1994 GL1500 Aspencade No start condition

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
urinbiz
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade

1994 GL1500 Aspencade No start condition

Post by urinbiz »

1994 GL1500 Aspencade (with reverse)
No start condition.

(NOTE: I rode the bike at least 6 times this year and everything appeared in normal working condition)

Stop Engine switch is in “Run” position
Key is in “On” position, head lights, dash lights, tail lights are illuminated
Gear indicator is in “N” neutral
Reverse lever not engaged
Battery shows 12.4 volts on multimeter
As soon as I thumb the Start/Reverse button, I hear one short “click” and immediately all lights go out and the bike is “dead” not to mention the starter never engaged/cranked.

I turn the key to the “Off” position and then back to “On” and the bike remains “dead”, no lights at all.

I checked the following:

(Right leg side of bike)
Battery – still 12.4 volts
Main 30A fuse attached to starter solenoid switch next to battery – good
Main 55A fuse mounted near the battery – good
Reverse fuse – good

Speed Limiter 65A fuse underneath seat – good

(Left leg side of bike)
In the Fuse/Relay box
2 fuses both good
8 relays – tested each using the procedure outlined in the service manual: remove the relay, apply 12 volts to the right side upper and lower spades, with multimeter set to
R x 1, place leads on the left side upper and lower spades, you should see low resistance.
My results: I can hear each relay click as I apply 12 volts to the right side spades although some relays emit a louder click than others. 7 of 8 relays shows .3 ohms resistance when measured with 12 volts applied. The eighth relay (Gear Position) does not show any resistance.

I sprayed electrical cleaner in all sockets and reseated all relays. Turned the key to “On”
All the lights came back on again but when I thumbed the starter the same click and “dead” bike condition again.

If I rearrange the positions of relays, I can get back to square one, the lights come back on but as soon as I thumb the starter it all goes “dead” again. I re-arrange relays again, sometimes I get back to square one, sometimes I don’t. I tap lightly on relays, sometimes I get back to square one, sometimes I don’t.

I am considering purchasing 8 new relays to address any compromised ones, any thoughts on this or other trouble-shooting steps?

Full disclosure: I did install an aftermarket SoCalMotoGear Pathfinder LED headlight plug-n-play system designed specifically for my Goldwing and as I said earlier, I have ridden the bikes several times since installation without issue.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Re: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade No start condition

Post by bellboy40 »

Some things to check:
1. Look for loose or corroded battery terminals.
2. Measure voltage at the battery terminals while you try to start it. Shouldn't drop below about 11 volts or so.
3. Check the ground wire from the battery to the frame for looseness or corrosion.
4. Be sure the 30 amp main fuse is good. Get it in your hands. Sometimes they will appear to be good but will fall apart when handled.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Also check both battery wires, where the wires go into the terminals on the ends, as corrosion can occur inside the wire, causing this kind of problem.

The battery itself can also develop cracks in conductors inside of itself, which can cause this kind of fault.

urinbiz
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by urinbiz »

Thank you Bellboy40 and WingAdmin for your replies. I have checked out all of your suggestions respectively and believe there are no issues with any of them. What I have done in the interim is to attempt to isolate a possible bad relay in the cluster of 8 relays inside the left side fuse/relay box. I suspect the relay in position #7 is bad. Interesting, this is the only blue colored relay in the group of eight, as the other seven are all black in color. I have placed all black relays in the horn position one by one and get the
horn to sound each time leading me to believe all black relays are good. I did the same test placing them in the "Headlight Low" position #8 with the same positive results.

See the attached pictures of the relays, one of the eight relays is blue in color, in position 7 per the diagram,
the other seven are black. If you look real close at the picture showing one black relay and the blue relay side by side,
you can see the black relay has "ears" on both sides. The "ears"/clips snap into the sides of each socket
on the relay block. The blue relay has no "ears" hence fits flush in it's position #7

I cannot place a black relay with "ears" in position #7 because these ears do not allow it to fully seat in position,
the relay block does not have the required openings on the sides of this position to allow the clips to snap in.

I suspect that this blue relay is bad but cannot swap a black relay to the blue relays position unless I cut off
the ears. I have a known good relay in the "horn" position #1 in the relay box. If I swap the blue relay from
position 7 to position 1, it will fit with or without "ears", but the opposite is not true. I cannot place any of the
black relays with "ears" into position 7 where the blue relay is. With the blue relay in the "horn" position, key
turned on, the horn will NOT sound, hence leading me to believe the blue relay is bad.

The question I have is what is the difference if any mechanically/spec-wise
if any, between the blue relay and a black relay? Could I cut off the ears on a black one and place it in the
blue relay's position without harm?

My theory is if the relay in position 7, actually called the "position" relay (as in gear position) is bad, is it telling
the on board ECM computer that the bike is not in nuetral, hence should not allow it to start for safety and the
second I thumb the starter, it shuts everything down?
Attachments

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

Just going by memory here ??? Relay #7 "position" is for the "position" lights. Turn signals and such. It is the only relay that can't be interchanged with the others because it is a normally closed contacts relay. When power is applied the contacts open.... all others are normally open contacts.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Did you put a voltmeter on the battery terminals and see what it reads while trying to start the bike?
Results?