state inspection, I'm tracking electrical gremlins. I removed the seat and trim above the gas tank to R&R all of the previous owner's add-on electrical circuits. I found something that looks like this wedged between the right saddlebag and the frame, but most of the paper labels have disintegrated. As I am already installing a sub-panel for the extra lighting curcuits, I only need a taillight converter to operate trailer lights. Would I be better to simply replace this with the Hopkins automotive converter ($30 at Autozone) or use the one I found? If that is the preferable option, could you send me higher quality pics of the instructions to install this one? Thanks in advance, I'm ECSTATIC that I've finally gotten a 'wing.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Highly recommend one of these for trailer lighting on a GL1500, I have one on mine...
https://www.cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl ... /129/59647

GL1500 wiring is adequate for what it needs to do, but isn't really designed for extra loading of trailer lighting. This relay lighting isolator is plug-and-play on a 1500, and it powers the trailer lights directly from the battery, the bike lighting circuits only trigger the relays so no additional load on the bike wiring.

It has 5 pin output (add your own connector) so if you plan to use 4 pin trailer circuit you will still need the 5 to 4 converter.

Welcome to the forum, and may your new 1500 give you many years of riding pleasure! Great birthday present!

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark