Belt adjuster bearing

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Belt adjuster bearing

Post by Corkster52 »

I will, with a friend, be replacing the timing belts on my bike soon and am thinking about possibly replacing the belt adjuster bearings as well, but I can't find info to buy just the bearings. I just can't see replacing the entire adjuster assemblies for $70-$90 each if they are okay. Does anyone have the information to buy just the bearings?

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: Belt adjuster bearing

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Why?

Are they noisy?

Are they rough when spun by hand?

If not, then the ones on the bike are just as likely as not to live longer than anything you buy now to put in place.

They have sealed bearings.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:36 pm
Why?

Are they noisy?

Are they rough when spun by hand?
I don't really know...yet. Will see what they are like when we open the old girl up and check things out. Just trying to be proactive. Will be doing the belt change at a friends house, on his lift, so I don't want to run into a situation where I have to leave my bike at his place until I order any needed parts. Ordered new springs and gaskets, so I thought, rather than spend the money for the complete adjuster assemblies, why not just grab the bearings instead?

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 »

I had looked through the first two and it didn't look like they were exactly the same bearings as may be in my bike. The last thread I had not seen, so thank you for that. It had some good additional stuff.

With having spent 40+ years in industry, I had gotten pretty good at sizing up bearings and seals for exactly replacements. Numbers on the bearings tell the tale of ID, OD, width and seal/shield arrangement. One of the photos in the last thread showed they are NTN 60-2 but, in looking further into the 282 NTN ball and roller bearing catalog, there are still quite a few variables.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

Well, in that case, you could inspect them and if needed, go back in later? If they ain't kicking up a rukus now, likely they'll last that long.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

I replaced mine. They weren't making noise or showing signs of failure. I had the bike really apart replacing a lot of other things. I guess I was thinking I'd make it a one and done service. Part of that was that the bearings were sealed and my bike was old. Maybe that was overkill but it gives me peace of mind. To be honest my original belts looked fine too. When I took them off the bike they seemed really ok. :roll:

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset