Is it time for a new battery?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Is it time for a new battery?

Post by Happytrails »

I have an Odyssey AGM battery thats about 6yrs old now in my goldwing. The bike is ridden regularly and when not in use the battery is hooked up to a battery tender jr. I'm usually a little proactive about maintenance but also not wanting to replace things that are perfectly ok. I've never had a battery in anything this long. Not noticing any problems but should I consider replacing this soon? Or maybe I should just run it until it goes and buy one of those jumper packs just in case? Would appreciate opinions :)

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1500F6C Valkyrie
1982 CX500 Turbo (Historic registration - finally)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500 (sold)

Re: Is it time for a new battery?

Post by Aussie81Interstate »

Keep running it till it fails - seems senseless to replace if it is ok - you could have it load tested?

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 »

That's a good battery to last for almost 6 years. I'd be tempted to keep doing what you've been doing and just keep an eye on it using your multimeter. Make mental notes of volts with "No Load", and volts with "Load" at the battery terminals. While doing that, check out the "web" for any special deals, or discounts on that same battery so when you eventually replace it, you'll save a few bucks.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

There are battery maintainers that have a setting for AGM batteries. My first AGM battery was a new PC680 Odyssey I put in my '97 GL1500 trike when purchased in August of 2004. In 2005 on a group ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway, about 80 miles from our motel stop, as we pulled in a gas stop at Orchard Gap, I saw my new voltmeter was down to under 11. My alternator had died. Sent group on ahead except one couple in their car (driver had a broke who's leg was in cast) and I would charge from his car, ride trike until volts were under 10, stop, grab cables and a quick recharge, go again. I got to motel with 3 or 4, maybe 5 stops like that, in rain, foggy, & I was pulling a trailer. I did NOT pull any fuses. Trike died at something under 8-9 volts in motel parking lot as I pulled in. Checked in, greeted friends, shower, supper. I swapped in a spare alternator a buddy had in his trailer next AM before coffee, no jumping, tried starting it, PC680 started it after bouncing back I guess. I figured that would kill my good battery, but "no".

I thought like you, "maybe it was time to replace it" in December 2015 when I found a deal on the PC680 at 4 Wheel Parts for about same price shipped as I paid at Batteries Plus store in 2004, I put the new one in early Spring 2016, and put the near 12 year old PC680 on the bench. I then put it in my '85 GL1200A that I was using to ride to and from my part time retired fart job, it never gave me reason to question it except it's growing age.
I sold the GL1200A last week, here in 2019. That same PC680 was in it still, and it fired up almost immediately when the guy came to look. I had a new second PC680 I had intended for the 1200, was gonna use the old one as back up, portable power, etc … but it thrived in the bike.

One tough battery.

I never got more than 2 or three years out of those wet cell regular batteries in the GL1200 … that I owned since 1995.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Snowmoer
Motorcycle: 2012 GL 1800
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

Post by Snowmoer »

6 years for a Oddssey is nothing. Mine is 8 years old and still going strong. I have even killed it twice by not turning the key off all the way. I drained it down in the ACC position. With keeping it on the maintainer, it should go at least 10 years. I normally get at least 8 years off a non Oddssey AGM battery when I keep it on my Deltran Battery Tender.

I would just get a jumper pack. That way you have it. You will more than likely use it to help other people with non Oddssey batteries! You can also use it to charge your phone if needed. You can also take it with you in your car if you like.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

Thanks for your help and the stories were good too. Makes me glad I asked. :)

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset